Could GOP plans spur the inflation the party pledges to end?

Winston

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2016
North Carolina
The irony is, Trump’s platform — including tax cuts, tariff increases and a crackdown on immigration — would, in the view of many economists and investors, stoke price pressures. As the Federal Reserve prepares to start monetary easing, the potential shift in an array of policies looms as a risk for sustained interest-rate cuts in 2025.

Given the vagueness of the Republican platform I am wondering if anyone has any idea of just what a Trump administration will actually do to combat inflation. Even within that vagueness we find three inflationary proposals. Tariffs, elimination of immigration and mass deportations, and tax cuts. What policy proposals will counter those inflationary drivers?

I am not interested in the whole oil and gas production thing, the drill baby drill bullshit. Under Biden oil production and gas production have exceeded even Trump's best year, prior to the Covid pandemic. That dog ain't going to hunt. Trump could ban the export of crude and natural gas, that would certainly influence prices downwards, but I have seen no proposal of that and considering the influence of the oil and gas industry, not seeing it happening.

The irony is, Trump’s platform — including tax cuts, tariff increases and a crackdown on immigration — would, in the view of many economists and investors, stoke price pressures. As the Federal Reserve prepares to start monetary easing, the potential shift in an array of policies looms as a risk for sustained interest-rate cuts in 2025.

Given the vagueness of the Republican platform I am wondering if anyone has any idea of just what a Trump administration will actually do to combat inflation. Even within that vagueness we find three inflationary proposals. Tariffs, elimination of immigration and mass deportations, and tax cuts. What policy proposals will counter those inflationary drivers?

I am not interested in the whole oil and gas production thing, the drill baby drill bullshit. Under Biden oil production and gas production have exceeded even Trump's best year, prior to the Covid pandemic. That dog ain't going to hunt. Trump could ban the export of crude and natural gas, that would certainly influence prices downwards, but I have seen no proposal of that and considering the influence of the oil and gas industry, not seeing it happening.

Booting 10 million illegal aliens will ease housing inflation.

Booting 10 million illegal aliens will ease housing inflation.
That is true, but that is 10 million workers out of the labor force. Granted, housing cost comprise one third of the basket of goods used in calculating CPI. And housing costs are slated to come down due to an expansion in building. When those units come on-line you will see a decrease in cost. But construction and material cost are going to increase with the loss of that labor force.

Besides, the housing, or what the CPI calls "shelter cost", is a ghost number. It is calculated as the cost a homeowner would have to pay if they were renting their home. My home would probably rent for over two thousand dollars a month, it is paid for and just cost me the property taxes. The second biggest component is food, at almost 14%, even if you fall for the "drill baby drill bullshit, energy costs only comprise a little under 8%, health care costs are almost the same. What is the Republican plan for healthcare?

Could, would, should? It's not a post about politics, it's more desperate rhetoric on the left. The key to inflation reduction is energy independence. That's where the GOP is headed.

Could, would, should? It's not a post about politics, it's more desperate rhetoric on the left. The key to inflation reduction is energy independence. That's where the GOP is headed.
So drilling alot more and keeping it all here is paramount. V

Inflation was fine under Trump

Next question.

A government spending more than it takes in, spurs inflation. Period. It doesn't matter which party is in IF, they shrink the government's spending, including shrinking the size of the government.

Why are your posts so angry? Joe??
My posts are angry because I can tell, we are all about to get fucked. I mean this election is a foregone conclusion. It is Trump's to lose and I am not seeing that happen. And worse, I am seeing the Republican party take the House, the Senate, and the Executive. Bend over, get out the vaseline, it is flippin coming. The markets are already indicating as much.

And the reason, you people are flippin stupid.

To give the suffrage to tramps, to paupers, to men to whom the chance to labor is a boon, to men who must beg, or steal, or starve, is to invoke destruction. To put political power in the hands of men embittered and degraded by poverty is to tie firebrands to foxes and turn them loose amid the standing corn; it is to put out the eyes of a Samson and to twine his arms around the pillars of national life.

150 years ago, Henry George laid this all out. I am a Georgist, and damn proud of it. Not really hard to be proud to the same political bent as Albert Einstein or Winston Churchill.

Forum List

Back