Could Polygamists Sue To Marry In California Right Now?

If polygamists sued for marriage equality RIGHT NOW in California, would they win?

• Yes, no consenting adult should be denied the ability to marry, the 9th would confirm that.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Maybe. But I think the 9th would make a distinction between gays and polygamists.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No, polygamy is wrong because their lifestyle has indications of being damaging to kids.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, polgamy is wrong because it's more than two people.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, polygamy is not workable in the family courts.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Polygamy should be legal, if I want to have 2 wives whos business is it to deny me?
Well you'll be happy to know that in all these states recently stripped of their sovereign laws defining marriage, polygamy IS legal....as legal as gay marriage or any other description in law once forbidden and now defunct-in-limbo/attrition...

March right up to the county clerk's office polygamists. Strike while the iron is hot!

The U.S. District Court, District of Utah, Central Division has ruled that plural marriages do not constitute a crime. While this does not open the door immediately to plural marriage licenses or other rights, it does one thing – families that practice polygamy may not be persecuted by the state as criminals. The case, brought by the former Utah family of Cody Brown and his 4 wives, who had to flee Utah to escape state persecution, was represented by Jonathan Turley as its lead counsel. Turley wrote on his blog that U.S. District Court Judge Clarke Waddoups had struck down key portions of the Utah polygamy law as unconstitutional. Turley observed, “With this decision, families like the Browns can now be both plural and legal in the state of Utah. The Court struck down the provision as violating both the free exercise clause of the First Amendment as well as the due process clause. - See more at: Polygamy in Utah Decriminalized by Federal Court JD Journal

Right now, today, polygamists may have as much access to the county clerks offices for a legal document to marry as any gay person. I still await a detailed legal explanation of how that could not be.

The U.S. District Court, District of Utah, Central Division has ruled that plural marriages do not constitute a crime. While this does not open the door immediately to plural marriage licenses or other rights, it does one thing – families that practice polygamy may not be persecuted by the state as criminals. The case, brought by the former Utah family of Cody Brown and his 4 wives, who had to flee Utah to escape state persecution, was represented by Jonathan Turley as its lead counsel. Turley wrote on his blog that U.S. District Court Judge Clarke Waddoups had struck down key portions of the Utah polygamy law as unconstitutional. Turley observed, “With this decision, families like the Browns can now be both plural and legal in the state of Utah. The Court struck down the provision as violating both the free exercise clause of the First Amendment as well as the due process clause. - See more at: Polygamy in Utah Decriminalized by Federal Court JD Journal

Right now, today, polygamists may have as much access to the county clerks offices for a legal document to marry as any gay person. I still await a detailed legal explanation of how that could not be.

... Plus, Jacob had two wives ... you know ... Rachel and Leah. He did it and he was the man who fathered the Jews.

Sounds good to me.

Polygamy should be legal, if I want to have 2 wives whos business is it to deny me?
Well you'll be happy to know that in all these states recently stripped of their sovereign laws defining marriage, polygamy IS legal....as legal as gay marriage or any other description in law once forbidden and now defunct-in-limbo/attrition...

March right up to the county clerk's office polygamists. Strike while the iron is hot!

You are 100% wrong. Polygamy is still illegal all across america. I personally don't care, though.

You are 100% wrong. Polygamy is still illegal all across america. I personally don't care, though.
How so? Can you please quote me the laws? You're aware that an appelate court ruled that polygamy was deciminalized as to the Brown v Utah case very recently, yes? Why would they be legally-excluded as to marriage equality to dead laws that no longer are binding in the interim?

You still haven't answered how that is?

Are you citing marriage laws that say marriage is only "between a man and a woman"? If so, then polygamy right now is as legal as gay marriage.

Forum List

Back