Could we fix the English language so every word has only one meaning?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Could we assign a group of Linguists to fix the English language so that every word has only one meaning and also provide the country with a rigidly defined, official specification? Words would have to broken up into about a dozen different words to allow no ambiguity. The grammar could be made extremely crude and inflexible as well. Imagine a language that allowed no word play on double meanings and no ambiguity. How great would that be?

you'd have to make up a lot of new words...

Would forward be a direction, or basketball position?

ever been in a boat on a lake, and have to duck a duck?

Could we assign a group of Linguists to fix the English language so that every word has only one meaning and also provide the country with a rigidly defined, official specification? Words would have to broken up into about a dozen different words to allow no ambiguity. The grammar could be made extremely crude and inflexible as well. Imagine a language that allowed no word play on double meanings and no ambiguity. How great would that be?

No.

Next question.

Interesting. Somehow I don’t see it happening though

In trouble with the wife again I see.

I like it!

so READ (to read a book) and READ (having READ the book) will have to change!

same with LEAD and LEAD....

we won't be able to LEAD the men to the LEAD mine any more.....

and.....let's get rid of Q....since it generally just sounds like KW anyway....

Would we would have to bring Shakespeare back from the dead so he could rewrite all his shit. :dunno:

No. Because the left will always manipulate words to fit 5heir agenda.

Why bother?

It was being bastardized before "texting" became a thing. Punctuation and grammar are a thing of the past.

i-jcPjJ8r-S.png

I believe that removing ambiguities eliminates a barrier that stands in the way of increasing the scope of what can be defined. Imagine having an official definition of music, art, and even meaning itself, a helpful book to guide us if you will. Not only that, the level of descriptive writing it would encourage is inspiring.

Our ability to analyze and express our analysis are the primary limits we struggle with in life. Our ability to analyze is what we are as individuals and our ability to express our analysis defines us in the minds of others. Language is our primary tool of expression, which by definition makes it both the most enabling and yet limiting tool at our disposal when interacting with the world. Many attempts to solve problems arise from flaws in communication and we all to at least some extent go through life trapped inside ourselves as a result of this. The lack of precision in our language is a hinderance in m opinion.

Last edited:

Well now you are just being impossible!

Next someone will be down in Australia and when asked about a good rooting they will not know it is sex...

I love the play on English words like Gay and so on because it is hilarious to watch some go full nutter over the play on words!

No.

Next question.

Should they learn French instead?

Well now you are just being impossible!

Next someone will be down in Australia and when asked about a good rooting they will not know it is sex...

I love the play on English words like Gay and so on because it is hilarious to watch some go full nutter over the play on words!

Just as long as you remember to knock me up in the morning.

Trying to make an English person not to do double entendres is tantamount to murder.

It is not the lack of precision on the part of the tongue we speak, but on the part of the uneducated ears that possess such a paltry vocabulary. Thus, as mentioned above, education is the answer, not regulation of a living language

That's not a problem. People will simply have to learn more words, many more words, and memorize their exact definitions.

I believe that removing ambiguities eliminates a barrier that stands in the way of increasing the scope of what can be defined. Imagine having an official definition of music, art, and even meaning itself, a helpful book to guide us if you will. Not only that, the level of descriptive writing it would encourage is inspiring.

Our ability to analyze and express our analysis are the primary limits we struggle with in life. Our ability to analyze is what we are as individuals and our ability to express our analysis defines us in the minds of others. Language is our primary tool of expression, which by definition makes it both the most enabling and yet limiting tool at our disposal when interacting with the world. Many attempts to solve problems arise from flaws in communication and we all to at least some extent go through life trapped inside ourselves as a result of this. The lack of precision in our language is a hinderance in m opinion.
I think the answer is called increasing your vocabulary. There are plenty of words out there that offer nuanced meaning to a concept; it's just that most people don't know/use them.

If you want to make up some new words, though, feel free. A lot of great writers have.

Forum List

Back