Cowardice: WSJ Editor Says His Newspaper Won’t Call Trump’s Lies ‘Lies’

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON ― Wall Street Journal Editor-in-Chief Gerard Baker said his newspaper would not refer to false statements from the Trump administration as “lies,” because doing so would ascribe a “moral intent” to the statements.

Baker appeared on NBC’s “Meet The Press” Sunday, where he described some of President-elect Donald Trump’s falsehoods as “questionable” and “challengeable.” But, he said, “I’d be careful about using the word ‘lie.’ ‘Lie’ implies much more than just saying something that’s false. It implies a deliberate intent to mislead.”

He said reporters should state the facts, but leave classifying them to readers, citing the example of Trump’s claim that thousands of Muslims in New Jersey were celebrating on 9/11 (which is false).

“I think it’s then up to the reader to make up their own mind to say, ‘This is what Donald Trump says. This is what a reliable, trustworthy news organization reports. And you know what? I don’t think that’s true.’”

The New York Times editorial board has used “lie” to describe Trump’s rampant abuse of facts. And Washington Post conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin has taken the media to task for not using the word. Other outlets ― including MSNBC,New York Magazine and HuffPost ― will use the word when it’s merited.

But Baker said that in doing so, “you run the risk that you look like you are, you’re not being, objective.”

More: Cowardice: WSJ Editor Says His Newspaper Won’t Call Trump’s Lies ‘Lies’

A lie is a lie - and should not be left to "intent" or "interpretation"!

WASHINGTON ― Wall Street Journal Editor-in-Chief Gerard Baker said his newspaper would not refer to false statements from the Trump administration as “lies,” because doing so would ascribe a “moral intent” to the statements.

Baker appeared on NBC’s “Meet The Press” Sunday, where he described some of President-elect Donald Trump’s falsehoods as “questionable” and “challengeable.” But, he said, “I’d be careful about using the word ‘lie.’ ‘Lie’ implies much more than just saying something that’s false. It implies a deliberate intent to mislead.”

He said reporters should state the facts, but leave classifying them to readers, citing the example of Trump’s claim that thousands of Muslims in New Jersey were celebrating on 9/11 (which is false).

“I think it’s then up to the reader to make up their own mind to say, ‘This is what Donald Trump says. This is what a reliable, trustworthy news organization reports. And you know what? I don’t think that’s true.’”

The New York Times editorial board has used “lie” to describe Trump’s rampant abuse of facts. And Washington Post conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin has taken the media to task for not using the word. Other outlets ― including MSNBC,New York Magazine and HuffPost ― will use the word when it’s merited.

But Baker said that in doing so, “you run the risk that you look like you are, you’re not being, objective.”

It's a tabloid...who cares?

Just kick back and enjoy the first season of reality america, it's gonna be great.

Just kick back and enjoy the first season of reality america, it's gonna be great.
I sure hope whatever trash can you're from doesn't need any help from the USA, because if do, it will cost.

I saw that interview, and I agree with the editor. "Lie" is a loaded word that infers an intentional deception and also closes the ears of his supporters as soon as they hear it. Just provide the facts on the other side and keep the judgment out of it. People can decide. It isn't cowardice; it is an attempt to be heard by everyone.

Lets see a lie, PROVE ONE !!!!!!!! Oh yeah he said she said, Wheres the lie? He said she said isn't a lie, Projecting something is not a lie, it is a projection. PROVE THE LIE like they proved shitbitches. WHAT LIE? Trump didn't say the "IRS wont let me release my taxes did he"? HE didn't say women who have abortions must have some kind of punishment did he? What were all of those LIES??? I am sure he has told some but hey remember "it's just about sex and that doesn't matter" does it billy?

Lets see a lie, PROVE ONE !!!!!!!! Oh yeah he said she said, Wheres the lie? He said she said isn't a lie, Projecting something is not a lie, it is a projection. PROVE THE LIE like they proved shitbitches. WHAT LIE? Trump didn't say the "IRS wont let me release my taxes did he"? HE didn't say women who have abortions must have some kind of punishment did he? What were all of those LIES??? I am sure he has told some but hey remember "it's just about sex and that doesn't matter" does it billy?

Why don't you calm down and take another pass at this, there may be something in there somewhere.

Great, more bullshit where we can't call things what they are. Can't call racists racists because that's "racist".

Can't call a trans man a man.

Don't call a lie a lie because that's harsh. No, not the lying. Identifying the lie as a lie is hurtful.

America the land of double talk

Before the election, this thread would have been sent to the Badlands or blown up by a mod after a stern lecture.
Behave yourselves, boys.

Great, more bullshit where we can't call things what they are. Can't call racists racists because that's "racist".

Can't call a trans man a man.

Don't call a lie a lie because that's harsh. No, not the lying. Identifying the lie as a lie is hurtful.

America the land of double talk
It's how I "educate" my super conservative students who are full of InfoWars fairy tales. I just tell them the facts as additional information they may not have heard. Sometimes they hear me. If I hollered and told them they were wrong and the stories weren't true, do you think they'd listen or just shut me off as a "liberal lunatic?"

The WSJ will try some "Well the statements don't reflect the reality on the ground in those areas"

And the right will moan about it and say the words are harsh

Trump will respond by saying "They are trash and liars"

And the right will cheer those harsh words while chanting lock them up.

Forum List

Back