CPAC Presidential Straw Poll Picks Guy Who Thinks Whites-Only Lunch Counters Should B

In 2013, Paul endorsed a long-ago overruled Supreme Court decision called Lochner v. New York. The Court’s Lochner opinion relied on a fabricated “right to contract” that it and subsequent cases used to strike down various laws protecting workers from exploitative employers
The notion of ‘returning’ to a pre-Lochner legal/economic paradigm is the most egregious manifestation of ignorant, reckless, and irresponsible rightwing reactionaryism.

This is the 21st Century, we exist in a global economy, and commerce occurs in interrelated markets both National and international. Libertarians and most on the right harbor a pathetic and naïve fantasy of reinstating anachronistic economic doctrines such as ‘freedom of contract’ which have been neither valid nor applicable for over 100 years – and for good reason: such doctrines are no longer capable of sustaining a modern, industrialized, first world economy as exists in the United States and most Western nations.

Indeed, by the second quarter of the 20th Century, the courts had wisely and appropriately acknowledged the reality of a modern economy and the true nature of the American workplace common to most Americans:

The [Washington State] legislature was entitled to adopt measures to reduce the evils of the "sweating system," [p399] the exploiting of workers at wages so low as to be insufficient to meet the bare cost of living, thus making their very helplessness the occasion of a most injurious competition.

There is no absolute freedom to do as one wills or to contract as one chooses. The guaranty of liberty does not withdraw from legislative supervision that wide department of activity which consists of the making of contracts, or deny to government the power to provide restrictive safeguards. Liberty implies the absence of arbitrary restraint, not immunity from reasonable regulations and prohibitions imposed in the interests of the community. The legislature had the right to consider that its minimum wage requirements would be an important aid in carrying out its policy of protection. The adoption of similar requirements by many States evidences a deep-seated conviction both as to the presence of the evil and as to the means adapted to check it. Legislative response to that conviction cannot be regarded as arbitrary or capricious, and that is all we have to decide. Even if the wisdom of the policy be regarded as debatable and its effects uncertain, still the legislature is entitled to its judgment.

West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish (1937)

This is going to be fun.

What, exactly, makes you the ultimate authority on Lochner? Are you aware that a lot of scholars, both conservatives and liberal, think Lochner was one of the worst decisions the court ever handed down?

did you not know QW?.....No_Reply_Jones is an Attorney....or so i am told by others here....

The law says you will be served. And the law is correct.

the law also says murder is illegal, so I guess murders don't actually happen.

Try thinking next time.

Try not making an idiotic statement next time, or if you are being sarcastic, add the mention of it. You are new to the board, so your ideological bent is not known.

You are getting negged, however for being a snarky asshat, whatever your alignment.

A secular country doesn't have a National day of Prayer, and I suspect you are lying regardless. And you don't run someone with a "religion" others won't vote for, unless you wish to lose that is.
This isn't a secular country. It's a religious country with secular laws.
It's a Secular country with many religious people and freedoms.

"endowed by their creator" is not a secular statement
"In God we trust" is not a secular statement
"under God" is not a secular statement

our entire statute of laws is based on the judeo/christian code of right and wrong.

I know that you don't believe in anything but the founders did and most of america still does.

YOU are the minority, my sad little frog. Maybe there is a place for you in north korea. they believe as you do.

If I go into a black bar in the lower ninth ward of New Orleans I will not be served, I will be asked to leave, if I refuse I wll be thrown out or worse.

I've never been thrown out of anywhere and I have been to some pretty homogeneous (other than me) places.

Maybe it's you.

Did you wear your bed sheet and hood again ???????

(don't spaz - it's just a joke)

This whole line is really just a smear campaign by the establishment or their unwitting tools.

Rand Paul would really threaten change in America, on some important grounds including privacy, and they cant stand that thought. So they hype up this line of attack. It's pathetic. Do they really think that if elected Rand would bring back segregation?!!! How FUCKING STUPID.

our entire statute of laws is based on the judeo/christian code of right and wrong.

No it's not.
How many of the 10 commandments are in our laws?

3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me. Nope

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. Nope

7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. Nope

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. Nope

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. Nope

13 “You shall not murder. Yep

14 “You shall not commit adultery. Nope

15 “You shall not steal. Yep

16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. Yep

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Nope

So three out of 10 - and all three of those existed in many other systems

Last edited:
This whole line is really just a smear campaign by the establishment or their unwitting tools.

Rand Paul would really threaten change in America, on some important grounds including privacy, and they cant stand that thought. So they hype up this line of attack. It's pathetic. Do they really think that if elected Rand would bring back segregation?!!! How FUCKING STUPID.

no one wants segregation.

Last edited:

I know that you don't believe in anything but the founders did and most of america still does.

YOU are the minority, my sad little frog. Maybe there is a place for you in north korea. they believe as you do.

North Korea is your kind of place and your god got no mention in the Constitution, and a religious test for public office was forbidden. Your dog won't hunt and stop believe the nonsense David Barton spews. He's wrong.

Rand Pauls father also won the CPAC poll two years in a row

Didn't help him at all

or Giuliani.

but they might actually have gotten it right this time. will be interesting to see how the randian plagiarizer who likes white supremacists and who doesn't think there should be a civil rights act and wants an isolationist foreign policy does

If I go into a black bar in the lower ninth ward of New Orleans I will not be served, I will be asked to leave, if I refuse I wll be thrown out or worse.

I've never been thrown out of anywhere and I have been to some pretty homogeneous (other than me) places.

Maybe it's you.

I generally leave the hood and sheet at home when I go to that part of town :eusa_whistle:

Maybe it's you.

I generally leave the hood and sheet at home when I go to that part of town :eusa_whistle:
Good plan. remind ORION of that.

the first amendment protects us from you.

the founders were deists... not Christians and they didn't want anyone's religion forced down anyone's throat or there wouldn't be a first amendment and the constitution wouldn't have specifically prohibited religious tests to obtain public office.

if he is the minority, HE is the one the constitution was supposed to protect from you. a constitution isn't needed to protect the "majority" (even a self-professed one).

see how that works.

It amazes me that liberals/progressives know more about CPAC and Conservatives that they know about their own liberal/progressive candidates. Maybe if they paid as much attention to who they were told to vote for our country wouldn't be so screwed up.

lol, no kidding
who are they fooling with titles like that?
only THEIR low information voters like the OP
Like I said, its a ugly tactic they have and all for WHAT? POLITICS

A good candidate that 20% of the population wouldn't for because if his cult? Think again.

those same people did not vote for Kennedy because the thought the pope would be running the country---------didn't happen.

How would you feel about a muslim president? how about a buddhist? wicken? atheist? southern baptist? anglican? shinto? hindu? druid?

You bring up the mormon thing because it can be used to scare people and help libtards like obama take control.

obama cancelled the national day of prayer but participated in a muslim day of prayer in DC. Does that bother you at all? or does party trump all else? fuckin idiot.
A secular country doesn't have a National day of Prayer, and I suspect you are lying regardless. And you don't run someone with a "religion" others won't vote for, unless you wish to lose that is.

We are not a secular country.

President George Washington's National Day of Prayer

Thanksgiving Proclamation

Issued by President George Washington, at the request of Congress, on October 3, 1789

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and—Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me “to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:”

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favor, able interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go. Washington

the law also says murder is illegal, so I guess murders don't actually happen.

Try thinking next time.

Try not making an idiotic statement next time, or if you are being sarcastic, add the mention of it. You are new to the board, so your ideological bent is not known.

You are getting negged, however for being a snarky asshat, whatever your alignment.

you're right, I have made the mistake of trying to have an honest discussion with this idiot. I will no waste any more time with the idiot. I may add him to my ignore list.

Forum List

Back