CPAC: Speaker pledges end of American democracy to wild applause.

No, but you're too afraid to admit that's exactly what the "elected representatives" do by gerrymandering.

Is it still a Republic if the government can distort the elections to ensure they maintain a majority without having the support from the majority of the public?
I heard those democrats are mother fuckers at gerrymandering,,

Ah, so the best you can do is call it a "gotcha" when faced with a question that would require you to admit your party's disregard for what it means to be a constitutional republic.

That's like when Sarah Palin called it a "gotcha" when she was asked what she reads.

A "gotcha" question is any question that would expose something that you don't want to admit.

You don't want to admit that Republicans don't give a fuck about rights. Palin didn't want to admit she is an ignorant moron.

No disregard on our part. You just want Republicans to ignore cheating when it suits democrats.

Meanwhile your own lawfare is A-OK in your book.

No disregard on our part. You just want Republicans to ignore cheating when it suits democrats.

Meanwhile your own lawfare is A-OK in your book.
And what's to stop you from making up allegations of "cheating" to change the outcome of elections?

Yes, a republic's head of state is called a president and a King or Queen as head of state is called a constitutional democracy.

It's just all word play. Democracy is where the people make the laws, if everyone voted on all laws, that's pure direct democracy. But everyone can't fit into Congress/the Commons, so you vote for a person to represent you to vote on the laws. Read about Switzerland and direct democracy.

Whether or not the US constitution contains the word democracy, in modern political terminology, the part where you vote for someone to represent you in making laws, that bit is called representative democracy.

Edit - if you say Republic and I say Republic with representative democracy, both are right, it doesn't effect how America runs or is running.
You are right...

BTW, I worked in Switzerland for about 6 months once... The voting is pretty funny... They seem to vote on Sundays (but they can vote all week) and it is mainly online (I think there is a phone app as well). So when I was there there was about 4 laws they were voting on and the lads would be discussing them at lunch, mainly to ask 'what the hell are they...'
One which they all knew was hanging your washing out on Sundays was banned in Switzerland and there was a vote to reverse that.. The laugh was this was the one with the most discussion because everyone knew what that one was about. But it was very civilized way they spoke about it, everyone could see the pros and cons..

America has one of the less representative democracies when compared to its ally countries... European Countries have mainly gone for preference voting with multiseat districts... This creates more choice and more parties rather than the duopoly created by one man one vote in US...
The other thing is the US Constitution, it is very hard to amend and thus in international terms it is considered a dead constitution as it doesn't move with the people but is revered as a historical document.
These are the way US Citizens want to run their country but other countries are moving away from this...

someone got to be first,, especially when there are only two choices,,
Dems make a lot more noise about ending gerrymandering. Republicans are nearly silent on the issue.

But pointing fingers is besides the point. I wasn't making this a partisan issue.

The question is whether we are still a Republic if we are so gerrymandered that a minority can maintain control of the government without the support of a majority of the public?

I don't play word games with spectrum riding idiots.

(Here's a hint, that's you I'm referring to)
What "word game" are you talking about?

I was just asking what's to stop you (not you specifically but in anyone in general) from inventing "fraud" and using that as an excuse to alter the outcome of the election?

I think you're just afraid to answer the question honestly.

Dems make a lot more noise about ending gerrymandering. Republicans are nearly silent on the issue.

But pointing fingers is besides the point. I wasn't making this a partisan issue.

The question is whether we are still a Republic if we are so gerrymandered that a minority can maintain control of the government without the support of a majority of the public?

No, they make noise about ending it for Republicans why they keep doing it on the sly.

No fraud occurring would stop it.
The premise of the question is that there is no fraud. What's to prevent someone from inventing fraud that doesn't exist and using it as an excuse to change the outcome of the election?

So again, can you answer the question honestly?

The premise of the question is that there is no fraud. What's to prevent someone from inventing fraud that doesn't exist and using it as an excuse to change the outcome of the election?

There was fraud, so your premise is moot.

its so cute you think noise means anything,, they could stop right now and wont do it,,

rigged is a more accurate description,,

You are right...

BTW, I worked in Switzerland for about 6 months once... The voting is pretty funny... They seem to vote on Sundays (but they can vote all week) and it is mainly online (I think there is a phone app as well). So when I was there there was about 4 laws they were voting on and the lads would be discussing them at lunch, mainly to ask 'what the hell are they...'
One which they all knew was hanging your washing out on Sundays was banned in Switzerland and there was a vote to reverse that.. The laugh was this was the one with the most discussion because everyone knew what that one was about. But it was very civilized way they spoke about it, everyone could see the pros and cons..

America has one of the less representative democracies when compared to its ally countries... European Countries have mainly gone for preference voting with multiseat districts... This creates more choice and more parties rather than the duopoly created by one man one vote in US...
The other thing is the US Constitution, it is very hard to amend and thus in international terms it is considered a dead constitution as it doesn't move with the people but is revered as a historical document.
These are the way US Citizens want to run their country but other countries are moving away from this...
Thank you for that, very interesting.

Here in the UK, local MP's once a week hold a surgery where he/she meets the public to discuss concerns, current events etc.. Now Naively, someone might think, "My local MP gathers his/her constituents interests/thoughts and votes appropriately on laws". But in reality, many ignore their constituents and vote "allegedly " in the best interests for their constituents, which is usually the opposite position.

Online, you can pose a question for MP's to read and answer in the commons, if it receives enough public votes. They just usually answer saying, "Nah".

So I think the UK should be more like Switzerland.

Forum List

Back