Craftsman announces US factory closing...

I believe those that make handtools are Stanley Black & Decker factories...
Could be, there's so much smoke and mirrors in mfg. these days, you don't know what is true and what is misleading. I worked for a large winery and they would run multiple lines bottling the same wine from the same tank with different brand labeling and glassware.

The end of an era for shadetree mechanics and do-it-yourselfers.

My first new tools were Craftsman, my Dad's tools were Craftsman, his Dad's tools were Craftsman.

You broke it, Sears replaced it...no questions asked.

Been awhile seen that policy was in force, but still sad to see them go...

"Craftsman will be discontinuing operations at their Fort Worth, Texas facility, where they were working to produce new USA-made hand tools.

Stanley Black & Decker announced the new 425,000 square foot factory in mid-2019, where they planned to produce Craftsman mechanics hand tools, including ratchets, wrenches, sockets, and tool sets.

In late-2022, Craftsman said that the factory was open, operating, and producing tools.

In a conversation I had today with a Craftsman executive, I was told that they expect for the factory to be closed by mid-2024."

Craftsman is Closing its USA Hand Tools Factory
Does this mean there is no longer a lifetime warranty?

Yeah,they shut down the SEARS Hardware near my house a couple years ago.
And they changed the warranty on tools. Used to be able to return them to any Sears now you have to return them to the Sears you bought them from.
There are more option on hand tools these days than there was 20 or 30 years ago so that helps.

Most Sears stores have been shut down. If you are in possession of Craftsman tools that were bought at Sears, then there is a very good chance that the Sears store where they were purchased no longer exists.

But Sears sold that brand years ago. What few Sears/KMart stores remain, I'm not sure they even sell Craftsman tools any more.

I don't think Craftsman makes much of their own stuff anymore anyway. Back in 2011 I bought a brand new Craftsman lawnmower. But to find parts for it, I have to look up Husqvarna. You put that thing side by side with a Husq, and quickly realize all that Sears mower is is a Husq painted red.

I don't think Craftsman makes much of their own stuff anymore anyway. Back in 2011 I bought a brand new Craftsman lawnmower. But to find parts for it, I have to look up Husqvarna. You put that thing side by side with a Husq, and quickly realize all that Sears mower is is a Husq painted red.
Sears has done that forever--Kenmore appliances were just rebranded Whirlpool. My Craftsman yard tractor is a Husq, but hand tools have been handled differently.

Forum List

Back