Creationists aren’t happy that Pope Francis ripped their worldview

The pope’s strong expression of support for the scientific origins of the universe and the theory of evolution predictably upset creationists.

“Following in the tradition of other recent popes, Pope Francis has compromised biblical authority in favor of man’s ideas in the area of origins,” complained Ken Ham, president of the Answers in Genesis ministry.

Creationists aren 8217 t happy that Pope Francis ripped their worldview

This has been Catholic Doctrine for over 50 years.
My impression is that Catholics were largely in denial about this.

I have never met a Catholic who denied either evolution or the BBT. Wherever did you get this impression?
I've met Catholics who actually did deny evolution and were staunch YEC'ers.

Wherever did you get your impressions?

By talking with Catholics. I have certainly met quite a few Protestants who held that view, but never met a Catholic who did. That is not to say there aren't any. But to say "largely in denial" is a huge stretch which I find extremely unlikely.

The pope’s strong expression of support for the scientific origins of the universe and the theory of evolution predictably upset creationists.

“Following in the tradition of other recent popes, Pope Francis has compromised biblical authority in favor of man’s ideas in the area of origins,” complained Ken Ham, president of the Answers in Genesis ministry.

I have never met a Catholic who denied either evolution or the BBT. Wherever did you get this impression?

I always chuckle at this kind of comment - as though he really asks people if they're catholic and what they believe.

Be that as it may, this pope is very intelligent, seems educated and progressive. That's the opposite of those who believe in creationism.

I always chuckle at this kind of comment - as though he really asks people if they're catholic and what they believe.

Be that as it may, this pope is very intelligent, seems educated and progressive. That's the opposite of those who believe in creationism.

Many missionaries who are helping with the Ebola outbreak may also be creationists, they seem progressive to me.

By talking with Catholics. I have certainly met quite a few Protestants who held that view, but never met a Catholic who did. That is not to say there aren't any. But to say "largely in denial" is a huge stretch which I find extremely unlikely.
I have no way of knowing how many, if any, Catholics you have spoken to.

that's interesting. my son was friends with a girl who is catholic and insisted that the world is 5,000 years old and that there is no such thing as evolution. she didn't learn that in synagogue. you know?

Many missionaries who are helping with the Ebola outbreak may also be creationists, they seem progressive to me.

no. because someone is a missionary does not equate to "progressivism". it's probably the opposite. your post is odd.

that's interesting. my son was friends with a girl who is catholic and insisted that the world is 5,000 years old and that there is no such thing as evolution. she didn't learn that in synagogue. you know?

We have lots of secondhand "evidence" of Catholic belief in creationism, but no actual Catholic saying that is the case.

The Girl could just be an idiot.

So you agree with what he is saying?

From the article:

“He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment,” Pope Francis said.

The earth’s origins were not chaotic, the pontiff said, but were created from a principle of love, reported Religion News Service.

“He gave autonomy to the beings of the universe at the same time at which he assured them of his continuous presence, giving being to every reality, and so creation continued for centuries and centuries, millennia and millennia, until it became which we know today, precisely because God is not a demiurge or a magician, but the creator who gives being to all things,” the pope said.

Pope Francis said the theory of evolution did not contradict the Bible or church teachings, as creationists claim.

“God is not a demiurge or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,” the pope said. “Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”

OK, so you agree that God is the creator and that everything evolved from that creation? I think most would agree we see evolution everyday. We see birds that evolve different traits depending on the environment. BUT they are still birds.

The big bang, first proposed by a Catholic Priest, perfectly in line with Genesis.

no. because someone is a missionary does not equate to "progressivism". it's probably the opposite. your post is odd.

Missionary work was the original progressivism, going out to help others, the whole actions not words thing. Its only today that progressivism has also starting meaning statism and overreaching government force.

Not at all. Like Marty, I was taught evolution in Catholic school--and that Pope Pius XII in 1950 (just like Pope Francis reiterated this week) that evolution is not in opposition with how God might create.

Are all Christians Catholic?

I'm not Catholic. Whatever the Pope says has nothing to do with me.

Actually, I have. My son converted to Catholicism a few years back and that generated quite a few conversations. I have also been on this and other like boards for years, and have had innumerable conversations there. That, of course, is anecdotal evidence and I am not claiming it as proof of anything. I just find the claim made by Hollie questionable.

I have no way of knowing how many, if any, Catholics you have spoken to.

I have no way of knowing how many you have either. That does not change the fact that I find your claim extremely unlikely.

I haven't met your son's friend. However, I would like to point out every Catholic on this thread is saying your son's friend is wrong.

Opposing the far right wing in America is the duty of all responsible patriotic Americans from responsible left to responsible right.

Unofficially through years of Catholic school I already had the idea the Church figured God created the universe and set things in motion.

Do I understand right that the Pope is also holding out another idea that 40,000 years ago or so God may have created man? Or blessed a chimp and made man?

Imagine Moses trying to explain the big bang to a bunch of uneducated Isrealites fleeing Egypt. The simple 7 day story is soo mjch easier and basically in order.

moses couldn't have explained the big bang to a bunch of uneducated Israelites fleeing from Egypt. that is why kabbalists believe that the bible is basically the kiddie book version of reality., explaining things to that group of desert people in a way they could understand. it is also why I was always taught that the bible is mostly allegory.

Kabbalists understand that the Bible stories each have deeper meaning and until recently, they kept it to themselves. You should come meet up at the NY Kabbalah Center

Forum List

Back