Critical Shortages in the "Helping Professions": What's Going On?

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
Nationwide, there are critical shortages in nursing, teaching and law enforcement. Shortages vary by area.

A common problem: the American public is increasingly rude and demanding. In short, the advent of the internet and social media has made us ungrateful and crass. The young people in NYC throwing water on cops is a recent example.

When you're in a helping profession, you expect to take some amount of flak and never strike it rich. But who wants to sign up for low pay and abuse?

Not many people, it would seem. Will the American people recover enough manners to restore these professions, or will taxpayers have to front more money?

Or do you see another remedy for the shortages?

On the Nursing Shortage: Nursing Shortage'
Teacher Shortage: Teacher Shortage is 'Real and Growing, and Worse than We Thought'
Police Officer Shortage: Police officer shortage impacts departments

On American Civility: In Theory: Is America becoming less civil?

A life of service to others pays more than just money.

Well of course. That's not the issue. The issue is we're not getting people to go into the profession or, worse yet, they do and burnout or bail.

Only the truly clueless will sign up for law enforcement these days, at least in the black run major cities, and no one wants to be subjected to the abuse they will get from racist students and administrators in public schools, either; too many fake criminal charges and kangaroo courts for those who happen to be white.

As for nurses, they're grossly over-worked, to avoid having to hire adequate help, for one. The pressures and overtime required is criminal and ridiculous. The training is too long and and difficult only to end up abused and driven to exhaustion, and like the above professions the truly intelligent and qualified can find much better opportunities and just don't need the risk and abuse. We should be worried about those who will apply and work under such conditions, since they're obviously mentally ill to even consider them as careers, especially males, and most especially white males..

Only the truly clueless will sign up for law enforcement these days, at least in the black run major cities, and no one wants to be subjected to the abuse they will get from racist students and administrators in public schools, either; too many fake criminal charges and kangaroo courts for those who happen to be white.

As for nurses, they're grossly over-worked, to avoid having to hire adequate help, for one. The pressures and overtime required is criminal and ridiculous. The training is too long and and difficult only to end up abused and driven to exhaustion, and like the above professions the truly intelligent and qualified can find much better opportunities and just don't need the risk and abuse. We should be worried about those who will apply and work under such conditions, since they're obviously mentally ill to even consider them as careers, especially males, and most especially white males..

So I'm reading, basically: These professions are unattractive, they're going to remain unattractive and there's nothing we can do about it.

Does that about sum it up?

They have always had a nursing shortage of RN's, and I imagine its worst than ever with the baby boomers and the older nurses. Short staffing is always a problem. They will need to hire more LPN's and Aides.

and in schools its the poorer areas:
According to Advance Illinois, in 2017, 90 percent of teacher vacancies in the state – 1,006 positions in all – were in underfunded school districts. Seventy-four percent were in majority-minority school districts, and 81 percent were in low-income districts.

and Devos is the one to make the problem worst than ever, she did it in MI.

Cops, the suicide rate of cops is over the top.

Spoken like a morally bankrupt, selfish, hypocritical democrat

Nationwide, there are critical shortages in nursing, teaching and law enforcement. Shortages vary by area.

A common problem: the American public is increasingly rude and demanding. In short, the advent of the internet and social media has made us ungrateful and crass. The young people in NYC throwing water on cops is a recent example.

When you're in a helping profession, you expect to take some amount of flak and never strike it rich. But who wants to sign up for low pay and abuse?

Not many people, it would seem. Will the American people recover enough manners to restore these professions, or will taxpayers have to front more money?

Teacher Shortage: Teacher Shortage is 'Real and Growing, and Worse than We Thought'

Sure, cut student debt with teaching jobs, use drones for some police work, free healthcare for nurses and their families.

They have always had a nursing shortage of RN's, and I imagine its worst than ever with the baby boomers and the older nurses. Short staffing is always a problem. They will need to hire more LPN's and Aides.

and in schools its the poorer areas:
According to Advance Illinois, in 2017, 90 percent of teacher vacancies in the state – 1,006 positions in all – were in underfunded school districts. Seventy-four percent were in majority-minority school districts, and 81 percent were in low-income districts.

and Devos is the one to make the problem worst than ever, she did it in MI.

Cops, the suicide rate of cops is over the top.

Teacher shortage is worse in minority and low-income districts but scattered everywhere and in some areas is wide-spread.

Sure, cut student debt with teaching jobs, use drones for some police work, free healthcare for nurses and their families.

I'm on board for all of that except please explain "drones for some police work"

A life of service to others pays more than just money.

Well of course. That's not the issue. The issue is we're not getting people to go into the profession or, worse yet, they do and burnout or bail.

What do you think the democrats have been trying so hard to do for the past 70 years?

To be honest I think both parties are culpable for different reasons. But sadly I don't think the fixes will come through in time to fix the problems.

I'm on board for all of that except please explain "drones for some police work"
When people see a cop they slow down when driving or behave on the street. When they see a drone the same will happen-they will be on film. We need video gamers to run the drones.

When people see a cop they slow down when driving or behave on the street. When they see a drone the same will happen-they will be on film. We need video gamers to run the drones.

Yes, my first thought was the cameras at intersections--so maybe for traffic infractions and the like. But I really think AI and the like won't be effective anytime soon for human interactions because it's too complex and fast-moving to program at THIS point.

A teacher, for example, is said to make 1500 educational decisions a day. And those are not computational but complex and often based on intuition.

Bricks and Mortar Public Schools are probably functionally extinct. Education is migrating very quickly toward the digital. I am not sure that will be a net bad thing.

I would not call policing a helping profession.

As for nursing, healthcare is a growing profession and places in our area at least that treat nurses with respect and pay well don't seem to have any problems. The places that treat them slaves and or pay crumbs, not so much.

Sue, if you don't like being a teacher, you should just quit. I'm sure someone with your skills can find a job in the fast food industry.

Bricks and Mortar Public Schools are probably functionally extinct. Education is migrating very quickly toward the digital. I am not sure that will be a net bad thing.

As for nursing, healthcare is a growing profession and places in our area at least that treat nurses with respect and pay well don't seem to have any problems. The places that treat them slaves and or pay crumbs, not so much.

To your first point, "migrating very quickly toward the digital"....how do you figure this is true? You realize this will only work for older children who can self-monitor right? You realize young kids, say up to age 11 or 12 at least, have to be monitored...right? So what, all these legions of parents in your mind are somehow able or willing to stay home and oversee their "digital education"?

I don't believe you. You're making it up.

Whether or not you call police a helping profession, there is a shortage and we do need them.

Sue, if you don't like being a teacher, you should just quit. I'm sure someone with your skills can find a job in the fast food industry.

Top 3% in my district Joe. One of the biggest districts in the state and the best.

To your first point, "migrating very quickly toward the digital"....how do you figure this is true? You realize this will only work for older children who can self-monitor right? You realize young kids, say up to age 11 or 12 at least, have to be monitored...right? So what, all these legions of parents in your mind are somehow able or willing to stay home and oversee their "digital education"?

I don't believe you. You're making it up.

Whether or not you call police a helping profession, there is a shortage and we do need them.

It is the governments job to provide access to education, not free babysitting. That your objection is who is going to "monitor" them, I guess they will have to hire baby sitters.

I don't care what you believe.

I don't care if there is a shortage of police. They have tainted their own wells as far as the attractiveness of the profession. However I will note that our local police department has said on more than one occasion they have zero problem finding people wanting to become police. The problem is that your helping professional baby sitters have left them unable to pass the written admissions test. I guess that is what happens when "monitoring" has become more important than "educating".

Forum List

Back