🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Crowd stunned after valedictorian rips up speech, recites Lord’s prayer

You would applaude, ravtard, since he didn't make a point at all, except that he views the school board as some sort of policing group, which is ludicrous at best.

I would like to see a link that shows that it is the duty of the school board to police school ceremonies, and halt any un-approved speech or behavior.

There isn't such a link. As I said before, it is my opinion that he was free to do as he did. That doesn't change the fact that he proved himself untrustworthy.

That part was directed towards your comrade, who maintains it's the job of the school board to police these events and halt all questionable activities.:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

And...if next year's valedictorian is an Atheist? Or a Muslim? Or a pagan?

Atheism isn't a religion, the nutwads continue to tell us.

They maintain it isn't a religion..but they expect everybody to treat them as if it is....so confusing.

I wouldn't care if a muslim or pagan were to say a prayer at graduation. Big whoop.

As long as he doesn't yell ALLAH AKBAR at the end of it!! :)

Why not?

Nothing valedictorian indicated an untrustworthy character.

He PRAYED a Christian prayer.....he should be locked up.

If he's not black, I imagine Rav thinks locking up would be too good for him, and he should just be killed outright.

Damned white Christian valedictorian scum.

You would applaude, ravtard, since he didn't make a point at all, except that he views the school board as some sort of policing group, which is ludicrous at best.

I would like to see a link that shows that it is the duty of the school board to police school ceremonies, and halt any un-approved speech or behavior.

There isn't such a link. As I said before, it is my opinion that he was free to do as he did. That doesn't change the fact that he proved himself untrustworthy.

That part was directed towards your comrade, who maintains it's the job of the school board to police these events and halt all questionable activities.:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Maybe if you used the quote function instead of spazzing out all over the board you'd make more sense. :eusa_hand:

as long as you are wiling to admit that your pushing back against anti homosexuality is not sincere at all. I mean why do you push back? because someone is trying to crush your rights? your plight is no different then his

There is no government "right" to impose any specific religion. His personal rights were not being infringed. You are conflating two entirely different things here.

How is a public prayer "imposing" religion upon anyone?

Pssst...it's not.
You are absolutely right. So....in the future, if that "public prayer" is of another religion, it is perfectly ok for all. Good to know. :)

as long as you are wiling to admit that your pushing back against anti homosexuality is not sincere at all. I mean why do you push back? because someone is trying to crush your rights? your plight is no different then his

Wait......what? :lmao:

its the same thing babe. a right is a right. defending that right, what ever it is is all based on the same principle

You stated that my "pushing back against anti-homosexuality is not sincere......again......"Wait....what?" :lol:

Atheism isn't a religion, the nutwads continue to tell us.

They maintain it isn't a religion..but they expect everybody to treat them as if it is....so confusing.

I wouldn't care if a muslim or pagan were to say a prayer at graduation. Big whoop.

As long as he doesn't yell ALLAH AKBAR at the end of it!! :)

Why not?

Oh, I don't know....

"They also said they heard at least one of the attackers scream ‘Allahu Akbar,” meaning God is great, during the course of the attack, BBC reported."

Read more: London attackers shout ?Allahu Akbar,? machete man to death - Washington Times

"One person was stabbed when around 20 Islamists chanting “Allah hu Akhbar” (God is Greatest) and some carrying knives attacked the demonstrators on Saturday."

Islamists Chanting 'Allahu Akbar' Attack Kissing Couples at Protest in Turkey

But, since you missed it, carol was doing a little tongue in cheek thing there.

Spoonman, you wrote that "you have to believe and support all rights, not pick and choose what suits your personal agenda and then try to suppress another you don't agree with."

Yes, you are right, and the extremes of far Left and far Right do exactly that. Look at JoeB and koshergrl when it comes to doing just that.

lots of people argue opposing points of view. and there is a big difference between disagreeing and discussing. any of that doesn't prevent someone from exercising their right. the difference is when you take action to actually try to stop someone from exercising their rights by passing legislation, or lobbying a school to eliminate a prayer from its graduation ceremony, or banning gun ownership. disagreeing and discussing is a totally different activity then taking action to suppress. a right an value that this guy held near and dear was suppressed. he used his given right to counter that action.

There is no government "right" to impose any specific religion. His personal rights were not being infringed. You are conflating two entirely different things here.

Pssst...it's not.
You are absolutely right. So....in the future, if that "public prayer" is of another religion, it is perfectly ok for all. Good to know. :)

Since I have never in my entire life maintained that anyone should be prevented from praying in public, your point is perfect logical fallacy.

hoosier88, I suspect your "speech" above is more unethical than that of the valedictorian.

Step off, for heaven's sake.

(My bold)

Hardly possible, he lied about delivering his speech. & he made a nice display of ripping up his speech, & then testified & delivered a version of the Lord's Prayer. Good drama, I can see the actor who used to play John Boy on The Waltons playing the part, if his hair hasn't turned.

Bad for the school corporation in the real World - they're stuck with being ineffective in their role as controlling school events - arguably THE school event - on their property, in their presence, & possibly blundering into litigation they're bound to lose.

Consider the possibilities - if this case is ignored, @ the end of next SY, you can expect a storm of precisely the same little docudrama, with exactly the same excuses: Well, he's beyond our reach, nothing we could do, yadda-yadda-yadda. A hardass state Dept. of Education would take over the school district directly & clear the deadwood. Any school board that fails to deliver a free & appropriate public education is subject to cashiering @ the state's declaration of failure.

This being SC, I doubt that ultimate outcome will come about. But it will be great fun to watch the plot thicken for the next decade or so. If public education is a dying institution in the South - homeschooling, integration, girls playing sports, women in responsible roles as teachers, evolution, sex ed, multiculturalism - a wave of religious insurrection will probably put finis to the charade. Then where will the South be?

Pssst...it's not.

yea it is ok. religious freedom applies to all religions. none should be suppressed.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:The greatest thing about this is that the school cannot punish him! He's graduated!!!

The crowd was stunned.

Crowd stunned after valedictorian rips up speech, recites Lord's prayer - Washington Times

A South Carolina valedictorian garnered wild applause after he ripped up his pre-approved speech and delivered the Lord’s prayer at his high school graduation on Saturday.

The act was apparently in protest of the Pickens County School District’s decision to no longer include prayer at graduation ceremonies, Christian News reported. Officials said the decision was made after the district was barraged with complaints by atheist groups.

“He’s a graduate now. There’s nothing we can do about it, even if we wanted to.”

This is what it will take. It's impressive that this was done by a high school student. It will take ordinary people standing up to the religious bullying of atheists and not taking it anymore.

That is exactly right. While religion means nothing to me censorship offends me on a visceral level.

Not to mention my contempt for the filthy god damned scum who made religion an issue by trying to ban it from events on public property in the 1960s.

Here's the relevant language from Duties of School Trustees - South Carolina Legislature Mobile

See #s 3 & 5 below:

"SECTION 59-19-90. General powers and duties of school trustees.

"The board of trustees shall also:

"(1) Provide schoolhouses. Provide suitable schoolhouses in its district and make them comfortable, paying due regard to any schoolhouse already built or site procured, as well as to all other circumstances proper to be considered so as best to promote the educational interest of the districts;

"(2) Employ and discharge teachers. Employ teachers from those having certificates from the State Board of Education, fix their salaries and discharge them when good and sufficient reasons for so doing present themselves, subject to the supervision of the county board of education. In reaching a decision as to whether or not to employ any person qualified as a teacher, consideration may be given to the residence of such person but it shall not be the deciding factor or a bar to employing such person.

"(3) Promulgate rules and regulations. Promulgate rules prescribing scholastic standards of achievement and standards of conduct and behavior that must be met by all pupils as a condition to the right of such pupils to attend the public schools of such district. The rules shall take into account the necessity of proper conduct on the part of all pupils and the necessity for scholastic progress in order that the welfare of the greatest possible number of pupils shall be promoted notwithstanding that such rules may result in the ineligibility of pupils who fail to observe the required standards, and require the suspension or permanent dismissal of such pupils;

"(4) Call meetings of electors for consultation. Call meetings of the qualified electors of the district for consultation in regard to the school interests thereof, at which meetings the chairman or other member of the board shall preside, if present;

"(5) Control school property. Take care of, manage and control the school property of the district;"

Pssst...it's not.

The 1st Amendment specifically prohibits government employees from endorsing any religion. This means that a principal/teacher/coach leading a prayer in a public school facility would be endorsing religion.

so what government employee endorsed prayer here?
That is the whole point. The kid was NOT a government employee.
and what specifically in the 1st amendment prohibits a government official from leading a prayer? all it say is government shall make no laws against. you libs sure do love to twist words don't you

The term used by the 1st Amendment is a prohibition on the ENDORSEMENT of any religion. In this context it means "approve". For a government official to lead a prayer means that they are approving of it. That approval is prohibited by the 1st Amendment. Furthermore please refrain from accusing others of your own distortions. Thank you and have a nice day.

Pssst...it's not.

Since I have never in my entire life maintained that anyone should be prevented from praying in public, your point is perfect logical fallacy.

Ironic given that most of what you post is either fallacious or illogical and sometimes both.

The 1st Amendment specifically prohibits government employees from endorsing any religion. This means that a principal/teacher/coach leading a prayer in a public school facility would be endorsing religion.

so what government employee endorsed prayer here?
That is the whole point. The kid was NOT a government employee.
and what specifically in the 1st amendment prohibits a government official from leading a prayer? all it say is government shall make no laws against. you libs sure do love to twist words don't you

The term used by the 1st Amendment is a prohibition on the ENDORSEMENT of any religion. In this context it means "approve". For a government official to lead a prayer means that they are approving of it. That approval is prohibited by the 1st Amendment. Furthermore please refrain from accusing others of your own distortions. Thank you and have a nice day.

I still can't see anyway, any wording in first amendment can be construed as saying a government employee can not endorse a religion. all I see is that government shall make no laws against or prohibit the free exercise of. what I find even more off the wall is that a government that is writing a document to protect these rights would expect an agent of that government to give up their right to exercise their rights just because they are a government employee. the whole argument flies in the face of logic.

its the same thing babe. a right is a right. defending that right, what ever it is is all based on the same principle

You stated that my "pushing back against anti-homosexuality is not sincere......again......"Wait....what?" :lol:

his actions are no less sincere. and that is your problem, you can't see that. that's the joke.

Wasn't it YOU who said it was "push-back"? So....explain to us how a prayer can be sincere and "push-back" at the same time?

Forum List

Back