Cuomo Says He’ll Sue if SCOTUS Overturns Roe

I’m still in disbelief that we are at risk of abortion legalization being overturned in 2018.

If only men could get pregnant. Abortion would have never been outlawed.

Cuomo is being over the top though. You can’t sue the Supreme Court.

If men could get pregnant, there would be an abortion clinic on every corner, and we all know it.
I’m still in disbelief that we are at risk of abortion legalization being overturned in 2018.

In the event a case works it way through the court system, unlikely, and lands in the laps of the Supreme Court, it is conceivable that the issue of abortion rights could well be shifted to individual states to uphold or reject, otherwise the ruling adjudicated by the court stands. The thought that the Supreme Court would overturn a prior ruling is preposterous at best.
Sorry to admit there are enough uneducated individuals that would drink the kool-aid without thinking.

Also breaking news, Andrew Cuomo is somehow a lawyer who doesn’t know how the law works

Cuomo Threatens Legal Action If Roe v. Wade Is Overturned

He does know how the law works and he is trying to set things up so New York can carry out the necessary legal process to try and overturn restrictive rulings by the Supreme Court. Just read the link to understand what he is planning.

What court overturns the Supreme Court?

No court overturns the Supreme Court.

Also breaking news, Andrew Cuomo is somehow a lawyer who doesn’t know how the law works

He does know how the law works and he is trying to set things up so New York can carry out the necessary legal process to try and overturn restrictive rulings by the Supreme Court. Just read the link to understand what he is planning.
So who is he suing? Is he suing the legislators? Regulators? Who does he sue to codify the 1979 thing he wants codified?

The way I see it, he wants NY State to pass a law that makes abortion legal, with some limits perhaps. If the Supreme Court makes a ruling that overturns Roe or adds significant new limitations, Cuomo can bring a suit to a lower court that seeks to uphold the NY State law. Depending on lower court rulings, the NY suit may get back to the Supreme Court.

As I say, that is my understanding of how I think things would work. The original link to start this thread does not say NY will sue the Supreme Court. It would start a process in a lower court. Perhaps there is a constitutional expert/ lawyer here that can explain things better.

Seems to be a familial problem.....his brother, CNN Cuomo, also a 'lawyer,' said 'hate speech is not protected by the first amendment.'

"Cuomo, who has a law degree, said, "It doesn't. Hate speech is excluded from protection. Don’t just say you love the Constitution … read it."
CNN's Chris Cuomo: First Amendment doesn't cover hate speech

Why do you hate children?

Why do you think all women hate their children?

I don't hate children. I love children. I love children so much I spent 4 years of college and student loan debt to teach children.

But what I want is every woman to have choice whether to carry a child or not. Despite birth control precautions women do get pregnant. A woman has a right to bare children.

Then there are medical and cases of rape why women need abortions.

I don't hate children. I love children. I love children so much I spent 4 years of college and student loan debt to teach children.

But what I want is every woman to have choice whether to carry a child or not. Despite birth control precautions women do get pregnant. A woman has a right to bare children.

Then there are medical and cases of rape why women need abortions.

"A woman has a right to bare children."

But no 'right' to sentence said child to death.
Is there any argument for the "right" of a woman to authorize the killing of her unborn baby that would not equally apply to her authorizing the similar slaughter of a year old that she was breastfeeding?

If there is....what is it?

If there is not....then, both acts are murder.

"Then there are medical and cases of rape why women need abortions."
Almost none.

In just 12% of the cases were there "concerns"for the mother’s health; 1% for rape; and .5% incest. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/psrh/full/3711005.pdf

The vast majority of abortions were for convenience.

The distinguished Governor of NY needs to reread and understand the Constitution then return to Law School. Apparently he failed constitutional law and skipped over the workings of the appellate system. I find it hard to imagine that any attorney would make such a outrageous statement.
Apparently when all is lost throw out the race card and stir the abortion cauldron and when or if this fails have a major temper tantrum.

"It was not immediately clear what the legal basis for a lawsuit would be."

Yeah, that and which court he'll be taking it to that has final say over the Supreme Court. Judge Judy?

"It was not immediately clear what the legal basis for a lawsuit would be."

Yeah, that and which court he'll be taking it to that has final say over the Supreme Court. Judge Judy?

No kidding and he is a lawyer?

We still can't figure out who he is going to sue..

Forum List

Back