Darrelle Revis returns to Jets

They could have found a way to match it, but it would have been a disaster for them in terms of negotiations with key players next year. I'm sorry, I'll happily lose Revis if it makes it more likely for them to keep young, incredible talent like Hightower, Jones, and Collins.

There's a reason that the Patriots average 12 wins a season and have been to the Super Bowl 6 times in the last 13 years. It's because no one player is more important than the team as a whole. What Revis got from the Jets would have had huge repercussions with the Patriots roster for years. It's way more complex than "wahh, they didn't want to pay an extra $5 million".

Deciding a player's value to the team, and then sticking to that number without regard to sentiment or whining from fans, is one of the core things that has made the Patriots a powerhouse team for more than a decade.

They decided that 5 mil less was not enough for Revis? I do not think so, they could not match his demand. As far as talent they had things pretty much all set in the secondary which proved to be a winning formula that got them a super bowl win. It is what is going on now not what they wish will go on in the future. They blew it plain and simple, now Brady will have to face him twice per year instead of playing with him all year long.

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to argue with you because you're not being reasonable at all. You think that the Patriots HONESTLY couldn't have come up with $5 million if they wanted to? Are you high? You clearly don't even understand the mechanics of what happened here and just want it to be "durrrr, the Patriots are such dummies lol".

Your opinion flies in the face of literally 13 straight years of mind blowing accomplishments in the salary cap era. To wit, it's stupid and sorry but no, you don't know more than Belichick and the Pats front office.

Also, stop representing it like it's just $5 million, it's not. That's possibly just the difference between the guaranteed money in the offers. 5 years/$70 million with $39 million guaranteed is a HUGE contract, this isn't just $5 million.

uh huh. If they did not think he was worth the money they would not have offered it, that is too much money to offer when they were not serious about him to begin with. They could not close the deal, it happens.

What are you even talking about. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
The Patriots put a package together and the Jets put a package together both wanted Revis, the Patriots could not close the deal with Revis the Jets could. That is exactly how it worked. It appears Revis wanted his island back and got it.

Ultimately, whatever the Patriots were offering both in material terms and as a team was not enough.

Interesting, so you know for sure that Revis would be a Jet if the Patriots matched their offer? Because all the reports I've seen said that if the offers were close enough, indications were that Revis would remain a Patriot. The Jets were willing to sell the farm for Revis. That's fine, no anger from me there. The Patriots do not adhere to that type of strategy in negotiating with players and between the two teams and their success over the past decade and a half, I'll take the Patriots strategy.

I know you reallllly want this to be a situation where the Patriots were stupid, but your continued insistence on ignoring reality only makes one person look dumb (hint: it's you).

You legit sound like you know nothing about football. It's embarrassing for you.

When you have a salary cap there is only a finite amount of money that you can spend on your team. What the Patriots have done is position themselves so that they CAN pay young upcoming stars like McCourty and Collins...but at the same time they've forced the Jets to pay top dollar for an aging player which means the Jets are going to face serious cap issues down the road. If your money is locked into the contracts of aging stars you have to let your young stars walk. Next thing you know you've got a team comprised of old has-beens and young scrubs.

You seem to think that the Jets have "won" a battle against the Patriots, Alex and it's a naive belief on your part. The battle that teams fight is against the salary cap. You CAN give a few huge contracts to star players and go with scrubs at other positions but you won't succeed unless you are remarkable at drafting and developing young talent. Is it your belief that the Jets are remarkable at that? Because if they AREN'T then they just screwed themselves later on down the line.
The Patriots were very deep into offering Revis what they could, a very substantial amount, but they were short by 4 million. Revis accepted the offer from another team.

They decided that 5 mil less was not enough for Revis? I do not think so, they could not match his demand. As far as talent they had things pretty much all set in the secondary which proved to be a winning formula that got them a super bowl win. It is what is going on now not what they wish will go on in the future. They blew it plain and simple, now Brady will have to face him twice per year instead of playing with him all year long.

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to argue with you because you're not being reasonable at all. You think that the Patriots HONESTLY couldn't have come up with $5 million if they wanted to? Are you high? You clearly don't even understand the mechanics of what happened here and just want it to be "durrrr, the Patriots are such dummies lol".

Your opinion flies in the face of literally 13 straight years of mind blowing accomplishments in the salary cap era. To wit, it's stupid and sorry but no, you don't know more than Belichick and the Pats front office.

Also, stop representing it like it's just $5 million, it's not. That's possibly just the difference between the guaranteed money in the offers. 5 years/$70 million with $39 million guaranteed is a HUGE contract, this isn't just $5 million.

uh huh. If they did not think he was worth the money they would not have offered it, that is too much money to offer when they were not serious about him to begin with. They could not close the deal, it happens.

What are you even talking about. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
The Patriots put a package together and the Jets put a package together both wanted Revis, the Patriots could not close the deal with Revis the Jets could. That is exactly how it worked. It appears Revis wanted his island back and got it.

Ultimately, whatever the Patriots were offering both in material terms and as a team was not enough.

Interesting, so you know for sure that Revis would be a Jet if the Patriots matched their offer? Because all the reports I've seen said that if the offers were close enough, indications were that Revis would remain a Patriot. The Jets were willing to sell the farm for Revis. That's fine, no anger from me there. The Patriots do not adhere to that type of strategy in negotiating with players and between the two teams and their success over the past decade and a half, I'll take the Patriots strategy.

I know you reallllly want this to be a situation where the Patriots were stupid, but your continued insistence on ignoring reality only makes one person look dumb (hint: it's you).

You legit sound like you know nothing about football. It's embarrassing for you.

I never said the first line, you are now creating an argument I have not made.

When you have a salary cap there is only a finite amount of money that you can spend on your team. What the Patriots have done is position themselves so that they CAN pay young upcoming stars like McCourty and Collins...but at the same time they've forced the Jets to pay top dollar for an aging player which means the Jets are going to face serious cap issues down the road. If your money is locked into the contracts of aging stars you have to let your young stars walk. Next thing you know you've got a team comprised of old has-beens and young scrubs.
No one forced the Jets to do anything.

You seem to think that the Jets have "won" a battle against the Patriots, Alex and it's a naive belief on your part. The battle that teams fight is against the salary cap. You CAN give a few huge contracts to star players and go with scrubs at other positions but you won't succeed unless you are remarkable at drafting and developing young talent. Is it your belief that the Jets are remarkable at that? Because if they AREN'T then they just screwed themselves later on down the line.
The Patriots were very deep into offering Revis what they could, a very substantial amount, but they were short by 4 million. Revis accepted the offer from another team.

So now it's $4 million? Man, this gap keeps shrinking. Thank goodness we have Alex's insider information on the negotiations.

You have exactly zero idea how much the Pats offered, and even if the rumor is true that there was a $5 million gap in guaranteed, you know that's not the entire contract, right? (I'm not sure why I even ask, you've shown repeatedly that you have no comprehension of the difference between his full contract and his guaranteed money.)

I must have misunderstood your last sentence then. What did you mean by "whatever the Patriots were offering in both material terms and as a team were not enough"?

By the way, is this insistent ignorance what it's like to be a Jets fan? Do you guys do this to yourselves because the reality of the team you root for is too damn depressing? Sometimes I wonder if the Browns really are the right team to use the phrase "factory of sadness".

The word that was coming out of New England, Alex...was that Revis had told the Patriots that he was willing to take less money to remain with the Patriots. If that was indeed the case then the only way that the Jets were going to sign him was offer HUGE money...which is what they ended up doing! So in essence, the New England Patriots forced the Jets to overpay for Revis because the caliber of the New England Patriots organization is such that players are willing to take less to suit up in a Patriots uniform. What "forced" the Jets to do what they did was a combination of New England's success and their own ineptitude.

By the way, is this insistent ignorance what it's like to be a Jets fan? Do you guys do this to yourselves because the reality of the team you root for is too damn depressing? Sometimes I wonder if the Browns really are the right team to use the phrase "factory of sadness".

The New York papers don't refer to the Jets as "Gang Green" in the context of gangrene for no reason, Mack...just sayin'...

I don't like the Patriots, they are just below Dallas and Seattle as my least favorite teams. I am not a Jets fan either.

The one thing I have learned over the last several years is that I don't second guess New England, they are the sharpest managed team in the NFL, bare none. I wish my Raiders were as smart, but I digress.

The Pats will not over pay, the Pats know when to let go. My opinion of the Jets, they overpaid, but that is what the Jets do they make some really bad decisions and their record shows it.

I must have misunderstood your last sentence then. What did you mean by "whatever the Patriots were offering in both material terms and as a team were not enough"?

Self explanatory by the choice Revis made

The word that was coming out of New England, Alex...was that Revis had told the Patriots that he was willing to take less money to remain with the Patriots. If that was indeed the case then the only way that the Jets were going to sign him was offer HUGE money...which is what they ended up doing! So in essence, the New England Patriots forced the Jets to overpay for Revis because the caliber of the New England Patriots organization is such that players are willing to take less to suit up in a Patriots uniform. What "forced" the Jets to do what they did was a combination of New England's success and their own ineptitude.
Do you have a link to what 'Revis had told the Patriots'?

I suppose I could go back and find the sports pundits that reported Revis was willing to take less to play for the Patriots, Alex. As I said before...that was what was being widely reported before the Jets came in with the biggest contract ever for a DB.

Do you have a link to what the Patriots DID offer?

My point remains the same...even though the Patriots chose not to sign Revis...I think it's safe to say that Revis and his agent used the threat of his returning to the Patriots as impetus to force the Jets into overpaying to land him.

If the Patriots didn't land Revis then obviously the next best thing for them would be to burden the Jets with a huge contract that would prevent them from signing other players to field a competitive team. Quite frankly I wouldn't put it past the Patriots to float some contract numbers out there that they had ZERO intention of paying simply to freak out the Jets and make them pull the trigger on Revis' huge deal.

I suppose I could go back and find the sports pundits that reported Revis was willing to take less to play for the Patriots, Alex. As I said before...that was what was being widely reported before the Jets came in with the biggest contract ever for a DB.

My point remains the same...even though the Patriots chose not to sign Revis...I think it's safe to say that Revis and his agent used the threat of his returning to the Patriots as impetus to force the Jets into overpaying to land him.

If the Patriots didn't land Revis then obviously the next best thing for them would be to burden the Jets with a huge contract that would prevent them from signing other players to field a competitive team. Quite frankly I wouldn't put it past the Patriots to float some contract numbers out there that they had ZERO intention of paying simply to freak out the Jets and make them pull the trigger on Revis' huge deal.
I posted the link earlier. Funny how you mention the Pats floating numbers if Revis accepted the "floated" numbers the Patriots would be on the hook for that contract and amount. You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting the Patriots would do anything underhanded like "floating numbers". Bottom line, the Patriots wanted Revis and could not meet his demand otherwise he would be in NE.

BTW I am not Jets fan, I am a fan of the team that beat the Patriots twice in the SB. I just like talking the business end if pro football.

I posted the link earlier. Funny how you mention the Pats floating numbers if Revis accepted the "floated" numbers the Patriots would be on the hook for that contract and amount. You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting the Patriots would do anything underhanded like "floating numbers". Bottom line, the Patriots wanted Revis and could not meet his demand otherwise he would be in NE.

BTW I am not Jets fan, I am a fan of the team that beat the Patriots twice in the SB. I just like talking the business end if pro football.

When you "float" a number, Alex...you aren't on the hook for it. It's the same concept as saying you're interested in drafting a player when you're really not because you want to pressure another team into giving away the farm trading up to get that player. If I'm the Patriots and I put out a narrative that I REALLY want to sign Revis even if it costs me a big contract...what I might very well be doing is messing with the Jet's salary cap. Yes, the Jets will get a player they desperately wanted...but because the Patriots drove up the price for Revis the Jets ended up paying more money for him...money that will have to be accounted for in their cap going forward.

When you "float" a number, Alex...you aren't on the hook for it. It's the same concept as saying you're interested in drafting a player when you're really not because you want to pressure another team into giving away the farm trading up to get that player. If I'm the Patriots and I put out a narrative that I REALLY want to sign Revis even if it costs me a big contract...what I might very well be doing is messing with the Jet's salary cap. Yes, the Jets will get a player they desperately wanted...but because the Patriots drove up the price for Revis the Jets ended up paying more money for him...money that will have to be accounted for in their cap going forward.

"Floating a number" in your parlance perhaps, in mine that is making an offer. If you are going to use colloquialisms or idioms please qualify your terms.

"Floating a number" in your parlance perhaps, in mine that is making an offer. If you are going to use colloquialisms or idioms please qualify your terms.

If I'm the Patriots and I decide that Revis is asking for too much money and I'm not going to exercise my option to pick him for another year but instead let him go in free agency...then the best case scenario for me is to have whoever DOES get him as a free agent have to pay through the nose to do so. The fact of the matter is that unless the Jets have someone spying for them inside the Patriots organization, they have no way to know for sure what the Patriots offered Revis. Revis's agent could have told the Jets a totally made up number for what the Patriot's offer was. The Patriots might have even gone along with propagating the myth that Revis's agent was putting out there. Why? Because if the Patriots can't get Revis then it would be to their advantage to have whatever competing team (especially one in their own division!) signed Revis pay as high a price for him as possible.

Forum List

Back