Death of a culture

Native American Languages

Most Native American languages have ceased to exist, or are spoken only by older speakers, with whom the language will die in the coming decades.

This seems to me to be an American tragedy.

6 Last Living Speakers of Dying Languages

Imagine being the last one standing. Is this a big issue in the States ?

The Cajun French language is all but dead. 40 years ago, several of my peers would have to read/translate mail and forms to grandparents who did not speak english, only Cajun French. Now, I can count on one hand the number I know who speak it, and two are in nursing homes.

Maybe the population being decimated had something to do with it ?

No that's not it.

The people decided not to keep their traditions alive.
No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker
Language: Hupa

The Hupa people of northern California, like most Native American tribes, were subjected to a process of forced assimilation and English-only education. Ms. Parker avoided boarding school, being raised by her grandmother to speak Hupa. Nowadays she works with Stanford and Berkeley scholars to document the language, while also revitalizing it through an immersion program for high-schoolers that seems to have met with some degree of enthusiasm.

Forced assimilation would have a lot to do with it.

So those people were prevented from speaking their native language at home?
They were prevented from teaching their children their native language outside of the school system?

No they weren't
You miss the point.If the only way to get on is to speak the dominant language then that is what you do. It doesnt happen overnight, it takes years to get there. There are links on here showing how smaller communities are trying to reclaim their language. Language is the basis of your culture.

Like I said they let their traditions go no one took them away

Much more complicated than that.

The village drowned to give another nation water
This is an example of how a colonial power undermines a culture,and a language.The drowning of the valley caused a huge stink at the time and my Dad went on many protests.

Looking at it from a distance I dont think the reasoning was to destroy Welsh culture. I think that was a by product of their need for water.
It took an act of parliament to authorise this crime. Every Welsh MP voted against it and yet it went through on the votes of the English. They could do it tomorrow if they wanted to.

But you voted to stay in the EU? Didn't think that one through, eh?

Most Native American languages have ceased to exist, or are spoken only by older speakers, with whom the language will die in the coming decades.

The Cajun French language is all but dead. 40 years ago, several of my peers would have to read/translate mail and forms to grandparents who did not speak english, only Cajun French. Now, I can count on one hand the number I know who speak it, and two are in nursing homes.
Does Cajun differ a lot from French ? Ive seen songs which suggest it is.

This is an example of how a colonial power undermines a culture,and a language.The drowning of the valley caused a huge stink at the time and my Dad went on many protests.

Looking at it from a distance I dont think the reasoning was to destroy Welsh culture. I think that was a by product of their need for water.
It took an act of parliament to authorise this crime. Every Welsh MP voted against it and yet it went through on the votes of the English. They could do it tomorrow if they wanted to.

The EU is a lot more respectful of Welsh culture than the English are.

Its quite a long list.
European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were prevented from teaching their children their native language outside of the school system?

No they weren't
You miss the point.If the only way to get on is to speak the dominant language then that is what you do. It doesnt happen overnight, it takes years to get there. There are links on here showing how smaller communities are trying to reclaim their language. Language is the basis of your culture.

Like I said they let their traditions go no one took them away
Saying it is one thing. Backing it up is another.

Their choice not my problem
Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.
you're welcome

Yes. It is a strange mix of French, Spanish, African and Indian (NA). Let's say its roots are French, but evolved differently beginning in the 1800's so pretty removed, much more removed than even French vs Quebecois.

Its quite a long list.
European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They also protect local foods as well.
List of United Kingdom food and drink products with protected status - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Italian products with protected designation of origin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of European cheeses with protected geographical status - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes. It is a strange mix of French, Spanish, African and Indian (NA). Let's say its roots are French, but evolved differently beginning in the 1800's so pretty removed, much more removed than even French vs Quebecois.
Would a Cajun be able to get by in France ?

Would a Cajun be able to get by in France ?

Yes, but it takes patience on the part of the French. Here are some videos that highlight such exchanges:
How different is Cajun French from French? - Quora

It is very interesting, language evolution, no?

Its quite a long list.

Way to miss the point.

Not so strange. Creoles are not uncommon.

Creoles are different than Cajuns ... but I suppose today's Cajuns have melded into a credible at this point. There were 3 dialects: Cajun, Creole and Plantation. Plantation is extinct/dead. Cajun and Creole seem to be both merging and dying.

Creoles are different than Cajuns ... but I suppose today's Cajuns have melded into a credible at this point. There were 3 dialects: Cajun, Creole and Plantation. Plantation is extinct/dead. Cajun and Creole seem to be both merging and dying.

A creole is a language type.

Here, it is a people as well as the language they speak.

Louisiana Creole people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When a people are overwhelmed by a far more advanced and numerous population, their culture and languages invariable become defunct.

There is nothing new in this world, and certainly not that.

Here, it is a people as well as the language they speak.

Everywhere, it is a language type. I said "creole," not "Creole."

It's no one's fault but their own
Maybe the population being decimated had something to do with it ?

No that's not it.

The people decided not to keep their traditions alive.
No, that isnt the case.

From the OP.
5. Verdena Parker
Language: Hupa

The Hupa people of northern California, like most Native American tribes, were subjected to a process of forced assimilation and English-only education. Ms. Parker avoided boarding school, being raised by her grandmother to speak Hupa. Nowadays she works with Stanford and Berkeley scholars to document the language, while also revitalizing it through an immersion program for high-schoolers that seems to have met with some degree of enthusiasm.

Forced assimilation would have a lot to do with it.

No they weren't
In the 1920s Indian children were removed from their homes and sent to boarding schools where they learned, ate and slept. In some areas the forced assimilation started as far back as 1891 and most ran up to 1935, thankfully enough slipped through the cracks to keep the language and culture alive.
If you don't know what you're talkin' about then silence is golden, you should practice it from time to time.........

In the 1920s Indian children were removed from their homes and sent to boarding schools where they learned, ate and slept. In some areas the forced assimilation started as far back as 1891 and most ran up to 1935, thankfully enough slipped through the cracks to keep the language and culture alive.
If you don't know what you're talkin' about then silence is golden, you should practice it from time to time.........
If you have ever been to an Indian reservation you might have a clearer picture. If you had been to an Indian reservation in the 20s and 30s you would have an even better idea.

But dumbing down is part-and-parcel of today's America so it's important to keep things simple I suppose.

If you have ever been to an Indian reservation you might have a clearer picture. If you had been to an Indian reservation in the 20s and 30s you would have an even better idea.

But dumbing down is part-and-parcel of today's America so it's important to keep things simple I suppose.
Uummmmm, let's see what my ancestors on my mom's side have to say about that........

6500473.jpg

Also:

Google

Forum List

Back