Death Penalty

Is there a particular benefit from not having the death penalty? No. It keeps criminals alive. In states that have the death penalty, the inmate has a much greater chance of dying on death row of old age than actually being put to death.

On the other hand, where the death penalty is not available, Richard Speck got big tits and Charlie Manson gets to update his website.

It just makes us look like barbarians to the rest of the world

If the death penalty is such a deterrent, why do we have such a high murder rate compared to other countries without a death penalty?

Because we have an inordinate number of people who enjoy killing others. Isn't a constitutional right to pursue happiness?

Is there a particular benefit from not having the death penalty? No. It keeps criminals alive. In states that have the death penalty, the inmate has a much greater chance of dying on death row of old age than actually being put to death.

On the other hand, where the death penalty is not available, Richard Speck got big tits and Charlie Manson gets to update his website.

If the death penalty is such a deterrent, why do we have such a high murder rate compared to other countries without a death penalty?

Because our social programs put a large group of people in a confined area. We also are far more tolerant of violent entertainment.

Because our social programs put a large group of people in a confined area. We also are far more tolerant of violent entertainment.

Europe has more social programs than we do. They also watch the same movies we do. THeir murder rate is significantly lower than ours

The death penalty doesn't deter anything

No one believes the death penalty is a deterrent. No one who commits a crime ever believes they will be caught, no matter what the penalty is.

The death penalty is taking out the trash.

No one believes the death penalty is a deterrent. No one who commits a crime ever believes they will be caught, no matter what the penalty is.

The death penalty is taking out the trash.

No one worries about the death penalty until they are caught and trying to make a deal with the prosecutor to avoid it. I never heard anyone say wow we shouldn't commit crime because we might get the death penalty.

It's like saying jail isn't a deterrent to shoplifting. So we shouldn't have sentences for shop lifting.

It's like saying jail isn't a deterrent to shoplifting. So we shouldn't have sentences for shop lifting.

I don't really know if jail or prison is a "deterrent" anymore, alot of people like my brother make alot of money locked up and don't care if they get sent back, actually some of them prefer it.

I don't really know if jail or prison is a "deterrent" anymore, alot of people like my brother make alot of money locked up and don't care if they get sent back, actually some of them prefer it.

It's called being institutionalized and yes, a lot of prisoners prefer it. One of my clients gave his stuff to a friend to hold for him until he got back. Some will commit some offense or other to get more time added to their sentences.

It's called being institutionalized and yes, a lot of prisoners prefer it. One of my clients gave his stuff to a friend to hold for him until he got back. Some will commit some offense or other to get more time added to their sentences.

A guy came into my barber shop who did time, he said there are people in there making thousands of dollars a week, carrying cell phones and wearing new Air Jordans. There is alot of money flowing through our prisons and alot of these inmates do better in there than with us on the outside. My brother took pictures of himself flashing wads of hundred dollar bills and posted it to this Facebook account, he had a cell phone and was updating his account regularly, my dad told the warden and he said unless they find the cell phone itself theres not much that can be done.

A guy came into my barber shop who did time, he said there are people in there making thousands of dollars a week, carrying cell phones and wearing new Air Jordans. There is alot of money flowing through our prisons and alot of these inmates do better in there than with us on the outside. My brother took pictures of himself flashing wads of hundred dollar bills and posted it to this Facebook account, he had a cell phone and was updating his account regularly, my dad told the warden and he said unless they find the cell phone itself theres not much that can be done.

Several hundred guards were fired a year or so ago for selling cell phones to prisoners.

Several hundred guards were fired a year or so ago for selling cell phones to prisoners.

It doesn't surprise me, even a cheap throw away phone is worth alot inside. There are not enough guards to keep track of all the inmates anyways.

No it isn't, as experience shows.

So what if they kill another inmate? Isn't that what conservatives would want?

What if they kill a guard?

When you're already facing life without parole, what have you got to lose?

So are you saying we should sentence them to death because they will probably kill someone? If a guard is killed, its a fault within the prison system.

The US is one of the few countries in the world that still has the death penalty and most of our own states do not even use it.

The US is in the company of China, India and Muslim countries that still support eye for an eye punishment

Canada, Mexico, all of Europe, Russia, Japan, S Korea......all have abolished the death penalty

First of all, you're wrong: Japan and South korea, to name only those two still have the death penalty.

Secondly, this is NOT an eye for an eye punishment, but apparently you have no real arguments.

You are correct in that Japan still has a death penalty. Lets look at what other nations are aligned with the US in allowing the death penalty

The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Read more: The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com

You will notice that the majority of countries in that list are riddled with violence.

I'm against the death penalty for one reason and one reason only, it costs more than life in prison. I think we should save the taxpayer money whenever possible.

Funny

with Papa Obama deficit spending a trillion a year
one would think saving money is not a top concern with the left.

Perhaps if some states removed the intentional blocks and delays
they factor into death sentences' appeal process, it would cheaper.

Besides, those cost analysis due not factor in all costs- due they?

Indeed, imagine the cost to society for all the children produced
by life prisoners from their conjugal visits...

or the cost to the surviving family members of the victims

Last edited:
How much is American spending on the war in Iraq? How many billions wasted so far? You want to blame Obama for the fact you have no money, blame Bush first.

Forum List

Back