Denver baker sued for refusing to write anti-gay slogans on cake

The baker has the right to refuse to put anti-gay phrases on a cake,

as long as it applies to everyone. That is different than denying certain groups of people the right to buy a cake in the first place.

The same would apply if the baker refused to put anti-rightwing nut phrases on a cake.

Wow amazing how the far left changes their stance on such things.

Really?

Post any 'stance' by me that conflicts with the above, or stfu.

as long as it applies to everyone. That is different than denying certain groups of people the right to buy a cake in the first place.

The same would apply if the baker refused to put anti-rightwing nut phrases on a cake.

Really?

Every far stance known to exist..

That was easy, next!!

Exactly. You can't make a business sell what they don't sell. Stupid people always try the argument that Public Accommodation laws require that a kosher deli sell non kosher products. (PA laws have been on the books since 1964 and that never happened). This is a false narrative.

If the bakery sold "hate cakes" and refused to sell a hate cake to this person because they were _________ (fill in the blank), then the individual would have a potential lawsuit (if ___________ (fill in the blank) is a protected class under PA laws in that location) Refusing to make a product or perform a service you do not perform is not a violation of PA laws.

Do PA laws also have a provision to re-classify goods so as to mold their effect as a user sees fit? Because I'm pretty sure that nobody actually sells "hate cakes." People do, however, sell personalized cakes with buyer chosen inscriptions.

Really?

That was easy, next!!

Post any stance BY ME that conflicts with the above, or stfu and quit making a fool of yourself.

Really?

That was easy, next!!

Post any stance BY ME that conflicts with the above, or stfu and quit making a fool of yourself.

Being anti-war under Bush, yet supporting the illegal wars of Obama.

Yelling for Due Process and supporting Obama when he does away with it.

Being against the death penalty and supporting abortion..

Being against the death penalty and supporting the illegal wars of Obama..

That is just a few do you need more far left drone?

I think he has to sell them cakes, but I don't know about having to write the messages in frosting the couple wants. This will be a messy fight.

Denver baker sued for refusing to write anti-gay slogans on cake - Yahoo News
The baker will win because he's protected by free speech. You're right that it would be illegal to sell him a cake, not illegal to refuse to write something on the cake. This Jack guy's no more than a pathetic clown looking for his 15 minutes.

Would not be illegal to refuse to sell him a cake. Guy owns the restaurant, has the right to refuse service to anyone.

This is not a free-speech issue. Free-speech means you can say whatever you want without the gov't punishing you for it. It does not mean that you can make anyone say anything you want.
This is a public accommodation issue. Should anyone that owns a business be forced to provide their service to anyone? Reasonable people can see that there are limits.

The far left hates freedom of speech!

This thread proves that!

He was more than free to write that homophobic shit himself.

Proof once again the far left hates freedom of speech!

Even more proof they do not understand the term "Freedom of Speech"..
Evidently you don't either...

Of course I understand it, certainly better than a drone that is going for top posting drone of the month..
You are a drone for the far right reactionaries, always have been, always will be. We are glad you are here, because your presence makes everyone else feel like Einstein. Your bananas are in the corner.

This thread proves that!

Of course I understand it, certainly better than a drone that is going for top posting drone of the month..
You are a drone for the far right reactionaries, always have been, always will be. We are glad you are here, because your presence makes everyone else feel like Einstein. Your bananas are in the corner.

Another one going for top drone of the month!

This thread proves that!

Freedom of speech doesn't mean I have to transmit your hate speech.

You have the right to say what you want, I don't have to give you air time or cake time.
But another baker is forced to conform to a queers needs? Don't think so.

This thread proves that!

Freedom of my speech does not give me the right to impose on someone else my expression..
Only if you disagree, if you agree then the baker has to do it. Hypocrite.

Typical extreme far right diversion deflection response.

Exactly. You can't make a business sell what they don't sell. Stupid people always try the argument that Public Accommodation laws require that a kosher deli sell non kosher products. (PA laws have been on the books since 1964 and that never happened). This is a false narrative.

If the bakery sold "hate cakes" and refused to sell a hate cake to this person because they were _________ (fill in the blank), then the individual would have a potential lawsuit (if ___________ (fill in the blank) is a protected class under PA laws in that location) Refusing to make a product or perform a service you do not perform is not a violation of PA laws.

Do PA laws also have a provision to re-classify goods so as to mold their effect as a user sees fit? Because I'm pretty sure that nobody actually sells "hate cakes." People do, however, sell personalized cakes with buyer chosen inscriptions.

Yes they do, but there is no PA law requirement for them to do so nor is it a violation to not make a specialized item. The discrimination occurs when you sell an item to person A, but refuse to sell the exact same item to person B.

Cakes for same sex couples look like wedding cakes, that is to say they are apolitical. Cakes for homophobes are strictly political. One cake celebrates love, devotion and commitment, the other celebrates vile hatred and fear.

Who should be taken seriously?
No the gay cake represents two mentally ill people.

I think he has to sell them cakes, but I don't know about having to write the messages in frosting the couple wants. This will be a messy fight.

Denver baker sued for refusing to write anti-gay slogans on cake - Yahoo News
The baker will win because he's protected by free speech. You're right that it would be illegal to sell him a cake, not illegal to refuse to write something on the cake. This Jack guy's no more than a pathetic clown looking for his 15 minutes.

Would not be illegal to refuse to sell him a cake. Guy owns the restaurant, has the right to refuse service to anyone.

You don't actually have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, you know that, right?

The Right to Refuse Service

This thread proves that!

Freedom of speech doesn't mean I have to transmit your hate speech.

You have the right to say what you want, I don't have to give you air time or cake time.
But another baker is forced to conform to a queers needs? Don't think so.

If you're in the business of selling wedding cakes to the public you're under the jurisdiction of anti-discrimination laws. Is that too complicated for you?

Typical extreme far right diversion deflection response.

This from a far left drone!

Forum List

Back