Dershowitz: Appoint Spcl Prosecutor to Investigate Zimmerman Prosecutor Corey

I suspect the public is so sick of hearing about it all, there will be no large scale public demand for an investigation though there should be.
Not from the public, from the Florida Bar. These professionals have their ethical canons and legal responsibilities to uphold, once a party files a complaint it is investigated then prosecuted if there is a basis for doing so.

Conversely, the ethical canons are not 'law' per se. They are only 'aspirational.' Many a scoundrel has wriggled around them.

Investigating yourself has never been a really successful undertaking.

The antics, lack of professionalism and poor judgment exhibited by the prosecution are good reasons why many people do not trust attorneys or the legal profession.

The prosecutors should be held accountable for their actions.

My trust of the State is diminished.

I have known this to happen too frequently--A Cause and anyone caught in the net is prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

About all I gleaned last night from the troughs of media--The investigator who interrogated Zimmerman and testified for the prosecution seemed 'pissed'--actually became a character witness for the defendant. Something you don't see often--ever.

I really must avoid CNN their analyst is getting on my nerves. 'As a former prosecutor with a jury in DC I would have returned a guilty verdict...and more.'

She has an annoying way of moving her hands while talking. No body language expert but it seems to be a way of saying 'Unless you agree with me you are too ignorant to live'.

Tired of everyone involved in this.

The antics, lack of professionalism and poor judgment exhibited by the prosecution are good reasons why many people do not trust attorneys or the legal profession.

The prosecutors should be held accountable for their actions.

I suspect the public is so sick of hearing about it all, there will be no large scale public demand for an investigation though there should be.
Not from the public, from the Florida Bar. These professionals have their ethical canons and legal responsibilities to uphold, once a party files a complaint it is investigated then prosecuted if there is a basis for doing so.

I hope you are right.

Conversely, the ethical canons are not 'law' per se. They are only 'aspirational.' Many a scoundrel has wriggled around them.

The judiciary regulates itself and the bar. I believe lawyers are the only self regulated profession. Doctors, nurses, psychologist, teachers are all regulated by the state. I CAN, however, see the logic of this as self regulation as intended to defeat any effort for some other special interest group to overly influence the practice of law. And we remain at the top of the freedom food chain world wide because our lawyers are not government controlled. It was only about 7 or 8 years ago that China cut its 9,000 (Yes nine thousand lawyers for 1 billion people) lawyers loose from government control. Up until that time, if you were accused of a crime in China all your lawyer did was to negotiate your sentence. You just have to realize that if it weren't for lawyers no one would have any rights, and the police would act like storm troopers. (At least more so than they already do.)

Last edited:

This kind of set of responses is why I keep coming to this board.

A bunch of people here provide excellent insight quite often, and some liberals as well.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/302788-lots-of-emotion-all-over-the-place-3.html#post7537984

Your teenage son or daughter is walking home in the rain, it is growing dark, she is on the phone with a friend and eating the candy she just bought from a nearby convenience store. The hood is up on her jacket when a man starts following her in his car. She mentions this to a friend on the phone. Your son keeps walking. Soon your daughter walks behind a building, and the man in the car gets out and follows her. Your son does not know what motivates the follower. Soon they are so close, fear of each other causes a scuffle. Your daughter does not realize the man is armed with a gun. She fights the man to the ground and in the melee he is injured. He pulls a gun and kills your daughter. How do you feel? What gave him the right to follow and pursue your son or daughter. What motivated him to follow.

""I don't think the import of this is being appreciated. Effectively, I can bait you into a fight and if I start losing I can can legally kill you, provided I "believe" myself to be subject to "great bodily harm." It is then the state's job to prove--beyond a reasonable doubt--that I either did not actually fear for my life, or my fear was unreasonable. In the case of George Zimmerman, even if the state proved that he baited an encounter (and I am not sure they did) they still must prove that he had no reasonable justification to fear for his life. You see very similar language in the actual instructions given to the jury: in link above

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/302788-lots-of-emotion-all-over-the-place-3.html#post7537984

Your teenage son or daughter is walking home in the rain, it is growing dark, she is on the phone with a friend and eating the candy she just bought from a nearby convenience store. The hood is up on her jacket when a man starts following her in his car. She mentions this to a friend on the phone. Your son keeps walking. Soon your daughter walks behind a building, and the man in the car gets out and follows her. Your son does not know what motivates the follower. Soon they are so close, fear of each other causes a scuffle. Your daughter does not realize the man is armed with a gun. She fights the man to the ground and in the melee he is injured. He pulls a gun and kills your daughter. How do you feel? What gave him the right to follow and pursue your son or daughter. What motivated him to follow.

""I don't think the import of this is being appreciated. Effectively, I can bait you into a fight and if I start losing I can can legally kill you, provided I "believe" myself to be subject to "great bodily harm." It is then the state's job to prove--beyond a reasonable doubt--that I either did not actually fear for my life, or my fear was unreasonable. In the case of George Zimmerman, even if the state proved that he baited an encounter (and I am not sure they did) they still must prove that he had no reasonable justification to fear for his life. You see very similar language in the actual instructions given to the jury: in link above

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson

That's RAYSSISSS!
/jk

I hope you are right.

I speak from personal knowledge and experience.

I hope you are right.

I do, too.

The CNN analyst is the only person that continues to say how effective the prosecution team was.

I agreed with the one who said this looked like the work of 'baby prosecutors'--who relied upon Law and Order for inspiration.

Whatever. Even I could identify unethical conduct. A chilling tale--'One long, hot, hazy summer afternoon ...' Working on a little parody of my own.

I hope you are right.

I do, too.

The CNN analyst is the only person that continues to say how effective the prosecution team was.

I agreed with the one who said this looked like the work of 'baby prosecutors'--who relied upon Law and Order for inspiration.

Whatever. Even I could identify unethical conduct. A chilling tale--'One long, hot, hazy summer afternoon ...' Working on a little parody of my own.

The Today Show had a panel of five or sixe black people and one white liberal who all agreed that the primary reason that GZ did not get convicted despite the 'overwhelming evidence' was racism. Black people's lives are not seen as being as valuable as white lives,
all whites profile blacks, even civilians, there is a presumption that if a white man kills a black man then the black man must have deserved it, and that what happened in this instance could have happened to any black child walking down the street in America (ie some white guy with a gun deliberately kills a black child for no reason and then claims self defense to get away with it).

CNN is not the only network of fools in this country, obviously.

....and many have not......note the legal standard is more narrow and it is only after the legal standard has been discovered in a situation like this will there be any serious discussion as to the ethical cannons.

I hope you are right.

I do, too.

The Today Show had a panel of five or sixe black people and one white liberal who all agreed that the primary reason that GZ did not get convicted despite the 'overwhelming evidence' was racism. Black people's lives are not seen as being as valuable as white lives,
all whites profile blacks, even civilians, there is a presumption that if a white man kills a black man then the black man must have deserved it, and that what happened in this instance could have happened to any black child walking down the street in America (ie some white guy with a gun deliberately kills a black child for no reason and then claims self defense to get away with it).

And that confederacy of dunces failed to recognize the hatred that the entire Hispanic population in this country shoulders because of our open borders and immigrants who enter the country illegally. . Prejudice against Hispanics far and away outdistances prejudice against blacks. If the black militants could only recognize this and stop stumping for a race war............The Hispanics will go with whites in that if it ever happens, and the blacks are cruising for a serious bruising. Just sayin.'

I do, too.

And that confederacy of dunces failed to recognize the hatred that the entire Hispanic population in this country shoulders because of our open borders and immigrants who enter the country illegally. . Prejudice against Hispanics far and away outdistances prejudice against blacks. If the black militants could only recognize this and stop stumping for a race war............The Hispanics will go with whites in that if it ever happens, and the blacks are cruising for a serious bruising. Just sayin.'

having paid little attention to too many things--I wondered about that. Continually amazed that my area has entered a new phase. There were moments in the 90's that I wasn't sure we were going to survive --the diversity challenge --maybe we hit a plateau.

From a glance around the new QT--a super store--only a mile from the other QT--shelves are stocked with an assortment of ethnic treats. Everyone hates the traffic--it was a big deal to acquire another QT but progress. Rambling again.

Having discussed racism and classism until my ears bleed--that's all I've got.

....and many have not......note the legal standard is more narrow and it is only after the legal standard has been discovered in a situation like this will there be any serious discussion as to the ethical cannons.

I will agree that some have not. When I took the class in law school, someone asked why so few were ever disbarred for life. The prof's answer, 'it's the only way they have to earn a living.' We have one here in western KY who went to prison for 2 years, is back out practicing, and still runs for office.

After he pled guilty to violations of federal campaign finance laws, Hubbard served two years in prison from 1995 to 1997.[6]

Carroll Hubbard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that is an old pic. He is older than dirt.

I will agree that some have not. When I took the class in law school, someone asked why so few were ever disbarred for life. The prof's answer, 'it's the only way they have to earn a living.' We have one here in western KY who went to prison for 2 years, is back out practicing, and still runs for office.

After he pled guilty to violations of federal campaign finance laws, Hubbard served two years in prison from 1995 to 1997.[6]

I am aware of many who can never practice again. It is what it is. Many times these proceedings go on without much fanfare unless the attorney is already someone with a modicum of notoriety.

For those who wish to point to a few and think it is all are sorely mistaken. Many attorneys are suspended for a period of time with a requirement being to attend legal education classes, some need to attend a rehab of some kind and others are forever barred from practicing law. Depends on the facts of each case.

?
the IL prosecutor who charged Drew Peterson was interviewed last night.

lost election in 2000 for not prosecuting 2 cases--later the real killers were found--those accused were innocent.

later --ran again and was elected. still in office.

he stood by his ethical beliefs. fwiw.

yes--Sanford LE is pissed.

~~~
fact/not current/wikipedia--
'Based on the latest crime statistics compiled in 2010, the crime rate in Sanford, FL is above the aggregate national average'

Last edited:
if Martin were white there would have been no charges filed against Zimmerman

If Martin were white, the police would have slapped Zimmerman around until they got a confession out of him.

Interesting. The media has made Zimmerman out to be whiter than Tim Tebow when he's actually hispanic. I wonder if Martin were white if the situation would be reversed: outrage that a hispanic shot an unarmed white "child."

I am aware of many who can never practice again. It is what it is. Many times these proceedings go on without much fanfare unless the attorney is already someone with a modicum of notoriety.

For those who wish to point to a few and think it is all are sorely mistaken. Many attorneys are suspended for a period of time with a requirement being to attend legal education classes, some need to attend a rehab of some kind and others are forever barred from practicing law. Depends on the facts of each case.

LOL as in TN if you brother is on the board of legal examiners. Actually, lawyers are supposed to get continuing ed each year. The hours required in TN are FAR lower than I have to get to stay an NP. Also, even for female attorneys, in an adversarial system, there is a huge tendency to get into the win/lose thing, developing a 'game' mentality. But the referee may not be there until it is gone way to far. When I was in TN, there was a seminar that sounded interesting and students got in free if we had joined the association. So I went. I saw lawyer after lawyer sign in, fill out the evaluation, turn it in and leave. If nurses do that we don't get the certificate. Lawyering is a different world. When you can rearrange someone's life with a few strokes of the pen, you have a fearsome responsibility.

if Martin were white there would have been no charges filed against Zimmerman

If Martin were white, the police would have slapped Zimmerman around until they got a confession out of him.

Interesting. The media has made Zimmerman out to be whiter than Tim Tebow when he's actually hispanic. I wonder if Martin were white if the situation would be reversed: outrage that a hispanic shot an unarmed white "child."

someone should develop software on this a 'game'.

I seriously think time would be well spent in every classroom--high school at least--teaching the Law.

I know very little, too little.

Forum List

Back