🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Despite letters of apology from admin, congress furious over Bergdahl deal

Obama carried out his constitutional duty as CiC.

Doesn't matter what Congress or critics think.

He did the right thing, and it won't hurt his party in the elections.

Jake he didn't give Congress the required 30 day notification. He broke the law.

And to return the 5 top echelon Taliban members is going to come back to haunt the US.
He let go a known mass murderer who massacred innocent Afghan civilians on quite a regular basis.

He doesn't need to give 30 days..they changed that in the ndaa. Furthermore this plan has been in the works since at least 2012...Congress knew about it then.

You have nothing

Give us a link to that change in ndaa

Being in the works, is not the same thing as letting them know the exact time of exchange.

Tell that to Sen. Dianne Feinstein who is extremely upset over this.
Just because Obama issued a signing statement contending that the notification requirement was an unconstitutional infringement on his powers as commander in chief and that he therefore could override it does not make this right.

Congress should stop putting micro managing regulatory mandates in Appropriation Bills. He had the authority to do this under Powers granted to the President by the Constitution, not because he made a signing statement on the bill.

Could you quote the text?

No, you don't get "just once more." You know the text. Stop the faux rage Freewill.

Jake he didn't give Congress the required 30 day notification. He broke the law.

And to return the 5 top echelon Taliban members is going to come back to haunt the US.
He let go a known mass murderer who massacred innocent Afghan civilians on quite a regular basis.

He doesn't need to give 30 days..they changed that in the ndaa. Furthermore this plan has been in the works since at least 2012...Congress knew about it then.

You have nothing

Being in the works, is not the same thing as letting them know the exact time of exchange.

Constitutionally the president is supreme in this matter. Really. There is no legal issue.

You have nothing

Tell Fienstein, or is she grandstanding? Or as I suspect very ignorant?

Grandstanding I'd assume....he is cic he doesn't need to inform anyone..Presidents from Washington too Obama have done this with military matters.

WTF he signed it into law, now he may choose to ignore it but never the less it is law. Why did he apologize for something he didn't have to do?

Why would Feinstein be grandstanding on Obama's back?

Read and learn: Obama broke the law. He needs to admit it. - The Week

Someone with a source please clarify:

Does the Congress have veto power over a Commander-in-Chief's decision to make a prisoner swap?

Obviously not since all Congress is doing is the usual: false indignation and phony fury.

I personally think Bergdahl has something that the military wants but we will never know what it is. It's not about his health, wealth or happiness, or "bringin' 'em all home". Where's Edward Snowden when you need him?

Agreed---the whole thing stinks to high heaven. And if it's true about leaving no man behind what took Obama so long to recover him ? His parents behavior didn't show a lot of faith that Obama was on top of the situation. It doesn't look to me like the military or civil authorities feel pressured to explain anything.

Obama carried out his constitutional duty as CiC.

Doesn't matter what Congress or critics think.

He did the right thing, and it won't hurt his party in the elections.

You have nothing

Sigh, once again ass backwards, NDAA ESTABLISHED the requirement that Obama decided to ignore. Just think what you would be saying if this were Bush. Well we don't have to imagine if anyone was around 8 years ago.

Here, learn:
Obama broke the law. He needs to admit it. - The Week

The leftturds are using Obama's "signing statement" as an end around Congress. I remember when Obama slammed Bush's use of signing statements....

.“Congress’ job is to pass legislation,” Obama explained. “The president can veto it or he can sign it. But what George Bush has been trying to do as part of his effort to accumulate more power in the presidency. … He’s been saying, well I can basically change what Congress passed by attaching a letter saying ‘I don’t agree with this part or I don’t agree with that part, I’m going to choose to interpret it this way or that way.’”

“That’s not part of his power, but this is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he goes along,” he went on to say. “I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for 10 years. I believe in the Constitution and I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We’re not going to use signing statements as a way of doing an end-run around Congress.”
http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/03/o...ements-under-bush-now-uses-them-as-president/

He's a world class hypocrite and an Oscar worthy liar.

Congress should stop putting micro managing regulatory mandates in Appropriation Bills. He had the authority to do this under Powers granted to the President by the Constitution, not because he made a signing statement on the bill.

Could you quote the text?

No, you don't get "just once more." You know the text. Stop the faux rage Freewill.

I am not in a rage it is not I who has to defend Obama everyday. Now you sound like you are in a rage. You do understand that laws are set by the standard of the Consitution and the Bill of Rights. The NDAA was passed and SIGNED by Obama and the 30 day wait is within that bill it did not exclude it. Now Obama has chosen to ignore it but he doesn't even have the balls to say as much, he claims he didn't have time and forgot what a pussy.

Here learn: Obama broke the law. He needs to admit it. - The Week

You have nothing

Constitutionally the president is supreme in this matter. Really. There is no legal issue.

the only way he can free a criminal is to pardon him. They were criminals, not POW's.
Recall? They wanted to try them in US federal courts because they were charged with CRIMES.

Did he pardon them?

The leftturds are using Obama's "signing statement" as an end around Congress. I remember when Obama slammed Bush's use of signing statements....

.“Congress’ job is to pass legislation,” Obama explained. “The president can veto it or he can sign it. But what George Bush has been trying to do as part of his effort to accumulate more power in the presidency. … He’s been saying, well I can basically change what Congress passed by attaching a letter saying ‘I don’t agree with this part or I don’t agree with that part, I’m going to choose to interpret it this way or that way.’”

“That’s not part of his power, but this is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he goes along,” he went on to say. “I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for 10 years. I believe in the Constitution and I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We’re not going to use signing statements as a way of doing an end-run around Congress.”
Obama uses 'signing statements' he once denounced under Bush | The Daily Caller

He's a world class hypocrite and an Oscar worthy liar.

I don't know about being a hypocrite, he always was a commie and always will the law be damned. Now the flying monkeys are circling in his defense, once again.

the only way he can free a criminal is to pardon him. They were criminals, not POW's.
Recall? They wanted to try them in US federal courts because they were charged with CRIMES.

Did he pardon them?

And before you answer...

just remember one thing.

A President can pardon anyone he wants.

But he needs congress approval to spend tax payer money on the ones pardoned...including transporting them out of the country

Freewill said:
Sigh, once again ass backwards, NDAA ESTABLISHED the requirement that Obama decided to ignore. Just think what you would be saying if this were Bush. Well we don't have to imagine if anyone was around 8 years ago. Obama broke the law. He needs to admit it. -

No, he doesn't because he didn't, but now you are publishing provable libel.

Jarhead said:
the only way he can free a criminal is to pardon him. They were criminals, not POW's. Recall? They wanted to try them in US federal courts because they were charged with CRIMES. Did he pardon them?

I apologize for, "You demonstrate your poor secondary school education and ignorance." That was uncalled for. However, you wrong about the context of the this issue.

Pardon has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:
I found this interesting from that article.

The uproar over Bergdahl extended even to his hometown, the rural hamlet of Hailey, Idaho, where officials canceled plans to hold a celebration this month. They cited security concerns after being inundated with negative emails and angry phone calls.

Why he did it? Congress can't be trusted not to leak. The circus to follow could have scuttled the deal

He broke the law.

He said he would ignore that 30 day notification requirement under certain circumstances when that law conflicted with his duties as Commander in Chief, so in this case he is a man of his word.

Correct, he said he would violate the law and did violate the law. Just like Bonnie and Clyde said they would rob more banks and did.

He broke the law.

He said he would ignore that 30 day notification requirement under certain circumstances when that law conflicted with his duties as Commander in Chief, so in this case he is a man of his word.

Correct, he said he would violate the law and did violate the law. Just like Bonnie and Clyde said they would rob more banks and did.

He said he would do his constitutional duty, and he did so.

Jarhead said:
the only way he can free a criminal is to pardon him. They were criminals, not POW's. Recall? They wanted to try them in US federal courts because they were charged with CRIMES. Did he pardon them?

You demonstrate your poor secondary school education and ignorance.

Pardon has nothing to do with this.

Really?

And you call me ignorant?

JS...you may learn something if you open your mind.

They are charged with crimes. Not war crimes. Crimes against Americans. That is why Holder believed they should be tried in US Federal Courts.

The President can not declare a criminal "not guilty" and order his release....however he CAN pardon him.

But he can not spend a dime of tax payer money on that pardoned criminal without approval of congress.

He did exactly that this week.

Tell that to Sen. Dianne Feinstein who is extremely upset over this.
Just because Obama issued a signing statement contending that the notification requirement was an unconstitutional infringement on his powers as commander in chief and that he therefore could override it does not make this right.

You seem to forget that these detainees are not POW's. They were labeled BY THIS ADMINISTRATION as criminals...thus why he wanted to have them tried in US federal courts.

Now, yes, the President has the right to pardon a criminal without congressional approval, but he does not have the right to free them and use taxpayer money to transport them without congressional approval.

Well, he did not pardon those guys...at least not with an official Presidential pardon.....and he DID use taxpayer money to transport them without approval of congress.

So don't be so quick to repeat a CiC's authority......for it may not be applicable here.

Time will tell.

I don't think the Constitution limits that power to POW's exclusively does it?

Lets send the Taliban a taxi bill for the flight.

Forum List

Back