Did Jesus, Buddha & Mohammed really exist?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Ignoring what it says in the holy books themselves, what evidence is there that any of these three gentlemen actually walked the earth?

Or, to put it another way, even if they were real people - what evidence is there that they were 'special'?

Ignoring what it says in the holy books themselves, what evidence is there that any of these three gentlemen actually walked the earth?

Or, to put it another way, even if they were real people - what evidence is there that they were 'special'?
How do you know Plato existed?

You "know " through cross referencing all existing reports that mention a person directly and indirectly .
Nobody of any repute even begins to doubt the existence of Jesus , for example . The evidence is overwhelming .
However , it is more interesting to look at the political agendas of those who refer to him and his alleged ministry and associated sayings .
The authenticity of the Bible , for example , comes under great strain once scholarship moves to that area for examination .

You "know " through cross referencing all existing reports that mention a person directly and indirectly .
Nobody of any repute even begins to doubt the existence of Jesus , for example . The evidence is overwhelming .
However , it is more interesting to look at the political agendas of those who refer to him and his alleged ministry and associated sayings .
The authenticity of the Bible , for example , comes under great strain once scholarship moves to that area for examination .

There's a lot more historical evidence for the existence of Mohammed than of Jesus. There are plenty of people of "repute" that doubt the existence of Jesus as told in the Bible. As for the Buddha, I haven't a clue.

Sure, the pedophile Muhammad existed. His 6 year old wife said so in the sacred hadith :eek:

Sahih Bukhari Hadith V1B6N298: Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet and I used to take a bath from a single pot while we were Junub. During the menses, he used to order me to put on an Izar (dress worn below the waist) and used to fondle me. While in Itikaf, he used to bring his head near me and I would wash it while I used to be in my periods (menses). :eek:

Sure, the pedophile Muhammad existed. His 6 year old wife said so in the sacred hadith :eek:

Sahih Bukhari Hadith V1B6N298: Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet and I used to take a bath from a single pot while we were Junub. During the menses, he used to order me to put on an Izar (dress worn below the waist) and used to fondle me. While in Itikaf, he used to bring his head near me and I would wash it while I used to be in my periods (menses). :eek:
Now, Maryland, let's be fair with Muh. He waited until she was 9 to have sex with her. What a guy, huh?

Now, Maryland, let's be fair with Muh. He waited until she was 9 to have sex with her. What a guy, huh?

She was 17. Never speak without knowledge.

That's a lie.

According to traditional sources, Aisha was six or seven years old when she was betrothed to Muhammad and nine when the marriage was consummated.[13][13][15][16][17][18][19] However, al-Tabari records that she was ten.
Aisha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to traditional sources, Aisha was six or seven years old when she was betrothed to Muhammad and nine when the marriage was consummated.[13][13][15][16][17][18][19] However, al-Tabari records that she was ten.
Aisha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. It is also known that her moving to the Prophet's household took place in the first or second year after migration from Makkah to Madina. It is also known that the Makkan period lasted for 13 years, and the famous biographer Ibn Is-haq lists the name of Aisha among the very early persons who accepted Islam in the first few months of the Prophet's mission. If we were to add a minimum age of Aisha to understand what she was accepting, say 4 + the 13 years in Makkah + 1 or 2 years in Madina, it adds up probably to 19 years and not only 9, which is the number reported in Al-Bukhari.

7. While the above is more than enough, it is noted also that many historians have debated the age of Aisha when she married the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). One is that some say that Aisha died at the age of 50 after migration, at the age of 67, which means that she was born 17 years old before migration, and since her marriage was consummated one or two years after migration, it must have taken place at the age of 19.

-Jamal Badawi

Did Jesus, Buddha & Mohammed really exist?

... what evidence is there that any of these three gentlemen actually walked the earth?

for JC there does not appear to be any ... not that he did not exist but that his existence's lack of evidence does not support the acclaim given to him by religious text and clergy.

That's a lie.

Whether a lie or not, it's definitely off the topic of the OP.

There is no evidence any of them were special.

Probably the one who has the strongest evidence of being a historical figure is Mohammed, as the Islamic religion rose very quickly after his life.

Jesus is a bit more questionable, since we don't get accounts of his life until a century later, and even then, they massively contradict each other, even the four "Canon" Gospels the church recognizes, much less the hundreds they rejected.

I don't know enough about Bhuddism to venture an opinion on Bhudda. However, the fact that the first writings about him don't emerge until 400 years after his death, I'm doubtful.

There is no evidence any of them were special.

Probably the one who has the strongest evidence of being a historical figure is Mohammed, as the Islamic religion rose very quickly after his life.

Jesus is a bit more questionable, since we don't get accounts of his life until a century later, and even then, they massively contradict each other, even the four "Canon" Gospels the church recognizes, much less the hundreds they rejected.

I don't know enough about Bhuddism to venture an opinion on Bhudda. However, the fact that the first writings about him don't emerge until 400 years after his death, I'm doubtful.

^A winner.

I would say the evedince is fairly strong for Jesus. I admit I don't know enough about Mohamed to have an opinion. Sidhartha is pretty sketchy given a complete lack of any written history for a couple a centuries after his death.

Does it really matter? The impact of Socrates is the influence of his writings. The writings exist, even if the source was someone else.

Forum List

Back