Dipping faucets

I left mine dripping, but it froze anyway. Suppose to warm up tomorrow or the next day. I dread finding how much damage was done,

I left mine dripping, but it froze anyway. Suppose to warm up tomorrow or the next day. I dread finding how much damage was done,

I heard letting them drip is a myth, but I don't really know for sure. My father has problems from time to time with his rental house, but he tells them to just keep the kitchen and bathroom cabinets open for heat to get to the lines, and he no longer has many problems.

Well, the water pressure came back but now I have a burst pipe.
It's the supply line to the Hot Water heater.
Most of the water is running out of the bottom of the wall to the outside, but some of it is on the inside of the laundry room.
I called a bunch of plumbers.
Yea, they are busy and it's Christmas eve.
I am on a waiting list. $$$$$$

Last edited:
I think it all depends on your situation. Here it was -4 degrees and the wind blowing at 24 mph. I didn't run any water and the pipes were fine. It's about 8 degrees now and the same thing. However, with the exception of one apartment, all my plumbing are in inside walls. They won't freeze under any circumstance. If you have water lines in the outside walls, that's something to be a little more concerned about. But no, a small drip is not going to lower water pressure.
I have an unheated and unfinished basement that can get pretty cold. All My plumbing is in the basement and one line into the kitchen on an outside wall.

The house was built in 1925 and used to be heated by fuel oil. Back when fuel oil was pennies per gallon.

Most of the water is running out of the bottom of the wall to outside, but some of it is on the inside of the laundry room.

Don't you have a shutoff valve going to the hot water tank or way before it?

Most of the water is running out of the bottom of the wall to outside, but some of it is on the inside of the laundry room.
Feeling pretty smug at this point that I know how to do all my own household repairs.

City water systems always use towers or some other kind of elevated tanks or reservoirs to supply water by gravity. Water is often pumped uphill from the source to the tank but pumps do not supply water pressure. Gravity is much more dependable.
Houston uses pumps believe it or not and that is why they were asking City Residents not to leave their faucets running.

I heard letting them drip is a myth, but I don't really know for sure. My father has problems from time to time with his rental house, but he tells them to just keep the kitchen and bathroom cabinets open for heat to get to the lines, and he no longer has many problems.
It does work, but the key to open the facets that are furthest from the source. That way, your entire system is running.

Houston uses pumps believe it or not and that is why they were asking City Residents not to leave their faucets running.

Texas seems to be terribly neglectful of it's infrastructure. Their civil engineers must have went to a correspondence school.

Feeling pretty smug at this point that I know how to do all my own household repairs.
I do as well, but the costs in time and materials is still more than just letting a faucet run for a few days.

Climate change is bringing awareness of the need to insulate against cold weather in regions of American where it's neven been a concern before.

If the weather turns out to be as bad as predicted, there will be some serious consequences suffered by the denialists!

Hasn't it always been a matter of 'personal experience' being the only convincing factor for those who just will not accept the proof science has offered?

Not Even personal experience can permeate the groomed skulls of leftists.

Cities that have a good crew tell you to run the faucet the size of a pencil. And they take it into consideration in billing. We have minus 15 without wind chill. Not all that cold except if you are a weak kneed southerner

Texas seems to be terribly neglectful of it's infrastructure. Their civil engineers must have went to a correspondence school.
Houston is ran by Democrats and has been for decades, so if you are going to throw a punch about the entire State and convict the entire State because of HOUSTON Engineer’s then you are proving to be a partisan hack!

Also Houston has an issue of flooding because the reality is Houston was supposed to be a Lake and not the massive City it is but because of a Massive Drought that lasted fifty years the city grew.

If you think you can do better than the Democratic Mayor in the City of Houston or the Democratic Leadership of Harris County then come down here and fix the issue.

If they thought Towers would work they would have used them like they use them here in the County I live in and we never have these damn issues!

I think it all depends on your situation. Here it was -4 degrees and the wind blowing at 24 mph. I didn't run any water and the pipes were fine. It's about 8 degrees now and the same thing. However, with the exception of one apartment, all my plumbing are in inside walls. They won't freeze under any circumstance. If you have water lines in the outside walls, that's something to be a little more concerned about. But no, a small drip is not going to lower water pressure.
We have cold winters here -- but our pipes are 5 ft. underground where they enter the house and the house is warm. Outside hose bibs are frost frees and we keep an insulator on each of them. We don't drip. Pressure vessel would keep the well pressure constant anyway.

Forum List

Back