Dixie Chicks...Toby Keith /whats the big deal?

Holy smokes I forgot a couple of big guys I like: Johnny Lee, Johnny Paycheck and Bob Wills And The Texas Playboys. I will give props also to a relative newcomer I like, Brad Paisley, he seems like the real deal.

I'm too lazy to go back and look now but whoever mentioned Asleep At The Wheel...they kick ass! Also not for the politically correct country lover is Mr. David Allan Coe.

Tim you can tell you live in Texas, nobody outside knows who Jerry Jeff Walker is, I went to school at ACU in Abilene and saw him at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth, friggin great show!

HGROKIT said:
Um, Joyce is from NYC?

And to fend off further questions, the "get a rope" comment comes from an old Pace Picante commercial, wherein they were talking about Picante made in NYC.
You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss NYC. I happen to be extremely conversant and knowledgeable about country music and its singers...I'm from NY too. See, that's the great thing about NY we have access and appreciation for all types of cultures here.

OCA said:
Holy smokes I forgot a couple of big guys I like: Johnny Lee, Johnny Paycheck and Bob Wills And The Texas Playboys. I will give props also to a relative newcomer I like, Brad Paisley, he seems like the real deal.

I'm too lazy to go back and look now but whoever mentioned Asleep At The Wheel...they kick ass! Also not for the politically correct country lover is Mr. David Allan Coe.

Tim you can tell you live in Texas, nobody outside knows who Jerry Jeff Walker is, I went to school at ACU in Abilene and saw him at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth, friggin great show!

Being from Austin I get the opportunity the see these folks a lot !!! Seen Jerry Jeff fall of his stool drink many o time. Asleep at the Wheel is my favorite band of all time---they are pure musicians and very classy people !!!

OCA said:
I mentioned them. I like David Allan Coe too. I especially like "Longhaired Redneck", "The Ride", and "You Never Even Called me by My Name".

People should know who he is if for no other reason than because he wrote "Mr. Bojangles".

tim_duncan2000 said:
"Guitar Man"
"I Hung It Up" (You can listen to a sample here)
"Surf Medley (Pipeline, Walk Don't Run, & Secret Agent Man)"

Go here to see his complete discography and find out more about him.

Wonderful! Now that's the stuff I like. I listened to most of what was there and I thought "Long Walk Back" sounded really good. I have a friend who is going to love this, I'll pass it on to him.

tim_duncan2000 said:
I mentioned them. I like David Allan Coe too. I especially like "Longhaired Redneck", "The Ride", and "You Never Even Called me by My Name".

People should know who he is if for no other reason than because he wrote "Mr. Bojangles".

and we must not leave out the ever popular Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen :mm: !!!!!!!

Geez, I gotta write all these names down! I'm a blues fanatic at heart, but I always keep an open mind! To everyone contributing to this thread, thanks, you guys ROCK!

Said1 said:
Geez, I gotta write all these names down! I'm a blues fanatic at heart, but I always keep an open mind! To everyone contributing to this thread, thanks, you guys ROCK!

Was never a big blues fan but it's really growing in popularity here in Austin too. Always some good stuff to hear here and most of the time it's free .

KEEP AUSTIN WIERD!!

tim_duncan2000 said:

Didn't he sing/write "the asshole song"? I used to sing that to my ex. :D often. "You don't have to call me dariling tonight" was another one I liked.

dilloduck said:
Was never a big blues fan but it's really growing in popularity here in Austin too. Always some good stuff to hear here and most of the time it's free .

KEEP AUSTIN WIERD!!

Being a Dead Head, is it ok to assume you like Hot Tuna? THey have covered some really good blues songs such as "San Francisco Bay" and "Hesitation Blues" that do not offend your ears. ;)

OK, I'll be the hit guy for this thread.

I like Toby Keith.

I also like the direction country has gone the last few years. While many may bemoan the merging of rock elements in country, for someone like me who comes from a rock background, it gets me more interested in country.

OK, flame away! :D

gop_jeff said:

I like Toby Keith.

I also like the direction country has gone the last few years. While many may bemoan the merging of rock elements in country, for someone like me who comes from a rock background, it gets me more interested in country.

no flames here----country rock combo is FUN music. :clap:

gop_jeff said:

I like Toby Keith.

1 week in the stockade for you!

Uhh?? wasn't the Toby Keith - Dixie Chicks fued about 2 years ago??

Since a good friend of Toby's daughter died of illness he pretty much washed his hands of the affair. Really seems like a non-issue and quite frankly a dumb question to ask.

These two may be trying to distance themselves from their little feud, but it is still talked about in the media and around country music circles. Can't fault the guy for trying to figure something out.

Good lesson though on thinking before you open your mouth...perhaps Mr. Keith and the Dixie Chicks out to have thought about solutions to real problems in this world other than everyone agreeing with their opinion.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Look up a guy named Erich Kunzel. Fairly obscure, and I doubt you've heard him on the radio, but he has a song called Bluegrass Fiddle Medley I bet you would like.

Will do, Jimmy. Thanks.

And, to those who mentioned Asleep at the Wheel - oh, HELL yeah! They've always been a favorite of mine, and when they added my baby, Mary Ann Price, on vocals, that was it for me.

She was a member of a very strange, but very good acoustic quintet called Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, back in the day. I count that band as one of my major musical influences - which is to say that I'm a fairly warped individual.

Forum List

Back