Dixie Chicks...Toby Keith /whats the big deal?

Believe it or not, I tend to be hopeful about this situation. As long as there's a kid somewhere, itching to play, and needing to sing out his/her joy and sorrow, the good stuff will continue to come. And, the internet, just as it has done with political discourse, will provide a forum for the genuine article, despite what the "suits" and their "conventional wisdom" say.

musicman said:
Believe it or not, I tend to be hopeful about this situation. As long as there's a kid somewhere, itching to play, and needing to sing out his/her joy and sorrow, the good stuff will continue to come. And, the internet, just as it has done with political discourse, will provide a forum for the genuine article, despite what the "suits" and their "conventional wisdom" say.

I don't mean to sound as though I feel all modern music is crappy, I know this isn't the case. I agree with your assesment of the internet, and have come across many talented artist I probably would not have if I hadn't found them on some web site, or was introduced to them by someone on-line. In a sense, it probably depends on what you like too. I tend to be partial to the bands sound, with particular attention paid to the skill of the guitar player. Some listen the singers vocal ability, and song lyrics - we all have our preferences.

Buck Owens! Holy crap! That is good stuff!

All the artists mentioned were true country with the exception of Dolly Parton, she too has swerved from country into pop and other stuff a time or two and she tended to hy away from twangy hardcore country.

George Strait, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Alan Jackson, Tammy Wynette, Dwight Yoakam, Keith Whitley, Loretta Lynn, Chris LeDoux, Tracy Byrd, Mickey Gilley, Charlie Daniels......now they are country

not like these goofs

Tim McGraw, Brooks and Dunn, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, GARTH BROOKS SOMEONE LOAD THE BLACK TALONS FOR THIS IDIOT, Kenny Chesney, Trace Adkins(nice ponytail), Dixie Slits, Toby Keith, Wynonna etc. etc. all this crap is nothing more than adult contemporary with a steel guitar and fiddle(sometimes)

OCA said:
Buck Owens! Holy crap! That is good stuff!

All the artists mentioned were true country with the exception of Dolly Parton, she too has swerved from country into pop and other stuff a time or two and she tended to hy away from twangy hardcore country.

George Strait, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Alan Jackson, Tammy Wynette, Dwight Yoakam, Keith Whitley, Loretta Lynn, Chris LeDoux, Tracy Byrd, Mickey Gilley, Charlie Daniels......now they are country

not like these goofs

Tim McGraw, Brooks and Dunn, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, GARTH BROOKS SOMEONE LOAD THE BLACK TALONS FOR THIS IDIOT, Kenny Chesney, Trace Adkins(nice ponytail), Dixie Slits, Toby Keith, Wynonna etc. etc. all this crap is nothing more than adult contemporary with a steel guitar and fiddle(sometimes)

Call me crazy, but I think Garth Brooks is EEEVVVIIILL, I don't know what it is about him that rubs me the wrong , he just strikes me as an incredible phony. I think he would do good in politics, or used car sales - depending on how his career goes. I would personally love to slap Don Mclean for singing live with him, let alone aloowing him to cover his song! Now Mickey Gilley on the other hand, there's an orginal, I haven't listened to him in eons.

I don't mind the chicks, they can play, although I've never really liked the singer - she kinda gets on my nerves.

Said1 said:
Call me crazy, but I think Garth Brooks is EEEVVVIIILL, I don't know what it is about him that rubs me the wrong , he just strikes me as an incredible phony. I think he would do good in politics, or used car sales - depending on how his career goes. I would personally love to slap Don Mclean for singing live with him, let alone aloowing him to cover his song! Now Mickey Gilley on the other hand, there's an orginal, I haven't listened to him in eons.

I don't mind the chicks, they can play, although I've never really liked the singer - she kinda gets on my nerves.

Garth is the one who started the current trend of blending rock and country and that its the look that counts not the music with all his flame shirts and crap, no self respectin' cowboy would be caught dead listening to his music much less emulating him. Not to mention the fact that before college he admits he didn't listen to country but to metal music, he couldn't make it has a rock star so he went into country for the money only.

As for the Chicks, yeah that little lead singer is liberal and has gotten them into all the current hot water they are in.

OCA said:
Garth is the one who started the current trend of blending rock and country and that its the look that counts not the music with all his flame shirts and crap, no self respectin' cowboy would be caught dead listening to his music much less emulating him. Not to mention the fact that before college he admits he didn't listen to country but to metal music, he couldn't make it has a rock star so he went into country for the money only.

As for the Chicks, yeah that little lead singer is liberal and has gotten them into all the current hot water they are in.

I wouldn't call it a rock and country blend, but it's safe to assume we agree he stinks no matter what category his shit fall under. He could learn something from bands like Lynard Skynard and Steve Earl if he wants to blend rock, country, and little bit blues. I loves those Southern guys/gals. I think some of the world's best music has come out of the south, must be something in the water down there.

OCA said:
...... with the exception of Dolly Parton, she too has swerved from country into pop and other stuff a time or two and she tended to hy away from twangy hardcore country.)

So, she's tried her artistic hand at something different? I'm not a big Dolly fan. But tho' she may not be as country as she was when she sang with Porter Wagner, she's still an excellant artist/songwriter.

Joz said:
So, she's tried her artistic hand at something different? I'm not a big Dolly fan. But tho' she may not be as country as she was when she sang with Porter Wagner, she's still an excellant artist/songwriter.

Ok, point taken. I just can't get "9 To 5" and "Here You Come Again" out of my head. She did do some bluegrass stuff recently that made me stand up and take notice. Granted in the mid 90's I got so fed up with country music in its current state that i've stopped listening completely, oh i'll go out and buy the latest George Strait but when Merle Haggard can't even get his new stuff onto the radio something is wrong. I'll go and get my haircut and they will have the local country station on and its like WTF???????????????

I agree about the sad state of so-called country music. I am from San Antonio and in addition to the ones already mentioned (Hank Williams Jr and Sr, Waylon Jennings, Merle, George Jones, Johnny Cash, etc), I also like a lot of the Texas artists like Robert Earl Keen, Roger Creager, Dale Watson (I especially love his songs that are indictments of current so-called country songs. They are called "Country My Ass", "A Real Country Song", and "Nashville Rash", and I highly recommend those songs), Jerry Jeff Walker (not born in Texas, actually from New York State, but he loves Texas), Gary P Nunn, and some others.

I also like:

Junior Brown (some of his stuff is not country, but a lot of it is, and he's the only guy I know of who plays the guitar and the steel guitar [he even has a custom made double-neck guitar that is both a regular guitar and a steel guitar])

Hank Thompson (another older artist who is more Western Swing than country)

Asleep at the Wheel (also more of a Western Swing band).

Said1 said:
I wouldn't call it a rock and country blend, but it's safe to assume we agree he stinks no matter what category his shit fall under. He could learn something from bands like Lynard Skynard and Steve Earl if he wants to blend rock, country, and little bit blues. I loves those Southern guys/gals. I think some of the world's best music has come out of the south, must be something in the water down there.

Molly Hatchet kicks ass!

Joz said:

I checked out that web site above, and all I can say is "YEEEEHAAAAW, that boy is one helluva picker!" I live for the blue grass tent at blues fes every year (that's where they put eveyone who isn't main stream blues). The poor guys usually get drowned out by the main stage grrrr.

I never really cared for Dolly's shakey voice, although I really liked one song, I think it was "Here you come again", or something like that. My father had the single, and played all the time. He's the one who really ingrained the old stuff into my head, he used to critique everything from the musicians, to the singers style, lyrics EVERYTHING. My mother liked the Doors, I guess I'm the result of such a funny mix in one household!

tim_duncan2000 said:
I agree about the sad state of so-called country music. I am from San Antonio and in addition to the ones already mentioned (Hank Williams Jr and Sr, Waylon Jennings, Merle, George Jones, Johnny Cash, etc), I also like a lot of the Texas artists like Robert Earl Keen, Roger Creager, Dale Watson (I especially love his songs that are indictments of current so-called country songs. They are called "Country My Ass", "A Real Country Song", and "Nashville Rash", and I highly recommend those songs), Jerry Jeff Walker (not born in Texas, actually from New York State, but he loves Texas), Gary P Nunn, and some others.

I also like:

Junior Brown (some of his stuff is not country, but a lot of it is, and he's the only guy I know of who plays the guitar and the steel guitar [he even has a custom made double-neck guitar that is both a regular guitar and a steel guitar])

Hank Thompson (another older artist who is more Western Swing than country)

Asleep at the Wheel (also more of a Western Swing band).

Sounds good, I'm always on the hunt for new music, thanks for names! Junior Brown has me especially curious, could you provide the names of a few not country songs?

musicman said:

Not all the modern country stars play the crossover crap. George Strait and Alan Jackson are good. When Garth Brooks moves away from the crossover stuff and actually plays country, he can put out some really good stuff. If you want to get blown away by some good, old fashioned country music, check out Hank Williams III.

Western swing, southern rock, traditional country - oh, HELL yeah! You folks are talkin' to ME now!

I'd like to go across the bridge of Garth Brooks' nose with a two-by-four. Ever the marketing genius, he slicked America into thinking he was just an "aw shucks" country boy. Then he goes on the Baba Wawa show and extols the virtues of homosexuality, and says he'd like to institute a holiday on which every nation in the world would fly one flag. He's a poll-driven whore who's trying desperately to "go Hollywood". Only trouble is - they're done with him now. He's served his purpose. Nobody, anywhere gives a flying shit what the "politically correct cowboy" has to say anymore.

Country music fans are a different breed. Once they love you, they love you. They'll support you even after you've gotten old and can't even sing and play anymore. Just stay real. Don't "get above your raisin'". Don't go Hollywood. That, they will never forgive.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Not all the modern country stars play the crossover crap. George Strait and Alan Jackson are good. When Garth Brooks moves away from the crossover stuff and actually plays country, he can put out some really good stuff. If you want to get blown away by some good, old fashioned country music, check out Hank Williams III.

Just now caught your post, Jimmy. You're absolutely right - real country is alive and well. I just wish the radio stations would get a clue.

And, I'll give credit where credit is due. Garth Brooks sings his ass off.

could you provide the names of a few not country songs?
"Guitar Man"
"I Hung It Up" (You can listen to a sample [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000DFW/qid=1093125234/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/103-5845908-4830201]here[/ame])
"Surf Medley (Pipeline, Walk Don't Run, & Secret Agent Man)"

Go here to see his complete discography and find out more about him.

musicman said:
Just now caught your post, Jimmy. You're absolutely right - real country is alive and well. I just wish the radio stations would get a clue.

And, I'll give credit where credit is due. Garth Brooks sings his ass off.

Look up a guy named Erich Kunzel. Fairly obscure, and I doubt you've heard him on the radio, but he has a song called Bluegrass Fiddle Medley I bet you would like.

Said1..... could you provide the names of a few not country songs?[/QUOTE said:
If you're interested in guitar these guys kick hiney

Danny Gatton
FranK Gambale (pronounced gam-BALL-ee) (Aussie)
Chris Duarte
Adrian Legg (this man openedd for Eric Johnson--Wow)

OCA said:
Ok, point taken. I just can't get "9 To 5" and "Here You Come Again" out of my head. She did do some bluegrass stuff recently that made me stand up and take notice. ....... but when Merle Haggard can't even get his new stuff onto the radio something is wrong.?

I really have to agree with you.
I haven't heard her bluegrass stuff. I think she writes very well....better than she sings.

Merle, on the other hand....is "I can sing it 'cause I lived it" kind of singer/songwriter. He doesn't fit the GQ image so he won't get air play. In today's market, why should talent matter?

Forum List

Back