Dixie Chicks...Toby Keith /whats the big deal?

musicman said:
And, to those who mentioned Asleep at the Wheel - oh, HELL yeah! They've always been a favorite of mine, and when they added my baby, Mary Ann Price, on vocals, that was it for me.

She was a member of a very strange, but very good acoustic quintet called Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, back in the day. I count that band as one of my major musical influences - which is to say that I'm a fairly warped individual.

I would like to start a new thread in the music section for those who want to name or discuss some off beat fairly unheard of artists. It doesn't have to be a specific musical catagory, anyone with something too offer should list what they can.

Thanks, musicman, two more to look up!

musicman said:
OCA:

I agree with you on the general state of country music. It's pretty much indistinguishable from the more mediocre examples of '70s rock - except that someone reminds them to twang or sing about tractors every now and again. It's a shame, because true country music is as uniquely American as jazz or blues. It should be treated with respect, instead of being turned out like a two-dollar whore.

I had to pull this from page one. I had to tell you musicman, that you are spot right on. Anymore country music isn't even worth listening to. I don't know what the hell it is, but it sure the hell isn't "country". It's morphed from it's beginings into something unrecognizable. It's a cross between pop, rock, and lounge music. Basically... IT SUCKS!

"Country" music used to be my mainstay. Now, since there isn't any anymore, I never listen to it.

Pale Rider said:
I had to pull this from page one. I had to tell you musicman, that you are spot right on. Anymore country music isn't even worth listening to. I don't know what the hell it is, but it sure the hell isn't "country". It's morphed from it's beginings into something unrecognizable. It's a cross between pop, rock, and lounge music. Basically... IT SUCKS!

"Country" music used to be my mainstay. Now, since there isn't any anymore, I never listen to it.

It's sad, isn't it? I'm not a communist, by any means. I know that business is not an inherently evil thing. And, without radio, video, CD distribution, and the like, not only would we lose access to our favorite music - the artists who make that music couldn't survive. That said, though, I think that anytime you put the words "music" and "business" together, the potential for trouble is there.

The only country artists getting any help today are disposable GQ cover boys (a thumb in a cowboy hat, I call them) and pinup models who can maybe sing a little (maybe not). Teach 'em how to twang, plug in a backup band, and put their asses on the road.

Meanwhile, Haggard and Jones can't get arrested. How screwed is that?

Forum List

Back