Dixie KY rifle

Shawnee_b

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2019
South Central KY
A fav. 50 cal. Dixie Tenn rifle, not made in YEARS. Double sets, tack driver, got the flintlock for it too (converts) These are fine, try to find one.
1st pic laying on a mess black walnuts drying.

p42P6Jc.jpg
ShEILGp.jpg
vhXZ1gQ.jpg
TGqr32t.jpg

A fav. 50 cal. Dixie Tenn rifle, not made in YEARS. Double sets, tack driver, got the flintlock for it too (converts) These are fine, try to find one.

p42P6Jc.jpg
ShEILGp.jpg
vhXZ1gQ.jpg
TGqr32t.jpg

Are you sure it was made in KY? Most of the flintlocks that were manufactured with riflings were made in PA for the first number of years. They were only nickname Kentucky Long Rifles for some reason.

p42P6Jc.jpg
ShEILGp.jpg
vhXZ1gQ.jpg
TGqr32t.jpg

Are you sure it was made in KY? Most of the flintlocks that were manufactured with riflings were made in PA for the first number of years. They were only nickname Kentucky Long Rifles for some reason.

Sorry all, it's "Dixie Tenn" rifle, not KY.

Yes Darryl you are correct there. Takes a well trained eye and lots of study to pick all the nuances on the old rifles. I was much sharper at one time, seems I have forgotten more than I have learned in the last couple decades of senility! :)

p42P6Jc.jpg
ShEILGp.jpg
vhXZ1gQ.jpg
TGqr32t.jpg

Yes Darryl you are correct there. Takes a well trained eye and lots of study to pick all the nuances on the old rifles. I was much sharper at one time, seems I have forgotten more than I have learned in the last couple decades of senility! :)

I just got lucky for all the wrong reasons.

That's OK. Gotta keep each other on track. Seems PA rifles had much more drop in the comb.

That's OK. Gotta keep each other on track. Seems PA rifles had much more drop in the comb.

Historically the PA rifle predates both the KY and the TN rifles so it would be a tad bit different. To tell you the truth, I couldn't tell the difference, myself.

vhXZ1gQ.jpg
TGqr32t.jpg

It converts from percussion cap to flintlock? That's really cool, I did not know these old rifles could do that.

Yes. Dixie made them that way. The locks interchange. Just have to remove the nipple and drum and screw in a venthole insert. Easy, cool conversion. When I am up and running pic wise I'll get a pic of the lock by the other one.

p42P6Jc.jpg
ShEILGp.jpg
vhXZ1gQ.jpg
TGqr32t.jpg

I think the first referrence we find to "Kentucky Rifle" is in Samuel Woodworth's 1822 poem "The Hunters of Kentucky" celebrating Jackson's defeat of the British in the Battle of New Orleans. It was turned into a song and was quite popular as our fledgling nation was looking for contemporary heroes considering the War of 1812 was one American loss after another prior to that battle.

But Jackson was wide awake,
and wasn’t scar’d of trifles,

For well he knew what aim we take
with our Kentucky rifles;

p42P6Jc.jpg
ShEILGp.jpg
vhXZ1gQ.jpg
TGqr32t.jpg

It converts from percussion cap to flintlock? That's really cool, I did not know these old rifles could do that.
It's not really an "old" rifle, maybe from the 1970s. With some of the modern production models the switch back and forth is easily done otherwise it's extremely hard to convert one ignition style to another and requires a properly trained gunsmith.

Actually no. The Tennessee Mountain rifle falls under the generic Southern Mountain Rifle, early 1800s and Southern Mountain Rifles have some of the steepest drop of all. Unfortunately many (not all) of the early reproduction production guns were generic designs that did not completely reflect any one known "school", that is what strict documentarians say.

iu

Put the flintlock on it........ :D

I hope to soon. Project along with the fusil. Kinda worried about getting the drum out though.

Forum List

Back