Do Americans Know Enough About Russia/Ukraine to Support US Involvement ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
In the mid-1960s, then US President Lyndon Johnson sent massive numbers of US troops to Vietnam. At the time, most Americans, without having much information, blindly supported this action. A few years later, after Americans became more informed (and thousands of dead troops were returning in wooden crates), millions of Americans became fiercely opposed to that military endeavor, and Johnson himself refused to run for re-election in 1968.

I don't know too much about the Russia/Ukraine scenario, but I do know that Ukraine has been part of Russia for hundreds of years. Ukraine is rich in natural resources, while the Ukranian people (with 99.8% literacy) are among the poorest in the world.

Would the Ukranians, now tolerating a corrupt government, be worse off, the same, or better off if that corrupt government disappeared, and Russia (or just about anybody else) were to talk over in Ukraine ? Is Russia going to be fighting the Ukranian PEOPLE, or just a Ukrainan GOVERNMENT, that represents not much more than a wealthy plutocracy of a small number of Ukrainians ?

In any case, Russia is currently going into Ukraine (a non-NATO country), so what business is it of Joe Biden or the US government to be involved in this, with sanctions, troops, or in whatever way ? Do we really understand this whole thing ?

In the mid-1960s, then US President Lyndon Johnson sent massive numbers of US troops to Vietnam. At the time, most Americans, without having much information, blindly supported this action. A few years later, after Americans became more informed (and thousands of dead troops were returning in wooden crates), millions of Americans became fiercely opposed to that military endeavor, and Johnson himself refused to run for re-election in 1968.

I don't know too much about the Russia/Ukraine scenario, but I do know that Ukraine has been part of Russia for hundreds of years. Ukraine is rich in natural resources, while the Ukranian people (with 99.8% literacy) are among the poorest in the world.

Would the Ukranians, now tolerating a corrupt government, be worse off, the same, or better off is that corrupt government disappeared, and Russia (or just about anybody else) were to talk over in Ukraine ? Is Russia going to be fighting the Ukranian PEOPLE, or just a Ukrainan GOVERNMENT, that represents not much more than a wealthy plutocracy of a small number of Ukrainians ?

In any case, Russia is currently going into Ukraine (a non-NATO country), so what business is it of Joe Biden or the US government to be involved in this, with sanctions, troops, or in whatever way ? Do we really understand this whole thing ?

Ukraine is a NATO partner nation. They are a sovereign nation. Hell, our fucking gov't is corrupt. Do we not deserve protection from invasion?

IF we could have prevented this, the stock market wouldn't be tanking and MAYBE we could keep gas below 5 dollars a gallon. But thanks to Biden's incompetency it'll hit that and beyond.

Putin and his government are criminals and murderers BUT... if he or Xi or anyone else tried to stage advanced weapons and troop formations on the U.S. border, we would fight. I'm all for sending Ukrainians weapons and medical supplies as well as intel on Russian positions but no American should bleed for that nation. It's time to take our troops out of Germany and redistribute them to Poland, Romania, the Czech Republic, and other eastern European countries so that he KNOWS he will have one hell of a fight when he tries this again. And he WILL do this again.

Every Democrat has been on TV the last few weeks telling us what a thug Putin is and how precious “democracy” is in Ukraine.

Weird how they never use this language when talking about Communist China.

When will we see sanctions against China?

Oh yea, never. Because “democracy” .....I mean “Free Trade”.

Would the Ukranians, now tolerating a corrupt government, be worse off, the same, or better off if that corrupt government disappeared, and Russia (or just about anybody else) were to talk over in Ukraine ? Is Russia going to be fighting the Ukranian PEOPLE, or just a Ukrainan GOVERNMENT, that represents not much more than a wealthy plutocracy of a small number of Ukrainians ?

Americans have spent too many sons (and daughters) on adventurist wars thousands of miles offshore. There's no reason in hell or high water for us (America) to confront Russia militarily at this stage. I mean, supposing Biden and NATO declare war on Russia what would that even look like? A conventional war? A limited nuclear exchange on the ground with small battlefield nuclear munitions? To what end? To drive the Russians out of Ukraine? What then? The only justification for engaging Russia directly would be something like Russian forces driving into Poland or some other proper Eastern European nation. To answer your question, no, I do not believe the American people feel anything close to a sufficient affinity with the Ukrainians to volunteer up their sons and daughters to the slaughter. War between First World armies looks a hell of a lot worse these days than in the 1940's. The death toll from any such war would be staggering.

Putin and his government are criminals and murderers BUT... if he or Xi or anyone else tried to stage advanced weapons and troop formations on the U.S. border, we would fight. I'm all for sending Ukrainians weapons and medical supplies as well as intel on Russian positions but no American should bleed for that nation. It's time to take our troops out of Germany and redistribute them to Poland, Romania, the Czech Republic, and other eastern European countries so that he KNOWS he will have one hell of a fight when he tries this again. And he WILL do this again.
Or is Putin on a rescue mission -on behalf of the Ukranian people ? (while at the same time absorbing the benefit of Ukrainian resources)

I sense that anti-Russia echos from American (mostly Democrat) media are what's driving American opinion, which I sense is not equipped to exactly have an opinion.

So is our government, in fact our government is the most corrupt enterprise in human history, bar none! In this matter, Putin largely wears the white hat, fascist democrats, and fascist rinos, have scapegoated Russia, and Putin mercilessly for the last seven years, slandering them and our lawful president incessantly, and so egregiously, so wrongfully, I believe to even begin search for a corresponding historical precedents we have to go back, way way back in human history, all the way back to ancient Rome, and the rule of Rome under Nero, or Caligula, to discover naked decadence so equally brazen!

I completely concur with your thoughts, importantly we need not speculate about what we might do, as we did discover Russian ballistic missiles, in communist Cuba, and we did come within a cubic centimeter of a full blown nuclear war with them over the matter! Back then, the US had a real president, and a loyal, proud to be an American government, unfortunately we do not have any such thing tonight, we have a psychopath, and two houses of the congress, all of whom are totally sold out to the highest foreign bidder, every fucking one of them! Biden is far more evil than Putin, Biden is a psychopath, his only concerns are about himself....

Wow dude. Russia is invading another country by force. This is not a “what’s better for the people” question. This is not how things should be done and the world should stand on the side of simply what’s right.

So is our government, in fact our government is the most corrupt enterprise in human history, bar none! In this matter, Putin largely wears the white hat, fascist democrats, and fascist rinos, have scapegoated Russia, and Putin mercilessly for the last seven years, slandering them and our lawful president incessantly, and so egregiously, so wrongfully, I believe to even begin search for a corresponding historical precedents we have to go back, way way back in human history, all the way back to ancient Rome, and the rule of Rome under Nero, or Caligula, to discover naked decadence so equally brazen!

I completely concur with your thoughts, importantly we need not speculate about what we might do, as we did discover Russian ballistic missiles, in communist Cuba, and we did come within a cubic centimeter of a full blown nuclear war with them over the matter! Back then, the US had a real president, and a loyal, proud to be an American government, unfortunately we do not have any such thing tonight, we have a psychopath, and two houses of the congress, all of whom are totally sold out to the highest foreign bidder, every fucking one of them! Biden is far more evil than Putin, Biden is a psychopath, his only concerns are about himself....
The Great Reset seems to be going to happen whether we like it or not.

Wow dude. Russia is invading another country by force. This is not a “what’s better for the people” question. This is not how things should be done and the world should stand on the side of simply what’s right.
And the QUESTION is WHAT is "right" ?..... and how is that to be determined ? If you would address the points raised in the OP, you might have a more substantial post.

And what if this invasion of "another country" is good for the people of that country ?
Do you think you know enough about this, to be able to be making a value judgement ?

I can only say what I would do if I were the president and suggest it to other nations that would fall in line with the idea.
1. Send in 10,000 troops, munitions, aircraft and tanks and position them along the border with the Ukrainian troops, then have the Ukrainian units put up their flag, with ours next to it, showing that our personnel were there.
2. Get the other nations to do the same (put in troops, munitions et cetera).
The Russians seeing multi-nations flags, would highly likely rethink their idea of invading, knowing that attacking the troops of other nations would generate a larger scale war.

Americans are done with this NOW. Wait until the $7/gallon gas and skyrocketing groceries kick in, and Peppermint Patty Spokesperson tells us hey, you have to suffer for the Ukraine Democracy. While we never gave a crap about your closed schools, open borders, economy, inflation.

This will not work. Believe it.

I can only say what I would do if I were the president and suggest it to other nations that would fall in line with the idea.
1. Send in 10,000 troops, munitions, aircraft and tanks and position them along the border with the Ukrainian troops, then have the Ukrainian units put up their flag, with ours next to it, showing that our personnel were there.
2. Get the other nations to do the same (put in troops, munitions et cetera).
The Russians seeing multi-nations flags, would highly likely rethink their idea of invading, knowing that attacking the troops of other nations would generate a larger scale war.
WHY do make you these suggestions ?

Do You Know Enough About Russia/Ukraine to Support US Involvement ?​

It's a gamble, but then again, if you just sit back and watch bullies beat others, without stepping in, in some fashion, the bullies will just be emboldened and go after others.
Have you thought this through ? What if the "bullies" are the Ukranian government, and the victims of the bullying are the Ukranian people ? And a Russia takeover might stop that bullying ?

Do You Know Enough About Russia/Ukraine to Support US Involvement ?​

Forum List

Back