Do Congressmen serve the people, or their party?

ask why

Rookie
Feb 27, 2017
WHY? Watching the speech made by President Trump, did I see a divided room as always.
Even a divide while honoring special guest.

When will congress work for the people that voted them in office, to debate and reach a decision on issues before them. To sit through the speech looking unconcerned on what the President is saying. You could see and feel the separation. No unity in direction.

I voted for Trump because I felt he would attack issues the way he, and his staff, feel they should be, and would't care what opposition thinks or says of him. A man like this I felt was needed to remove the business as usual. Trump has a board room style and was not a politician. Hopefully he succeeds in Making America Great Again by unifying America, Made in America, by Americans.

they have obligations to both-----more or less------have some compassion

Going by their approval rate, the party.
Going by the actions, the party/other countries/corporations
Going by their re-election rate, you would think they personally suck off each and every one of us :dunno:

Trump has the right plan for government. Something tells me many congressmen are not going to like it.

He's for term limits and banning lobbying. (which is what's wrong with Washington)

I can only hope he succeeds; the people should be backing him 100%. All of us, D or R, it doesn't matter when it comes to that.

Most likely it will wind up around high 80-ish percent. There's always a "special" few.

Trump has the right plan for government. Something tells me many congressmen are not going to like it.

He's for term limits and banning lobbying. (which is what's wrong with Washington)

I can only hope he succeeds; the people should be backing him 100%. All of us, D or R, it doesn't matter when it comes to that.

Most likely it will wind up around high 80-ish percent. There's always a "special" few.

I agree! I hope President Trump and his team, push forward with his reforms. I hoped he would be able to perform in office, it is not a board room.

Most serve the party not us,& go where the money is.

Believed to be a fact. I hope President can get Congress back to working for the people. His proposal on terms and lobbyist is a start.

they have obligations to both-----more or less------have some compassion
Compassion! Contempt! Screw the party lines and pay attention to the actions their voters ask them to do. At least think for themselves, what is best in their opinion, for the country. Why not take action on over spending, jobs leaving US for global presents, anything positive, pro or con. Just do not follow the first cow in line. We need people of action, and citizen to demand they do their job.

Most are Vote Whores.

Most will do and say whatever is most likely to get them into and keep them in power.

Most are loyal - in the final analysis - only to themsevles.

Most will throw either their Constituency or their Party under the bus if the situation calls for it.

But, in the main, most seem to be more loyal to their Party than they are to their Constituents..

Time for that to change.

Last edited:
Because you need a party behind you to effect change in our system?

Splitting the governance of the country at the federal level generally just means stagnation. It's only when one party controls most of the federal government that they can actually get anything done and move with the swiftness of a more authoritarian state.

Part of joining a political part is an acknowledgement you'd prefer to see them than the other guys in power. . .

Easy to make an argument for partisanship for the people when you don't think the other parties platform is good for the country.

They are supposed to and claim to serve the people. They don't give one shit for them though.

They serve the party first and foremost. The party serves itself and its corporate interests.

They are supposed to and claim to serve the people. They don't give one shit for them though.

They serve the party first and foremost. The party serves itself and its corporate interests.

About that. Trump's already done something to help alleviate one part of that problem.

He's barred ex-politicians from becoming lobbyists until 5 years after they leave gov't.

That is huge because they will lose contacts and not be able to be as "influential" as when they leave office and immediately go to "bribing" I mean "lobbying".

Not sure if he did that by EO. If it was by EO, there needs to be a bill run through Congress to make it lasting.

About that. Trump's already done something to help alleviate one part of that problem.

He's barred ex-politicians from becoming lobbyists until 5 years after they leave gov't.

That is huge because they will lose contacts and not be able to be as "influential" as when they leave office and immediately go to "bribing" I mean "lobbying".
I do not think the change will do squat. The money will find its way to the politicians. The real change that is needed is to take away the power to choose the winners and losers in the market. That money would dry up really fast then.

Namely, special tax provisions that benefit one company over another need to disappear.

I do not think the change will do squat. The money will find its way to the politicians. The real change that is needed is to take away the power to choose the winners and losers in the market. That money would dry up really fast then.

Namely, special tax provisions that benefit one company over another need to disappear.

There's more to it than though. The immunity from insider trading laws needs to stop. In reality Lobbying should be outlawed altogether and prosecuted for the bribery that iit is.

This started in Carter's administration. Bad Congress pushed some bill through, Carter vetoed it but they overrode him.

The really bad one was Reagan's 2nd Congress. That's when they voted themselves all kinds of perks and goodies and paved the way for the people to really not get represented.

WHY? Watching the speech made by President Trump, did I see a divided room as always.
Even a divide while honoring special guest.

When will congress work for the people that voted them in office, to debate and reach a decision on issues before them. To sit through the speech looking unconcerned on what the President is saying. You could see and feel the separation. No unity in direction.

I voted for Trump because I felt he would attack issues the way he, and his staff, feel they should be, and would't care what opposition thinks or says of him. A man like this I felt was needed to remove the business as usual. Trump has a board room style and was not a politician. Hopefully he succeeds in Making America Great Again by unifying America, Made in America, by Americans.

1)special interest that has them in their pocket
2)their opinions based on thinking they know what's best or what will make them popular or help re-election (in some ways people)
3)party
4)people

There's more to it than though. The immunity from insider trading laws needs to stop. In reality Lobbying should be outlawed altogether and prosecuted for the bribery that iit is.

This started in Carter's administration. Bad Congress pushed some bill through, Carter vetoed it but they overrode him.

The really bad one was Reagan's 2nd Congress. That's when they voted themselves all kinds of perks and goodies and paved the way for the people to really not get represented.
As I said, I do not think making lobbying illegal will do anything - the companies will still pay them off because of the huge sums of money involved though I would not be against it. I just do not see it as being effective.

Have to agree wholeheartedly on insider trading. The fact that the people have excepted congress exempting themselves from those laws is amazing to me. No congressman should be allowed to invest in anything whatsoever - nothing - during their service and a long time after. Personally, I think that we should increase what they make and then essentially make it illegal for them to gain money by any other means.

Forum List

Back