Do smokers cost society money?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Survey says: "NO"

Do smokers cost society money? - USATODAY.com

However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.

Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.

"It looks unpleasant or ghoulish to look at the cost savings as well as the cost increases and it's not a good thing that smoking kills people," Viscusi said in an interview. "But if you're going to follow this health-cost train all the way, you have to take into account all the effects, not just the ones you like in terms of getting your bill passed."

Viscusi worked as a litigation expert for the tobacco industry in lawsuits by states but said that his research, which has been published in peer-reviewed journals, has never been funded by industry.

The cost savings is they kick off 10 years earlier than a non-smoker--that is if you just kick off. Most of the time smoking involves other related diseases that are expensive medically to treat-often taking years to treat---and smokers get treated for cancer--lung disease--and an assortment of other chronic conditions related to smoking that is extremely expensive--and then years later they die.

It looks to me that non smokers are the ones who die young. All my non smoking friends are long dead.

If smokers save the government money, why isn't the government encouraging people to smok?

If smokers save the government money, why isn't the government encouraging people to smok?

actually they do. the government makes more money off a pack of cigarettes than tobacco companies do. government is starting to ban healthier e cigarettes, where you inhale water vapor. they do this claming it is for our health benefit too. the real reason is if people smoke the healthier alternative, government does not get their tax cut.

actually they do. the government makes more money off a pack of cigarettes than tobacco companies do. government is starting to ban healthier e cigarettes, where you inhale water vapor. they do this claming it is for our health benefit too. the real reason is if people smoke the healthier alternative, government does not get their tax cut.

A spokesperson for CVS pharmacy stated yesterday they stand to lose 2 billion in revenue each year by not selling tobacco products in any form. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

A spokesperson for CVS pharmacy stated yesterday they stand to lose 2 billion in revenue each year by not selling tobacco products in any form. :(

they will lose more than that because the smoker will no longer be picking up their incidentals at CVS. they will get their toothpase, deodorant what ever at walgreens when they are picking up their smokes

they will lose more than that because the smoker will no longer be picking up their incidentals at CVS. they will get their toothpase, deodorant what ever at walgreens when they are picking up their smokes

That's a sad truth....

Gives weight to their statement that they're doing it for the health of their customers.

Good for them.

And, e cigs are not all that "healthy".

The cost savings is they kick off 10 years earlier than a non-smoker--that is if you just kick off. Most of the time smoking involves other related diseases that are expensive medically to treat-often taking years to treat---and smokers get treated for cancer--lung disease--and an assortment of other chronic conditions related to smoking that is extremely expensive--and then years later they die.

Of course oreo knows so much more than Vanderbilt researchers! LMAO. I needed a good laugh this morning.

Actually it does, through subsidies to farmers who grow tobacco, tax breaks for the companies who sell cigs, etc. I posted this because CVS decided not to sell cigs, not because the government has outlawed them. I know a lot of people who started smoking in the military because smokers got a 5 minute break every hour and non smokers did not.

Currently, the VA has an admirable effort going to get veterans to stop smoking, but the government still rewards growers, sellers, and buyers because it reaps large returns in taxes.

LOL. That is the specialty pharmacy that my insurance company contracts with. At $100K/year for just one of my medicines, it sure feels like they make it up somewhere.

No one in their right mind buys those things at a pharmacy anyway. It is much cheaper to go to Wally World.

I rarely even go in a drug store. I get my PH meds and supplies through the specialty pharmacy and everything else through the mail out pharmacy in 90 day increments. The only time I set foot in a pharmacy is when I cut ordering a refill too short and have to get a 2 week supply of something to get by. And then I don't shop, I just go through the drive through.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back