Do You Like Eating the Poison Sodium Benzoate?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
It is in most of our food and is a known poison.

The Ingredient That Was Banned From Rubber Making in the U.S. After Causing Leukemia in Workers is Still in Your Food

One of the dirty secrets of the soft drink and processed food industries is sodium benzoate. It is a benzene compound that is produced by mixing benzoic acid with sodium hydroxide. It is a common preservative in processed foods and soft drinks. It has been associated with a vast array of health problems, including all of our major epidemics. Sodium benzoate is considerably more toxic than either processed sugar or high fructose corn syrup, yet it gets very little media coverage. It is a bona fide poison. Outside of our foods, benzene is the main ingredient of Liquid Wrench, various paint stripper products, rubber cements, and spot removers, due it its highly destructive and solvent qualities. It was discontinued in rubber manufacture in the U.S. because it caused a large percentage of workers to get leukemia.

Countries throughout Europe have been pressuring the food industry to voluntarily remove sodium benzoate from products, before more aggressive action is taken. Several European media outlets have called for an absolute ban on this toxic preservative due to concerns about children’s developmental safety. The U.S. Government and media have remained disturbingly silent. As usual, there have been no studies in the U.S. about the chemical’s effects upon children, but it is studied elsewhere. The chemical industry in the United States is well protected, and studying its effects upon children in the United States would be career suicide for any researcher, as has happened with many researchers of fluoride. Meanwhile, thousands of children are dying of leukemia.​

My guess is that people like the taste. Since I avoid soft drinks and processed food that's about all I can say on the subject.

Well nothing provides a more alluring almond scent than Potassium cyanide or so I am told. Those wonderful solar panels made with Gallium Arsenide must will ruin insurance rates soon.

The Ingredient That Was Banned From Rubber Making in the U.S. After Causing Leukemia in Workers is Still in Your Food

One of the dirty secrets of the soft drink and processed food industries is sodium benzoate. It is a benzene compound that is produced by mixing benzoic acid with sodium hydroxide. It is a common preservative in processed foods and soft drinks. It has been associated with a vast array of health problems, including all of our major epidemics. Sodium benzoate is considerably more toxic than either processed sugar or high fructose corn syrup, yet it gets very little media coverage. It is a bona fide poison. Outside of our foods, benzene is the main ingredient of Liquid Wrench, various paint stripper products, rubber cements, and spot removers, due it its highly destructive and solvent qualities. It was discontinued in rubber manufacture in the U.S. because it caused a large percentage of workers to get leukemia.

Countries throughout Europe have been pressuring the food industry to voluntarily remove sodium benzoate from products, before more aggressive action is taken. Several European media outlets have called for an absolute ban on this toxic preservative due to concerns about children’s developmental safety. The U.S. Government and media have remained disturbingly silent. As usual, there have been no studies in the U.S. about the chemical’s effects upon children, but it is studied elsewhere. The chemical industry in the United States is well protected, and studying its effects upon children in the United States would be career suicide for any researcher, as has happened with many researchers of fluoride. Meanwhile, thousands of children are dying of leukemia.​

There are thousands of poisons you are exposed to everyday, just in your own home. Should they all be banned?

My direct answer to the title question is, "No, not that I'm aware of." I don't believe I have any idea of sodium benzoate's flavor or flavor impact, so there's no way I can tell you accurately whether I like eating foods containing it.
It is a common preservative in processed foods and soft drinks.
For the most part, I don't eat processed foods or drink much other than booze, water, tea (this is by far my most frequently consumed beverage), and freshly made juices. I just prefer foods and drinks "made from scratch." Avoiding sodium benzoate isn't the reason because I wasn't aware of its presence, or to what extent, in foods. I didn't grow up eating foods that "came from a box" and I never commenced to eat much that is. It may be that I cannot and haven't a diet that is completely or predominantly free of sodium benzoate

From the article:
"There are also the older techniques of using vinegar, salt, and smoking; which actually improve flavor."
  • ??? That'd be a very subjective assertion. Those techniques only improve the flavor in the minds and taste buds of people who like how vinegar, salt and smoke alter the natural flavor of the items thus treated.
"Perhaps the organic form occurs with its own biological neutralizers, as is frequently the case with organically-occurring food toxins, or the organic form is somehow different from the sodium benzoate that is made in chemical laboratories."
  • That is something that one would want a clearer and more decisive discussion about, for such answer may well lead to discovering a way to "neutralize" sodium benzoate's impact on the human body while also retaining its preservative benefits. At the very least, Corriher could have included discussion and links to research into finding the answer, or attested to there being no such research conducted.

My thoughts about the article:
While the article is informative and makes a decent case for there being value in one's undertaking to learn more about the presence of it in foods as well as the chemical properties, interactions and impacts of it being there -- as always, I believe that "trust, but verify" is one's best course whenever new information comes my way -- the article would have been a lot better were it to, in addition to making the broad generalization of "processed foods and soft drinks," enumerate specific foods that contain sodium benzoate.

That omission, along with the one about the nature and extent of ongoing research into overcoming the problem sends up "red flags" in my mind. What do they signal? I don't know yet. What I know is that the subject in that article is presented in a demagogic manner rather than a comprehensively objective informative one. When I see writings that omit simple factual details such as the two I noted, I begin to question on what "soapbox" the author stood when writing it. Sometimes, the omission is merely a compositional failing and in other instances, it's not. I don't know which is the case re: the article the OP-er cited because I've not yet looked further into the matter.​

There'll be a lot more of that, thanks to Trump.

anyone got anything more concrete on SODIUM BENZOATE other than
"I think it is poison" ------benzene is something like the basic building block of
organic chemicals--------but it is known to be absorbed thru the skin-----and----
what I recall from many decades ago was that chronic exposure can cause
liver damage. I know nothing about the hydroxylated form BENZOATE.
MATT? got anything on sodium benzoate?

Sorry Jim I was just trying to make a point about dosage as in Arsenic and Gold are essential minerals but in doses so low that they do not need supplementation except for interplanetary trips.

Wonder how long before they believe human fetal cells are used for pepsi flavoring. Of course that isn't the term used, but if you use the scientific term 95% of the population hasn't got a clue wtf it even means. That's why they use the name they do.

How long will it take before they believe rice contains plastic................

How long before people believe that FAKE SUGAR they eat is created from shit. Better known as Aspartame.

The US is the dumping ground for all the chit other Countries do not want. Because they semi take care of their own and don't have as many government sucks ups to use as their only form of " Trust what is safe" ...hence FDA, EPS, all the medical Gods tell them don't worry eat it , drink it it's all good.

Forum List

Back