Doctor/patient relationships and politics

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
It is strange how the same people that insist the government has no business in the doctor/patient relationship insist that it does.

New Jersey has become the second state (California being the first) to ban so-called “conversion therapy” for those under 18:
“Ex-gay” conversion is widely discredited and refuted by major mainstream psychological groups, such as American Psychological Association. In June, the largest ex-gay group, Exodus International, closed its doors after its executive director Alan Chambers issued an apology acknowledging “the pain and hurt others have experienced” through failed attempts at conversion therapy.
Troy Stevenson, executive director of New Jersey’s LGBT group Garden State Equality, commended Christie for signing the legislation, citing the harm “ex-gay” therapy can cause.
“There is no greater achievement than helping to stop the abuse of our youth,” Stevenson said. “Today’s SOCE ban will do just that. It will protect young people from being abused by those they should trust the most, their parents and their “doctors.”

neo-neocon » Blog Archive » New Jersey ban on conversion therapy for gay youths

“Ex-gay” conversion is widely discredited and refuted by major mainstream psychological groups, such as American Psychological Association. In June, the largest ex-gay group, Exodus International, closed its doors after its executive director Alan Chambers issued an apology acknowledging “the pain and hurt others have experienced” through failed attempts at conversion therapy.

Unlike ‘conversion therapy,’ abortion is a safe, well-established medical procedure offering little risk to the patient.

The states have both the authority and responsibility to prohibit quackery such as ‘conversion therapy,’ which is no different than using leaches or bleeding as a ‘treatment’ for illness.

Consequently, there is nothing inconsistent about the measure, there is no interference on the part of the state with the doctor/patient relationship, as doctors may not administer treatment that is acknowledged to be unsafe and discredited by the medical community, and the OP’s premise fails accordingly.

By a Dr.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnY8r7_fLw]Obamacare Summed Up in One Sentence - YouTube[/ame]

It's the same as a pro choicer demanding the government to say out of her vagina, then demanding that they take action to protect her choice to allow them to exercise their ability to insert themselves there. Some people have no clue what they are thinking.

I don't know if it made sense to you, but it sure as heck didn't to me.

Unlike ‘conversion therapy,’ abortion is a safe, well-established medical procedure offering little risk to the patient.

The states have both the authority and responsibility to prohibit quackery such as ‘conversion therapy,’ which is no different than using leaches or bleeding as a ‘treatment’ for illness.

Consequently, there is nothing inconsistent about the measure, there is no interference on the part of the state with the doctor/patient relationship, as doctors may not administer treatment that is acknowledged to be unsafe and discredited by the medical community, and the OP’s premise fails accordingly.

Unlike you, I think consistency counts more than being PC.

It is strange how the same people that insist the government has no business in the doctor/patient relationship insist that it does.

New Jersey has become the second state (California being the first) to ban so-called “conversion therapy” for those under 18:
Troy Stevenson, executive director of New Jersey’s LGBT group Garden State Equality, commended Christie for signing the legislation, citing the harm “ex-gay” therapy can cause.
“There is no greater achievement than helping to stop the abuse of our youth,” Stevenson said. “Today’s SOCE ban will do just that. It will protect young people from being abused by those they should trust the most, their parents and their “doctors.”

The ban is limited to minors, which I am totally okay with. Such therapy has not proven to be efficacious, and may actually do harm.

However, if an adult wants to pay good money for conversion therapy, go right ahead. That is not banned in NJ.

If you want to pay someone to whip you like a puppy, go right ahead. But I would ban that for minors, too.

The "doctor/patient relationship" should only extend to proven, legitimate medical sciences. Conversion therapy isn't one.

The ban is limited to minors, which I am totally okay with. Such therapy has not proven to be efficacious, and may actually do harm.

However, if an adult wants to pay good money for conversion therapy, go right ahead. That is not banned in NJ.

If you want to pay someone to whip you like a puppy, go right ahead. But I would ban that for minors, too.

I already knew it would be fine with you, it is the government doing something you like.

Where are the parents in this "whipping"? isn't there NJ laws that hold parents responsible for child endangerment?
And where is the law on child abuse?
Wouldn't the people doing the whipping also be charged with assault felony charges?

Why does it take MORE LAWS to cover existing causes?

I already knew it would be fine with you, it is the government doing something you like.

Way to duck right past the minor/adult issue.

Way to duck right past the minor/adult issue.

No I didn't.

There are no legitimate doctors practicing this.

This about protecting the public from con-men and frauds praying of the fears and prejudices of parents.

This about protecting the public from con-men and frauds praying of the fears and prejudices of parents.

There are no legitimate doctors in psychology, why not just ban the entire field?

While I agree with what you are saying on the whole, don't place bleeding in the quackery category. Bleeding is what saved my life. Blood letting does a great deal of good for a few different diseases including Polycythemia and Hemochromatosis.

There are no legitimate doctors in psychology, why not just ban the entire field?

Actually, you're both kinda wrong.

The title "doctor" is not limited to MDs, and to be a "psychologist" you need a PhD - which also confers the title of "doctor".

Forum List

Back