Does anyone else have an electric bicycle?

This is the one I've been seriously considering:

Dual motor (can select one or all wheel drive)
Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph
Its not allowed on sidewalks, just so you know. That is a Class 3 E-bike. I think there are better class 3 e-bikes in that price range. You can get some REALLY good used E Bikes in that price range too.

Last edited:

Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph
Its not allowed on sidewalks, just so you know. That is a Class 3 E-bike. I think there are better class 3 e-bikes in that price range. You can get some REALLY good used E Bikes in that price range too.

After watching that video of the Rad Rover, I have to admit, I'm now considering one of those. And your testimonial helps as well.

I recently discovered these, even though they have been around for years apparently. I live in an area with a lot of hills, so i have stayed away from bikes because, who wants to walk their bike up every hill? Im 47 and not interested in blowing out my legs, or even conditioning them to a point to where i can pedal like a tour de france rider. Fuck that.

Electric bikes fix that issue. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. The bike i bought is a Rad Rover 5. It not only has pedal assist, it also has a throttle so you dont ever have to pedal if you dont want to. On just throttle alone, this bike will do 20+ miles on a single charge, or 45+ if you assist with pedaling. It'll do between 20-25 mph on throttle alone, and even faster if you assist by pedaling.

Pedal assist is the shit! On its max setting (pedal assist 5) the bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Class 2 E-bikes are allowed (legally) anywhere bicycles are allowed, including sidewalks. You can take these electric fat tire bikes offroad too. Check out this short video. These things are friggin quick!

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

just pedaling that bike on the flats is going to be more difficult because it's heavier so your legs will still get a workout

I recently discovered these, even though they have been around for years apparently. I live in an area with a lot of hills, so i have stayed away from bikes because, who wants to walk their bike up every hill? Im 47 and not interested in blowing out my legs, or even conditioning them to a point to where i can pedal like a tour de france rider. Fuck that.

Electric bikes fix that issue. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. The bike i bought is a Rad Rover 5. It not only has pedal assist, it also has a throttle so you dont ever have to pedal if you dont want to. On just throttle alone, this bike will do 20+ miles on a single charge, or 45+ if you assist with pedaling. It'll do between 20-25 mph on throttle alone, and even faster if you assist by pedaling.

Pedal assist is the shit! On its max setting (pedal assist 5) the bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Class 2 E-bikes are allowed (legally) anywhere bicycles are allowed, including sidewalks. You can take these electric fat tire bikes offroad too. Check out this short video. These things are friggin quick!

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

just pedaling that bike on the flats is going to be more difficult because it's heavier so your legs will still get a workout

If the battery still has juice in it and you put the bike on "pedal assist 5", you are never struggling to pedal it, but if you want a workout you can dial it down to a lower setting.

Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph

After watching that video of the Rad Rover, I have to admit, I'm now considering one of those. And your testimonial helps as well.
Because Rad Power Bikes is one of the most popular ebikes in the world, there are a lot of aftermarket parts for it. You can significantly speed up the bikes accelerration with after market batteries, motors and controllers. There is a guy on youtube named "Citizen Cycle" who has upgraded EVERYTHING on his bike and he makes videos that show how well each upgrade performs.

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

Just get a motorcycle.

Citizen Cycle has fully upgraded his Rad Rad Rover to a preposterous level.

I built two from front wheels and batteries bought on the 'web. The first was for my wife. I adapted a step-through MTB frame for solidity. She loved it right away for her commute to work. So, I decided to build one for myself just for fun. Bought a vintage MTB and repeated what was done on the first bike. We both have other bicycles and the electrics are not the only ones we use, but they are quite nice and very effective. Both can do over 30kph on the flat and climb hills easily even if not pedaled. I find the only difference is that I ride further when I go for a casual ride, pedaling about the same but covering more 'klics'. One thing that is really useful is that doing the shopping and carrying heavy panniers becomes virtually effortless.

Over this past weekend I ordered a Himiway fat-tire cruiser for about $1,500. I looked on Youtube for comparisons with the Rad Rover5, and the Himiway seemed to come out better, and it comes with more stuff (lights, rack, fenders). I also ordered a kickstand and mirrors.

There have been some complaints about the durability of the Kenda tires, although people like their performance on and off road. That seems to the the tire that the cheaper E-bikes favor. Looking around for better replacements (I know this is premature), I am wondering if there is any reason not to just buy the best 26x4 tires around...does it make any difference that it is an e-bike and will weigh 250 lbs or so under normal circumstances?

I'm anticipating that transporting the bike, when necessary, might have some issues. My bike rack is rated at 100 lbs - I assume with a margin of error - but 70 lbs is still a lot of weight to be loading on a conventional rack. Plan B might be to adapt a Harbor Freight basket-carrier to carry a couple of e-bikes. They are rated for 500 lbs.

Can't wait.

Good luck and have fun.
As a bicycle enthusiast and professional mechanic over a period of fifty years +, four inch wide tires seem like great overkill. They have a lot more rolling resistance and make more noise than necessary. My electrics run on 2.25s and have no problem whatsoever. Plus there are enormous choices of make and tread. You've made your choice and I don't wish to rain on your parade, though. Let us know how it works for you.

Got my Himiway fat tire electric cruiser yesterday. Assembly took a couple of leisurely hours. The assembly instructions had a few omissions but nothing significant. Same for the owner's manual, but the few questions I had were quickly resolved on the owner's group's facebook page.

The bike is a beast, and with its 4" fat tires it does take a lot of energy to propel the bike. My default value, at least initially, will be to propel the bike myself, then when needed I will use one of the two different styles of throttle. It seems to me that it can take any hill with no problem, especially when using the lower gears.

I suppose I should do a "top speed" run at some point to see how fast I can comfortably go on level ground. There is essentially none of that near me.

Transporting it will be a challenge. My bike rack, while theoretically rated at 150 pounds would not comfortably take this 75 pound monster. WalMart has a bike rack that will supposedly take two bikes with 4" tires and can handle the weight, for about $150. I am also considering modifying my Harbor Freight cargo box for this bike and possibly another one for my wife.

No regrets. Yet.

Got my Himiway fat tire electric cruiser yesterday. Assembly took a couple of leisurely hours. The assembly instructions had a few omissions but nothing significant. Same for the owner's manual, but the few questions I had were quickly resolved on the owner's group's facebook page.

The bike is a beast, and with its 4" fat tires it does take a lot of energy to propel the bike. My default value, at least initially, will be to propel the bike myself, then when needed I will use one of the two different styles of throttle. It seems to me that it can take any hill with no problem, especially when using the lower gears.

I suppose I should do a "top speed" run at some point to see how fast I can comfortably go on level ground. There is essentially none of that near me.

Transporting it will be a challenge. My bike rack, while theoretically rated at 150 pounds would not comfortably take this 75 pound monster. WalMart has a bike rack that will supposedly take two bikes with 4" tires and can handle the weight, for about $150. I am also considering modifying my Harbor Freight cargo box for this bike and possibly another one for my wife.

No regrets. Yet.
Enjoy!

No regrets. Yet.
Enjoy!
Yeah, i still ride my E-bike regularly, even after 6 months. Its too much fun to ignore!

Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph

Because Rad Power Bikes is one of the most popular ebikes in the world, there are a lot of aftermarket parts for it. You can significantly speed up the bikes accelerration with after market batteries, motors and controllers. There is a guy on youtube named "Citizen Cycle" who has upgraded EVERYTHING on his bike and he makes videos that show how well each upgrade performs.
I just got an electra bike. My friends have $1500 ones and a $5000 one. One $3000. I decided to get a $1500 one. The only thing is it won’t have a throttle. You have to peddle.

Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph

I just got an electra bike. My friends have $1500 ones and a $5000 one. One $3000. I decided to get a $1500 one. The only thing is it won’t have a throttle. You have to peddle.
Having an accelerator is nice and I don't agree with the restriction on this. The ones I put together have throttles and can be ridden with as much or as little assistance as desired. Including purchase of used mountain bikes as 'donors', they cost under $500 each, have pure electric range of about 50 km and go as fast as 35 kph without pedaling. They don't look as nice as the commercial bikes, but, then, they aren't as attractive to thieves, either. My wife loves hers for the commute to work.

Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph

That throttle sure is nice though!

Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph

Having an accelerator is nice and I don't agree with the restriction on this. The ones I put together have throttles and can be ridden with as much or as little assistance as desired. Including purchase of used mountain bikes as 'donors', they cost under $500 each, have pure electric range of about 50 km and go as fast as 35 kph without pedaling. They don't look as nice as the commercial bikes, but, then, they aren't as attractive to thieves, either. My wife loves hers for the commute to work.

Attachments

• DFC43457-6AD1-4E0D-A88B-5BEE6DB25A60.jpeg
    DFC43457-6AD1-4E0D-A88B-5BEE6DB25A60.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 31

Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph

That throttle sure is nice though!
See the green bike? That’s what I got only white

Forum List

Back