Does anyone else have an electric bicycle?

I love to cycle. The wife used to, but not so much anymore. So, I’m planning to buy an electric bike for her. Not sure I want to drop $1k or more, but probably will.

I have one, one major issue is, if it needs to be fixed you better be tech savvy. I love mine saves me a lot of money, I would build your own, it’s cheaper and can be much faster.

Nope.

But I wanna get a bike just like this one to ride around the neighborhood in the evening. I dunno if I'll go with the daphne blue or a light seafoam green. Might put a nice basket on the front.

41-dQ1MzDFL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:
Nope.

But I wanna get a bike just like this one to ride around the neighborhood in the evening. I dunno know if Ill go with the dahne blue or a light seafoam green. Might put a nice basket on the front.

41-dQ1MzDFL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Where will you put your rainbow flag?

So I've done some checking around on various internet sites, and it seems to me that there are two alternative reasons to get an e-bike.

Some people seem to want an e-bike to ride it in the same way as they would a motor-scooter. They want to ride it to work, to the store, and so on, basically running on the electric motor most of the time. The advantage of an e-bike over a motor scooter are, you can ride on the sidewalk and other places where "motor vehicles" are prohibited, and you don't have to bother with registration, insurance, gas, and stuff like that. Also, you can get a nice e-bike for $1,500 or less.

Other people are bicyclists who want the boost of the electric motor to either add speed, or to make hills more tolerable, but expect to provide most of the power themselves. This is my thinking (I'm 71 years old). From that standpoint, it appears that the sheer weight of the e-bike is such that it would really make self-propulsion difficult, even on level ground.

If I get another stimulus check, and if I can find one of these things that's mainly made in the U.S., I'll buy one.

So I've done some checking around on various internet sites, and it seems to me that there are two alternative reasons to get an e-bike.

Some people seem to want an e-bike to ride it in the same way as they would a motor-scooter. They want to ride it to work, to the store, and so on, basically running on the electric motor most of the time. The advantage of an e-bike over a motor scooter are, you can ride on the sidewalk and other places where "motor vehicles" are prohibited, and you don't have to bother with registration, insurance, gas, and stuff like that. Also, you can get a nice e-bike for $1,500 or less.

Other people are bicyclists who want the boost of the electric motor to either add speed, or to make hills more tolerable, but expect to provide most of the power themselves. This is my thinking (I'm 71 years old). From that standpoint, it appears that the sheer weight of the e-bike is such that it would really make self-propulsion difficult, even on level ground.

If I get another stimulus check, and if I can find one of these things that's mainly made in the U.S., I'll buy one.
Ive had mine for 2 days and it is easily my favorite toy of all time. It is perfect for someone your age, or any age for that matter. Hills are absolutely not difficult, not even LOOOONG hills. When i put my bike on "pedal assist 5" (the highest setting), i dont have to work hard at all if i have it in the right gear. You can casually pedal up hills with no problem, or you could just use throttle, though you may not move very fast on throttle alone if its a steep hill. If you pedal, you can very easily do 10+ mph uphill.

Last edited:
I've seen the RadRover mentioned a few times on this thread, but when you check around there is another bike that specs out almost identically, the Himiway Fat tire cruiser. Price is within a hundred bucks, but I think the Himiway has a few accessories that the RadRover lacks (they would be extra).

Ebikes | All Terrain Fat Tire Electric Bike | Himiway Bikes$1,499.00HimiwaybikeFree shipping, no tax

Is the RadRover really made in the U.S.? If I spend my stimulus money on a bike I should at least try to keep the cash within the U.S., eh?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an e-bike, and it appears that they are being sold in huge numbers right now. Supply chains are backing up from China, which it appears is the origin for all of them - whether you are talking about whole bikes or the parts that are used to "make" them in the USA. Repair parts are very tight right now, and repairs are taking a long time, since dealers are spending a lot of time assembling new ones to meet the demand.

It appears to me that the market is saying very loudly that they want bikes under $2,000 (out the door), so THOSE bikes are selling like hotcakes, while the more expensive ones, not so much. The rush of Corona-Virus bribes will undoubtedly inject even more heat into the Spring rush for bikes.

While there appear to be several decent bikes in the $1500 range, I think I am going to go with the Aventon Level
1615297313007.png

because there is a reputable local dealer who carries them. It does not have lights as standard equipment, but it does have fenders and a cargo carrier and a trip computer, so on the whole it looks like a good starting point, for me to accessorize as I like. I think it sells for about $1500, as shown. While it is the only E-bike I have ridden, the power is quite impressive.

Again, I am already a biker, but at 71 years old I'm tired of killing myself on the long, steep hills in my area. I will get a good workout on this thing, and not have to worry about any hills on my planned route.

Yeah, the range you get from E-bikes opens up a lot of locational options that you wouldnt even consider if you were riding a normal bike. No one wants to pedal 10 miles to a mountain, then go riding up hilly mountain trails for a few hours, and then pedal their ass 10 miles to get back home. Who has the energy for that shit? Not me! :laugh:

A 40-50 mile ride on Saturday's is the normal ride distance. No mountains, but plenty of hills. People do this because they want to stay in good physical condition, an electric bike is cool though, and represents a great way to get around the neighborhood. I ride my Cervelo for exercise.

This is the one I've been seriously considering:

Dual motor (can select one or all wheel drive)
Dual battery
Dual suspension
30+ mph

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an e-bike, and it appears that they are being sold in huge numbers right now. Supply chains are backing up from China, which it appears is the origin for all of them - whether you are talking about whole bikes or the parts that are used to "make" them in the USA. Repair parts are very tight right now, and repairs are taking a long time, since dealers are spending a lot of time assembling new ones to meet the demand.

It appears to me that the market is saying very loudly that they want bikes under $2,000 (out the door), so THOSE bikes are selling like hotcakes, while the more expensive ones, not so much. The rush of Corona-Virus bribes will undoubtedly inject even more heat into the Spring rush for bikes.

Most of the top brands I'm looking at aren't shipping until late May, at the earliest. The fat tire bikes are all weather performers, though.

I've seen the RadRover mentioned a few times on this thread, but when you check around there is another bike that specs out almost identically, the Himiway Fat tire cruiser. Price is within a hundred bucks, but I think the Himiway has a few accessories that the RadRover lacks (they would be extra).

Ebikes | All Terrain Fat Tire Electric Bike | Himiway Bikes$1,499.00HimiwaybikeFree shipping, no tax

Is the RadRover really made in the U.S.? If I spend my stimulus money on a bike I should at least try to keep the cash within the U.S., eh?
Rad Rover is in Seattle. Some of the parts are made in China, but it is all assembled in Seattle. I live in the Seattle area, so thats why i went with Rad, though they make virtually every top 10 ebike list because of their quality and affordability.

While there appear to be several decent bikes in the $1500 range, I think I am going to go with the Aventon Level
View attachment 465786

because there is a reputable local dealer who carries them. It does not have lights as standard equipment, but it does have fenders and a cargo carrier and a trip computer, so on the whole it looks like a good starting point, for me to accessorize as I like. I think it sells for about $1500, as shown. While it is the only E-bike I have ridden, the power is quite impressive.

Again, I am already a biker, but at 71 years old I'm tired of killing myself on the long, steep hills in my area. I will get a good workout on this thing, and not have to worry about any hills on my planned route.
You will absolutely love it. I frequently came across positive comments about Aventons when i researched getting my bike. Ive put 500 miles on my bike and the only thing ive had to do is tighten the brakes. These dont seem to be maintenance intensive machines.

Forum List

Back