Does your God have limitations?

But the answer of no is socially constructed in this example. No could have another explanation. Again, light cannot be in dark it's impossible and it has no awareness of dark. Vice versa. Dark can't be where light is. Impossible. Neither makes one true and the other untrue. The argument is if light is powerful can it create dark? If it can't then light has limits.:dunno: seems disingenuous to ask in that way.

But the answer of no is socially constructed in this example. No could have another explanation. Again, light cannot be in dark it's impossible and it has no awareness of dark. Vice versa. Dark can't be where light is. Impossible. Neither makes one true and the other untrue. The argument is if light is powerful can it create dark? If it can't then light has limits.:dunno: seems disingenuous to ask in that way.
Light and dark isnt a proper analogy

Its like this ~ infinite power, by definition, has no limitations.

Being unable to negate itself, is a limitation.

Here we have a paradox.

That's a logical axiom, by virtue of the definition of infinite power.

Others use omnipotent.
Others say all powerful.

Regardless, it is axiomatic ~

A power it doesnt have, to negate itself, means it doesnt have all power. A tautology.

The escape from the paradox, is a God that operates outside of the laws of logic themselves. Its the only escape.

Otherwise.....The only other way to escape the paradox is to redefine "all powerful," "infinite power," etc. to lacking the ability to defy logic, therefore explaining why it doesnt have the power to negate itself.

Of course, it feels disengenuous. Thats because its frustrating to a person's logic.

How can "all powerful" exist, when it's got logical limitations (cant make a square triangle).....

The answer is, "all powerful" cannot exist in a world that operates under the laws of logic.

Logic cannot apply.

Of course its frustrating.....but its not disengenuous, in that its a legitimate problem.

This thread is nothing but a lame attempt to place limitations on God. He has none.

This thread is nothing but a lame attempt to place limitations on God. He has none.
Its not an attempt to place a limitation, in fact its to say that an all powerful God cannot be beholden to logic.

Its the exact opposite of imposing a limitation.

Yes he does, he cant resist teen girls..

The answer is, "all powerful" cannot exist in a world that operates under the laws of logic.

Of course it can. Need I remind you of the programmer analogy. He is all powerful to us electronic constructs. He wrote the code.

You even agreed with me that the programmer was all powerful. Let me know if you need the post number. :wink:

Its not an attempt to place a limitation, in fact its to say that an all powerful God cannot be beholden to logic.

Its the exact opposite of imposing a limitation.
God can't defy logic. God is logic. That's why your construct is illogical.

Light and dark isnt a proper analogy

Its like this ~ infinite power, by definition, has no limitations.

Being unable to negate itself, is a limitation.

Here we have a paradox.

That's a logical axiom, by virtue of the definition of infinite power.

Others use omnipotent.
Others say all powerful.

Regardless, it is axiomatic ~

A power it doesnt have, to negate itself, means it doesnt have all power. A tautology.

The escape from the paradox, is a God that operates outside of the laws of logic themselves. Its the only escape.

Otherwise.....The only other way to escape the paradox is to redefine "all powerful," "infinite power," etc. to lacking the ability to defy logic, therefore explaining why it doesnt have the power to negate itself.
Drifter's example of light and dark was a perfect analogy to show how disingenuous your analogy is.

Later when GT argues that God cannot exist because you admitted that omnipotence is in itself is illogical, I want you to remember your posts to me when you first responded to me. Think you can do that?

If the abrahamic god doesnt have limitations, is all knowing, why does he create failure?
He didn't. You chose that.
If he was all knowing without limitations, wouldnt he know you would fail?
That's why free will is such a funky subject. Sam Harris has an interesting take on it....also an entire book but he reiterates the thesis in so many podcasts and interviews that I dont find the inspiration to read it.

Of course, it feels disengenuous. Thats because its frustrating to a person's logic.

How can "all powerful" exist, when it's got logical limitations (cant make a square triangle).....

Logic cannot apply.

Of course its frustrating.....but its not disengenuous, in that its a legitimate problem.
If there is a concept as important as infinity to which logic can't apply, does that say something about infinity or logic?

Logic cannot apply.

If there is a concept as important as infinity to which logic can't apply, does that say something about infinity or logic?
It could mean that logic is just a local thing, I dont know....but its fun to think about

Logic cannot apply.

It could mean that logic is just a local thing, I dont know....but its fun to think about
Of course. But if logic is only applicable to certain concepts, are you saying that the concept must be wrong, not the logic?
I think logic is a useful but limited tool.

Logic cannot apply.

Of course. But if logic is only applicable to certain concepts, are you saying that the concept must be wrong, not the logic?
No, that's why it's not some attack on God as some have presumed. Its a question regarding particular folks' views on Gods...

Infinity power cannot make logical sense, it violates the law of non contradiction..(infinity power, but with a limit, is logically contradictory)...but that wasn't some attack....There were ways around the paradox that even I offered ~ right? So, to presume it's some trap was just a troll job. That's why certain folks aren't worth having amicable discussions with...

Also pretending the omnipotence paradox doesnt exist ....when its been a part of literature for hundreds of years??? That's dealing in egos, not amicable conversation. Its corny, I'm not here to "win" something...and I hate that shitty attitude.

Logic cannot apply.

No, that's why it's not some attack on God as some have presumed. Its a question regarding particular folks' views on Gods...

Infinity power cannot make logical sense, it violates the law of non contradiction..(infinity power, but with a limit, is logically contradictory)...but that wasn't some attack....There were ways around the paradox that even I offered ~ right? So, to presume it's some trap was just a troll job. That's why certain folks aren't worth having amicable discussions with...

Also pretending the omnipotence paradox doesnt exist ....when its been a part of literature for hundreds of years??? That's dealing in egos, not amicable conversation. Its corny, I'm not here to "win" something...and I hate that shitty attitude.
Ah ! That's why you call him a troll. I get it.
If infinite power does not make logical sense, does that mean infinity itself does not make sense?

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

Logic cannot apply.

Ah ! That's why you call him a troll. I get it.
If infinite power does not make logical sense, does that mean infinity itself does not make sense?
Infinity itself has been something widely discussed in both math, and philosophy. The concept makes sense right...plainly spoken it's just..."no end/limit."

But it's when the brain begins to go ahead and try to imagine what that actually looks like in the real world, it's not even conceivable by its very nature.......when something has no end, you cant even see near its end.........or even its middle....or imagine what that looks like.

On a micro-scale, the #of planets in the Universe isnt even conceivable, to us.....so where does that leave us in conceiving of infinity? It just cannot be done; however, it is useful in mathematical models and stuff.

Forum List

Back