Dogs Are Taking Over America— Enough!

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
933013-6-20130509090801.jpeg

Farhad Manjoo is not a dog person, apparently. The usually-tech-focused columnist writes on Slate that pet pooches are now running amok in previously human-only areas of society—and we're just expected to find it adorable. "Sometime in the last decade, dogs achieved dominion over urban America," he says. "They are..
[more @ Dogs Are Taking Over America? Enough! - It's time to get Fido out of the workplace, says Farhad Manjoo ]

Enjoy

Well fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Oh wait. He's doesn't like dogs so I doubt he would have the balls to get on a horse.

Never mind.

Well fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Oh wait. He's doesn't like dogs so I doubt he would have the balls to get on a horse.

Never mind.

Yeah, I agree, Claudette. Fuck him.

I am fortunate to work at a place where we are allowed to bring our dogs on the premises. We are not allowed to abuse this privilege, however, by letting our dogs bother others or pee on the floor, that sort of thing. It seems to work out okay.

Maybe the guy who brought his dobe to the gym was on the way to a vet appointment right after the gym. I don't suppose the whiny guy thought of anything like that.

Dogs don't belong it the places listed in the article (the office, restaurants, museums, buses, trains, malls, supermarkets, barber shops, banks, post offices) unless they are guide dogs/helper dogs.

Dogs don't belong it the places listed in the article (the office, restaurants, museums, buses, trains, malls, supermarkets, barber shops, banks, post offices) unless they are guide dogs/helper dogs.

In the case of many of those places, it depends who owns them. If I own a barber shop and want to have my dog there, I can. If the owner of a business allows dogs in the office, they can. Also, some malls have pet supply stores or dog training places where people are allowed to bring their dogs.

About 30 years ago I saw a restaurant refuse to allow a blind person to enter the restaurant with their seeing-eye dog. Thank God we've come a long way since then.

Last edited:

Dogs in restaurants... disgusting. St. Pete, FL started allowing dogs in the outdoor terraces of restaurants. Gross. I no longer eat at such restaurants inside or out.

Dog Friendly Restaurants in Saint Petersburg, FL, US

http://voices.yahoo.com/doggie-dining-law-61836.html

And I have seen pictures on the news where despite what the law says, people actually allow the mutts to eat off the restaurant's plates. Gotta lick those plates clean! Gross!!!

Immie

Last edited:

In the case of many of those places, it depends who owns them. If I own a barber shop and want to have my dog there, I can. If the owner of a business allows dogs in the office, they can. Also, some malls have pet supply stores or dog training places where people are allowed to bring their dogs.

About 30 years ago I saw a restaurant refuse to allow a blind person to enter the restaurant with their seeing-eye dog. Thank God we've come a long way since then.

I will grant to you that the owner has the right to make that choice. If they do, they won't have me as a customer.

Immie

When I had my stores...all dogs were welcome but I told the owners they were liable if it hiked it's leg on anything. In the years I had those stores..none ever did. Mostly they hung out with me near the register.

If someone owns a business they are certainly free to have their dog(s) there. I personally have no problem with it and always love going into stores that have their pets there. A fence company down the street have their two dogs in the office most of the time. Nice dogs -- no, they're not named post and rail although the owner did laugh when I asked. lol Local garden shop has a very, VERY fat cat than hangs in the store part.

Some people are fine with dogs being in places like this (like I am) but there are many who are not. They are free to patronize that business or not, as they see fit.

People who bring their dogs to these places of business, like the ones listed above, is what I was referring to. Unless they are some kind of helper dog, people absolutely should not be bringing their dogs into the post office or restaurants, banks, etc. Again, if the owner allows and encourages it that's one thing; most don't and people shouldn't assume that they do.

Meh, I see no reason you should bring your dog to work, out to eat, in the mall, etc etc. I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that allowed dogs, and while its a business owners right to allow pets, for many, depending on the type of business, I could see that costing the business money in the end.

I'm allergic to animals, so if someone wanted to bring their pets to work, it would suck for me.

besides, work is for work, not playing with your pet.

How unfortunate for you. Luckily for me, I don't believe in allergies. Therefore, I don't have any.

I have known more than one person who claims to have allergies to animals when the truth is they just don't like animals. Therefore, I'm skeptical of anyone who claims to have allergies to animals.

Having a dog with you at work doesn't mean you are "playing with your pet." Dogs are very good at laying quietly near their owner, grateful and appreciative just to be near the person who is the center of their existence. I'm sorry that your allergies prevent you from ever knowing what it feels like to have a faithful companion like that.

Last edited:
Meh, I see no reason you should bring your dog to work, out to eat, in the mall, etc etc. I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that allowed dogs, and while its a business owners right to allow pets, for many, depending on the type of business, I could see that costing the business money in the end.

Well, I guess you can't eat at any restaurants, then, because all restaurants must allow service dogs.

Quite a few years ago, I worked for a company that placed nurses for temporary shifts in hospitals. We had to cover 7 days a week, so every other week, I worked a weekend shift. It was a high rise building, but none of the other offices were open on the weekend. I took my dog with me for company and to feel safer (she was a big dog). At lunch time we went to a nearby park where she could get some exercise playing Frisbee. No one ever complained. Also, in that city, they allow dogs on the buses, and I thought that was pretty cool because for a time, I didn't have a car. I don't mind dogs being allowed at outdoor cafes, as long is there aren't a lot of them at any one time: there usually aren't. Seeing someone allow a dog to lick the plate, however, would cause to not return to that place. Mainly, I don't want to deal with other people's dogs in restaurants, shops, malls, etc., because so many of them behave badly or are not clean, though restaurants in general, I'd rather not have dogs allowed: maybe only pubs and little outdoor cafes which mainly serve drinks.

In other words, for me, it's not black and white. The issue of dogs in certain places is dependent on many variables, but mostly dependent on how well behaved and clean the dog is. So many, many people have badly behaved dogs and they don't even realize it. I did not like taking my dog to dog parks, for example, because most of the dogs were so poorly controlled by their owners and had such bad manners.

Luckily for me, I don't believe in allergies. Therefore, I don't have any.
LMAO

Last edited:

Can they type and file? I'm good with that! :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back