Don Johnson: Dead

Justice delayed is justice denied. It's absolutely ludicrous that people spend decades on Death Row.

It should be at most 12 months from sentence to execution.
DNA evidence has cleared numerous death row inmates.
I know that. In the last decade, however, DNA evidence collection and analysis has been commonplace and, barring malicious intent of those doing the analysis, mostly foolproof.

A death sentence should be death, not life in prison until death by natural causes.

Errors in analysis can occur without malicious intent. And unfortunately, since humans are still in charge of both DNA analysis and all other aspects of a prosecution, both error and malicious intent are always possibilities.

23c7b8b63088a2d16dedf28a0eaa4e70--lisa-lisa-don-johnson.jpg

Justice delayed is justice denied. It's absolutely ludicrous that people spend decades on Death Row.

I know that. In the last decade, however, DNA evidence collection and analysis has been commonplace and, barring malicious intent of those doing the analysis, mostly foolproof.

A death sentence should be death, not life in prison until death by natural causes.

Errors in analysis can occur without malicious intent. And unfortunately, since humans are still in charge of both DNA analysis and all other aspects of a prosecution, both error and malicious intent are always possibilities.
I agree with that. Two years, then, from sentencing to execution.

While I understand the desire to streamline the execution process, most death row inmates who have been exonerated spent more than 2 years in prison. Some spent decades waiting to be executed before being freed. Others have spent less than 10 years, but more than 2, before being freed.

For me, making sure the innocent are not killed by the state is more important than killing the guilty. Even without the death penalty, the state can keep criminals locked up for their entire lives. An innocent person who is executed can never be brought back. :dunno:

While I understand the desire to streamline the execution process, most death row inmates who have been exonerated spent more than 2 years in prison. Some spent decades waiting to be executed before being freed. Others have spent less than 10 years, but more than 2, before being freed.

For me, making sure the innocent are not killed by the state is more important than killing the guilty. Even without the death penalty, the state can keep criminals locked up for their entire lives. An innocent person who is executed can never be brought back. :dunno:
Indeed, I agree with all your points. But the decades-long delay for justice is frustrating.

Indeed, I agree with all your points. But the decades-long delay for justice is frustrating.

Absolutely. When you seem some monstrous individual able to drag out his life with appeal after appeal, clinging to any technicality that might keep him (or her, if much more infrequently) from death, it is incredibly frustrating. I wish that I felt as if I could trust the justice system to get things right all of the time.

Forum List

Back