Down goes DOMA!!

so, clinton gets pass for signing it becasue he knew that what, 15, 17 years later the SC would see it partially his way? Thats some pretty specious get out of jail free card, you could apply that to anything.

He was Slick Willy indeed. He pulled the same with DADT. And I (and many others) predicted it back then. As to applying it to "anything"...not really...only very obviously badly written law. :D

the ole 'flexible' yardstick, available at stores that cater to democrats only......:rolleyes:

??? "flexible yardstick"?

OK all you asshats, who I have supported over my few years here, can't bother yourselves to respond to my questions?

How fkn rude of you all!!
I wasted my time going back and forth between the live blog, which was wicked fast trying to post rulings as they came out here, while this page was whipping by at the same.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court cleared the way Wednesday for same-sex marriages to resume in California as the justices, in a procedural ruling, turned away the defenders of Proposition 8.

Chief Justice John Roberts, speaking for the 5-4 majority, said the private sponsors of Prop. 8 did not have legal standing to appeal after the ballot measure was struck down by a federal judge in San Francisco.

"We have never before upheld the standing of a private party to defend the constitutionality of a state statute when state officials have chosen not to," he said. "We decline to do so for the first time here."

Prop. 8: Supreme Court clears way for gay marriage in California - latimes.com

some folks don't read well, they are referring back to the state, and as seen above they didn't grant anything to anyone, they followed precedent and the law, I think they did the right thing.
The short form: If your vote really mattered, you probably wouldn't have one in the first place.

BTW, I happen to agree with this particular interpretation.

Last edited:
Wish they would just get the hell out of marriage period. This I hope is a step towards that by telling the government to take a flying leap off a cliff in trying to tell people who they can marry but I doubt it sometimes...just let people marry who they want for christ sakes.

No this is just a step closer to empower the government to regulate same sex relationships like they regulate our marriages.

OK all you asshats, who I have supported over my few years here, can't bother yourselves to respond to my questions?

I wasted my time going back and forth between the live blog, which was wicked fast trying to post rulings as they came out here, while this page was whipping by at the same.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court cleared the way Wednesday for same-sex marriages to resume in California as the justices, in a procedural ruling, turned away the defenders of Proposition 8.

Chief Justice John Roberts, speaking for the 5-4 majority, said the private sponsors of Prop. 8 did not have legal standing to appeal after the ballot measure was struck down by a federal judge in San Francisco.

"We have never before upheld the standing of a private party to defend the constitutionality of a state statute when state officials have chosen not to," he said. "We decline to do so for the first time here."

some folks don't read well, they are referring back to the state, and as seen above they didn't grant anything to anyone, they followed precedent and the law, I think they did the right thing.

They did. Prop 8 was already ruled unconstitutional. By not hearing the case, marriage is "granted" in CA...by the lower court ruling.

so, clinton gets pass for signing it becasue he knew that what, 15, 17 years later the SC would see it partially his way? Thats some pretty specious get out of jail free card, you could apply that to anything.

He was Slick Willy indeed. He pulled the same with DADT. And I (and many others) predicted it back then. As to applying it to "anything"...not really...only very obviously badly written law. :D

And if he hadn't passed DOMA and DADT back then, he wouldn't have had a 2nd term.

I have to bookmark this thread:lol: ......so what obama does now, if in 10-15 years its a bomb he gets a pass because it was politically expedient at the time?

I see, do you extend this "flexible" yardstick to republican executives too?

Watch the far right reactionaries now talk about marrying one's goldfish, age consent laws, bestiality, polygamy, and other things.

There's already a thread about a woman marrying her grandmother for benefits.

Yeah it's amazing that only the "far right" thinks about unintended consequences of bad decisions.

And if he hadn't passed DOMA and DADT back then, he wouldn't have had a 2nd term.

I have to bookmark this thread:lol: ......so what obama does now, if in 10-15 years its a bomb he gets a pass because it was politically expedient at the time?

Wouldn't surprise me if there were some signed laws out there like that.....why would it surprise anyone to see pandering like that in Washington?

I'm reminded of what the Congress did about the rights of black people in the 1860s-70s. First they just gave them freedom from slavery. THEN they gave them citizenship. THEN they gave them voting rights.

Last edited:

Can you deny the truth of my statement? No, you can't.

Watch the far right reactionaries now talk about marrying one's goldfish, age consent laws, bestiality, polygamy, and other things.
Indeed. I don't see anything wrong with Polygamy personally...but you are right..they are already having meltdowns! Quite humorous.

DOMA is gone and my life as a straight man goes on without change, congrats on gaining equality to Gay Americans.

Same here. same here...

They did. Prop 8 was already ruled unconstitutional. By not hearing the case, marriage is "granted" in CA...by the lower court ruling.

you are comprehension challenged;

they didn't make one remark as to the validity/legality or legal machinations by virtue of of prop 8, they said that they would not deal with it becasue there was no complainant they would recognize to argue the case in front of them......

Wish they would just get the hell out of marriage period. This I hope is a step towards that by telling the government to take a flying leap off a cliff in trying to tell people who they can marry but I doubt it sometimes...just let people marry who they want for christ sakes.

No this is just a step closer to empower the government to regulate same sex relationships like they regulate our marriages.
'Zactly...A boon to the bureaucrats who shuffle the papers and issue the licenses, along with the divorce bar.

you are comprehension challenged;

tjhey didn't make one remark as to the validity/legality or legal machinations by virtue of of prop 8, they said that they would not deal with it becasue there was no complainant they would recognize to argue the case in front of them......

Not arguing that, but by not hearing the case and since it was already ruled unconstitutional...it's over. Prop 8 is DONE.

That's a dumb libertarian talking point.

Marriage (dissolution of marriage) is about property.

Government's main function is to protect property (boundaries, ownership, possessions).

Lol...wrong. Marriage is a CONTRACT between 2 people absolutely no reason the government needs to be involved if its a divorce and only then the civil court needs involved.

There is no logical reason to limit it to two people.

I doubt that bigamy laws will stand, if challenged.

If a cluster wants a contract, the government should allow them to craft it, and register it at the courthouse.

if a cluster can find a church to marry them, then they can do that to.

Totally separate issues.

Technically, Polygamy isnt a contract between more than 2 people.

The fact that someone has multiple marriages, doesn't mean all the partners are involved in the other marriages.

For example. A marries B. That marriage is a contract between 2 people.

If A also marries C. That marriage also is a contract between 2 people.

But A being involved in two marriages, one with B and one with C, doesn't make B & C married. Having multiple marriage doesnt mean that there are more than two people involved in the marriage.

It's only when A, B, & C all marry that we have more than 2 people involved.

For all intensive purposes there is no legal reason to make either of these scenarios illegal if we follow the gay marriage argument.

Prop 8 is done. Until something else comes along. It is up to the people to take direct action.

You rightwing statist progressives don't seem to get it: if a state elects not to defend the constitutionality of a referendum or whatever, SCOTUS will not break its tradition of not hearing defense by other concerned persons.

Avatar is correct. Polygamy should now be defensible under the law and permitted. How that will shake things up here in the beehive state will be interesting.

Forum List

Back