Drone tracks down 5 teens caught throwing ‘large' rocks onto highway: sheriff

What do you mean?

The biggest example is police being immune from prosecution for false arrest as long as procedures are followed.

A cop is following a suspect and grabs another person, similarly dressed, by accident, they are in the clear.

Do that as a civilian and you can be sued, or even prosecuted, even if it was an honest mistake.

And that's not even getting into open and concealed carry rules in blue States.

The biggest example is police being immune from prosecution for false arrest as long as procedures are followed.

A cop is following a suspect and grabs another person, similarly dressed, by accident, they are in the clear.

Do that as a civilian and you can be sued, or even prosecuted, even if it was an honest mistake.

And that's not even getting into open and concealed carry rules in blue States.
Police are banned from using armed drones, not just Maine residents....looking back on Gunny statement, I think he was referring to Maine law, banning armed drones, may not be banned for law enforcement? But in Maine, it is....

On your other points, I agree.

Police are banned from using armed drones, not just Maine residents....looking back on hubby's statement, I think he was referring to Maine law, banning armed drones, may not be banned for law enforcement? But in Maine, it is....

I think his statement was on police having to follow given laws in general, not just armed drones.

I have a feeling if you use a drone to chase someone who just took your stereo you could be charged with something if they end up hurting themselves why fleeing. The police never have to worry about that as long as they follow and approved procedure.

By the time they are throwing rocks on freeway traffic, the time for butt whipping is LOOOONG past, it should have been exercised 7 or 8 years earlier and then the problem wouldn't exist.
I agree, but not knowing more about the kids juvi rap sheet and their age I cant be sure what their punishment should be

you are aware that when it comes to law enforcement general laws in a state may not apply?

Virginia is a little more nuanced. It bans them by government use without a warrant and then creates so many loopholes for police that it basically renders the restriction meaningless as to law enforcement.

Anyway, as long as it keeps the code enforcement nazis from droning around my property looking for something petty to ticket me for, I am fine with LE using them more liberally.

Virginia is a little more nuanced. It bans them by government use without a warrant and then creates so many loopholes for police that it basically renders the restriction meaningless as to law enforcement.

Anyway, as long as it keeps the code enforcement nazis from droning around my property looking for something petty to ticket me for, I am fine with LE using them more liberally.

Actually their use in active pursuit situations may reduce all those high speed chases people want banned.

It won't stop them from destroying evidence, but it creates an evidence chain from the location of the crime to where the perps are caught.

I agree, but not knowing more about the kids juvi rap sheet and their age I cant be sure what their punishment should be
What would you think would be fair punishment if you were driving down a freeway at 60 mph and suddenly you were hit in the head with a two pound rock, killing you? We're not talking about TPing a house or a porch pirate here--it is ATTEMPTED MURDER at the very least.

Source:

Excerpt:

"MONROE, N.C. (WNCN) — Deputies in North Carolina used a drone Friday night to track down suspects they say were throwing rocks from an overpass onto the toll highway below it.

There were several reports of at least two people throwing “large rocks off a bridge” onto the expressway, U.S. 74, below, according to the Union County Sheriff’s Office.

“Deputies arrived and located a semi-truck and trailer that had been struck by one of the rocks causing significant damage to the roof of the truck and the front side of the trailer,” deputies said in a news release.

Deputies then launched a drone with infrared technology to search the area."

Comment(s):

Using battlefield technology to domestically enforce civilian law is real bad juju. How long before police drones are armed? In the comments section of the linked article people overwhelmingly support both the use of battlefield tech on civilians in America, and the prosecution of the teen perpetrators' parents. I doubt they'd feel the same if it was their own kids caught dropping rocks off highway bridges. How long until police drones are equipped to kill suspects caught in the act?

This is not battle field tech. My son has a drone with an IR camera on it. They sell them on Amazon.

I say well done by the police.

Actually their use in active pursuit situations may reduce all those high speed chases people want banned.

It won't stop them from destroying evidence, but it creates an evidence chain from the location of the crime to where the perps are caught.

Yeah there is a hot pursuit exception among the many exceptions carved out for LE. One is they can use them to get an overhead view of a property they are about to raid. Others include amber alerts, blue alerts, missing persons searches, surveying accident/crime scenes, etc etc etc. Basically all run of the mill police activity. Really the only penalty for even breaking the law is that they cannot use it in court against if it was got by unauthorized use of drones.

What would you think would be fair punishment if you were driving down a freeway at 60 mph and suddenly you were hit in the head with a two pound rock, killing you? We're not talking about TPing a house or a porch pirate here--it is ATTEMPTED MURDER at the very least.
Are you trying to arguing me out of my opinion?

I could flesh out my reasoning, but I’m not trying to argue you out of your opinion either

So drive on

Are you trying to arguing me out of my opinion?

I could flesh out my reasoning, but I’m not trying to argue you out of your opinion either

So drive on
I understand your reasoning--I am simply trying to express that former violations or lack thereof have nothing to do with a crime of this magnitude.

I condemn police actions all the time but that noted, I have no problem with this.

My objections to police actions is the unjustified taking of lives.

The actions here by the kids could just as well do that and stopping it is a good thing.

Last edited:
Police are banned from using armed drones, not just Maine residents....looking back on Gunny statement, I think he was referring to Maine law, banning armed drones, may not be banned for law enforcement? But in Maine, it is....

Do you think armed drones are a bad idea? Imagine if in the future all cops are accompanied by armed drones. Back at headquarters is a lawyer and experienced cop who green light all police shootings. Cops dont even carry guns anymore. The drone has complete shot control and wont ever miss its target.

Are you against this idea, or do you prefer that beat cops decide who gets shot?

Do you think armed drones are a bad idea? Imagine if in the future all cops are accompanied by armed drones. Back at headquarters is a lawyer and experienced cop who green light all police shootings. Cops dont even carry guns anymore. The drone has complete shot control and wont ever miss its target.

Are you against this idea, or do you prefer that beat cops decide who gets shot?
without a doubt, the latter!

As long as the drones aren’t white. 😉

Forum List

Back