Drones

IsaacNewton

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2015
I'm surprised drone competitions haven't arisen yet. Obstacle courses, races, heavy lifting, jousts, frisby catching (ok a little far out).

It seems many drone owners are content trying to interfere with aircraft!

And where are the underwater drones. The tech exists and no one can get hurt for the most part.

Several things they can do.

version of the rodeo barrel race,

pick up an object, like a ball, and drop it in a basket like object.

capture an object in mid-air.

(Frisbee, ball, etc)

Drone almost hits skier...

Camera Drones Banned by Ski Federation After Near-Tragedy
December 23, 2015 - The International Ski Federation (FIS) is banning camera drones from its World Cup races after one of the flying objects crashed and nearly hit Austrian skier Marcel Hirscher during a slalom in Italy.
FIS will prohibit drones "as long as I am responsible ... because they are a bad thing for safety,'' men's race director Markus Waldner told the Associated Press on Wednesday, a day after the night race in Madonna di Campiglio. "It was huge luck that Marcel was not hurt,'' Waldner said. "I am very angry.'' The drone carrying a TV camera came down and shattered on the icy slope just behind Hirscher, a few seconds after the Olympic silver medalist started his second run.

FE7B263F-5811-4894-8BD6-2D2064205387_w640_r1_s.jpg

Marcel Hirscher of Austria clears a gate during the first run in the men's slalom at the Alpine Skiing World Cup in Madonna di Campiglio, northern Italy, December 22, 2015. In his second run, a drone crashed directly behind him.​

The company responsible for the drone, sports marketing agency Infront, said its initial investigation "indicates a malfunction of the drone.'' "The most likely reason is a strong and unforeseen interference on the operating frequency, leading to limited operability,'' Infront said in a statement. "The pilot followed the official security procedure, purposely flying the drone as close as possible to the ground before releasing it. The aim was to destroy the drone, in order to prevent it from losing control.'' Hirscher was unhurt and continued his run, finishing second behind Norwegian winner Henrik Kristoffersen. "I didn't know what it was, but I felt something,'' the four-time overall World Cup champion said. "I thought it was a course worker behind me, or a gate.''

73EA8C87-4FA0-4164-8F4C-F3806B600F8E_w640_r1_s_cx5_cy11_cw83.jpg

A TV drone flies beside Canada's Erick Guay during the second practice of the men's Alpine skiing World Cup downhill race at the Lauberhorn in Wenge​

Course workers slip through the gates shortly after each skier to smooth the snow surface for the next competitor. "I am very relieved that nothing happened,'' Hirscher said. “You don't want to think about what could have happened when 10 kilograms are coming down 20 meters. That would have been a very serious, bad injury. There are a lot of cool things nowadays. But you have to guarantee the safety — and that was just insane.''

‘Did not follow instructions’

See also:

FAA Prepares for Christmas Surge in Drone Registration
December 24, 2015 - The U.S. Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) has temporarily suspended its online drone registration to complete maintenance ahead of what is expected to be a busy Christmas Day with people registering unmanned aircraft systems received as gifts.
The FAA said Wednesday that more than 45,000 drone registrations had been completed by Tuesday, and some of those customers reported problems with the site. The FAA says it is working to resolve and address those issues ahead of increased Christmas demand.

It is estimated that as many as 400,000 drones could be sold during this year's holiday season. The FAA requires all aircraft weighing between 250 grams and 25 kilograms be registered. It says the registration will help make users aware of the rules about flying safely and enable the FAA to track drones in the event of an incident.

9688623D-C4D7-41A0-B812-8E4A43DF773A_w640_r1_s.jpg

The DJI Phantom 3, a consumer drone, takes flight after it was unveiled at a launch event in Manhattan, New York​

Owners who have been operating unmanned aircraft before December 21 of this year have until February 19, 2016 to register. Owners who have purchased devices since December 21 must register before their first flight.

Registration will cost $5 for all private and commercial unmanned aircraft. One registration number, available for purchase online, will cover multiple drones owned by the same person or entity and will be valid for three years. The age limit for registration is 13 years. Younger owners will have to register their craft through their parents.

FAA Prepares for Christmas Surge in Drone Registration

I'm surprised drone competitions haven't arisen yet. Obstacle courses, races, heavy lifting, jousts, frisby catching (ok a little far out).

And where are the underwater drones. The tech exists and no one can get hurt for the most part.

Where the hell have you been? The Reno Air Races has had drone competitions for at least two years now....

Drone Enthusiasts Soar at Unmanned Flying Contest at Reno National Championship Air Races

Drone Enthusiasts Soar at Unmanned Flying Competition Hosted by Embry-Riddle at National Championship Air Races at Reno

Where the hell have you been? The Reno Air Races has had drone competitions for at least two years now....

Drone Enthusiasts Soar at Unmanned Flying Contest at Reno National Championship Air Races

Drone Enthusiasts Soar at Unmanned Flying Competition Hosted by Embry-Riddle at National Championship Air Races at Reno

Most people don't know about Reno Air Races or that they have drone races.

Now we do. Thanks again for your support - Bartles and James.

Forum List

Back