Duke-Georgetown: Academic DNA (TrumpUSA)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Duke University and Georgetown University are two premier American schools with a strong reputation in both undergraduate and graduate education.

Duke and Georgetown are known for their strong programs in political science, history, and law (and other academic departments as well!).

These two schools are also known for their stellar investments in both student life and extra-curricular activities.

In fact, the men's college basketball programs for the Duke Blue Devils and Georgetown Hoyas represent social prestige in the American student-athlete 'landscape.'

The Blue Devils have won a whopping 5 national titles and numerous regular-season ACC titles/tournaments all under the guidance of legendary Coach Mike Krzyzewski ('Coach K'), while the Hoyas stood out in many Big East competitions and won the 1984 national title under the watchful eye of the legendary Coach John Thompson (featured in the inner-city basketball-drama film Above the Rim as himself!).

That's why comparing the Blue Devils and the Hoyas represents 'American flowery,' which is why we might see an American social icon such as Tom Cruise debating with a hypothetical Ivy League student/administrator (say, named Ajay Satan) about a Blue Devils-Hoyas 'showdown.'

Does the age of media promote more pedestrian sentimentalism (e.g., The People's Court) or less populace welfare (e.g., Celebrity)?

dg5.png

====

CRUISE: The Hoyas are a great totem in Washington!
AJAY: Yes, John Thompson made college basketball a 'pluralism affair.'
CRUISE: The Hoyas have seen outstanding African-American talents.
AJAY: Allen Iverson, Patrick Ewing, and Alonzo Mourning.
CRUISE: True; that's why the Hoyas are the 'true' rivals of Duke.
AJAY: The Duke Blue Devils are a collegiate trophy in American society.
CRUISE: Yes, Coach K has hoisted Duke to the level of cultural distinction.
AJAY: Substantially, Duke's rival is considered to be North Carolina.
CRUISE: That's just a geographical-rivalry, but Georgetown is a 'cultural-rivalry.'
AJAY: I think I agree; the Hoyas offer the same kind of 'student-athlete' prestige!
CRUISE: The Blue Devils faced the Hoyas in the November 2015 2K Classic.
AJAY: Yes, Duke guard Grayson Allen carried the Blue Devils to an 86-84 victory.
CRUISE: It was a tense championship game!
AJAY: Many sports-writers commented on how symbolic/intriguing that game was.
CRUISE: It truly was a memorable 'match-up' between two culture-heavyweights.
AJAY: As an Ivy League member, I must say that Duke and Georgetown are 'prestigious.'
CRUISE: There're only a handful of American schools that can 'touch' the Ivy League.
AJAY: Yes --- Stanford, MIT, CalTech, Duke, Georgetown, Rice, and Johns Hopkins.
CRUISE: I'd add UCLA and Chicago to that distinguished list (call it 'The Big 9'!).
AJAY: I went to Dartmouth where I learned of a terrific library-ghost story.
CRUISE: I'm sure there will be new Duke-Georgetown 'folk-tales.'
AJAY: It all depends on the level of pedestrian interest in 'academic marketing.'
CRUISE: Have you seen my sports-culture film Jerry Maguire?
AJAY: Yes, and I'm as much a fan of the NCAAB film Blue Chips!
CRUISE: That's a symbolic Nick Nolte film drawing attention to recruitment.
AJAY: Perhaps the November 2015 2K Classic will be remembered as 'perfect.'
CRUISE: I think media idealism can be coordinated with 'TrumpUSA' rhetoric.
AJAY: Who doesn't like Chariots of Fire?

====

dg2.jpg

Forum List

Back