Easier financial aid form = more IRS data mining

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
Thanks, Obama
:thup:

Obama Makes College Aid Application Earlier And Easier

"Today, we're lending a hand to millions of high school students who want to go to college and who've worked hard," Duncan said. "We're announcing an easier, earlier FAFSA."

Usually, students start applying to colleges in the fall, then apply for financial aid in January — when the FAFSA comes out. But that means that many find themselves accepted by a college before they know how much help they're getting. The new plan would release the FAFSA in October instead of January.

(Cool...that's a pretty nifty new feature, I must agree. But here comes the part that makes me cringe)

"There's a new IRS data-retrieval tool where parents and students can log onto the IRS through FAFSA, and it will pre-populate much of the form."

A student's dream come true: The IRS filling out much of the FAFSA for you!

The problem is, the FAFSA requires parents' tax information from the prior year. And some 4 million students apply for aid each year before their families' taxes have been filed. So this great IRS tool ... can't help them.

Well, starting in October of 2016, the FAFSA will require parents' tax info from the "prior-prior" year instead. That opens the door for the IRS to automatically fill out a big chunk of just about everyone's FAFSA.

Wow......Our beloved IRS not only has their hands in our healthcare, now our kids' education
:clap2:

This was of zero help to us, as our income has cratered since filing the return. I tried to explain it to the school and plea for a greater scholarship amount, but they could give a shit.

Forum List

Back