Ecuador seeks partner to stop gas flaring as anger rises in the Amazon

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Ecuador oil company Petroecuador says it is working to shut down gas flares in the Amazon to comply with a court-imposed deadline, but progress is too slow for nearby communities who allege the flares cause cancer and other illnesses.

A provincial tribunal in Sucumbios province last year ordered Petroecuador and a handful of private operators to stop hundreds of flares – which burn off natural gas emitted during oil production when there is no infrastructure to capture it – in inhabited areas by March 2023.

Flaring last year released 400 million tonnes of greenhouse gases globally, according to the World Bank, and researchers have warned of health problems from cancer to respiratory disease associated with the practice.

The state-owned company is hoping to find a private partner to invest in technology needed to capture the 65 million cubic feet of gas emitted daily by flares, which flame constantly above verdant treetops.

Petroecuador said 15 companies have expressed interest, including Promigas SA and Gran Tierra Energy.

They just aren't moving fast enough.

Efficiency to stop burn offs in the refinery process is needed. They are probably running the plants above rated design. Full automated systems to produce less burn offs is probably the best answers.

But that requires many turn arounds and massive money to put in the systems to minimize it. Even after that ..............THERE WILL ALWAYS BE BURN OFFS.

Nothing is 100 percent efficient.

I often wondered why I saw so many flare off burns at pumping sites and refineries. I've been told that these gases were toxic, and could not be used like propane is. I still wondered why it was burned off into the air as waste instead of collected and used for some purpose.

I often wondered why I saw so many flare off burns at pumping sites and refineries. I've been told that these gases were toxic, and could not be used like propane is. I still wondered why it was burned off into the air as waste instead of collected and used for some purpose.
Larger burns are purged to prevent over pressure or for plant upsets.........Everything is in sequence in a refinery. When one part screws up it effects them all. So the excess must be shot out the flares or the place will blow up. There will always be loses..............The better efficiency of the plant the less loses.

When you see large flames..........a plant upset is going on and they are forced to dump it. Or it's a planned shut down and they are purging the chemicals from a plant in shutting down.

There is NO WAY TO ELLIMINATE IT.

The ignitors suck. Just did one not too long ago. The TI and ignitor cables are MI cable and are very easily damaged. Pain in the butt to install. The fiber insulation we put on them makes you itch like hell too.

Better Instrumentation to monitor the flow, pressure, and levels to get efficient is the key to not flaring so much. Not to mention better operator training. Newer Instrumentation is very expensive. And requires shut downs to install. Older systems being replaced is also a key. They probably haven't upgraded near enough down there to stop that much flaring.

Forum List

Back