Egyptian table tennis legend beats all the odds

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's amazing how some people can overcome their adversities.

GettyImages-601340924.jpg

Egypt's Ibrahim Hamadtou competes in table tennis at the Riocentro during the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Sept. 9, 2016. (photo by GETTY/Christophe Simon)

Ibrahim Hamadtou never imagined that one day he would be a table tennis legend. When he was 10 years old, an accident led to the amputation of both of his arms. But Hamadtou, now 43, represented Egypt in the 2016 Paralympics Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Although he went home without a medal, Hamadtou gained fame and praise for his athletic skill.

Summary⎙ Print Ibrahim Hamadtou was told he could never play table tennis, but this year he represented Egypt in the sport at the Paralympic Games.
Author Menna A. FaroukPosted September 30, 2016
In 1983, Hamadtou had unintentionally been pushed from a train. He told Al-Monitor that he initially found it difficult to come to terms with having a disability, but his determined spirit and will got him through it.

“At the time, it was all dark,” he said. “I lost hope, and I thought that I would never be able to achieve anything in my life.” Hamadtou stayed shut in at home for three years, fearful of people’s comments and looks of pity. He then gradually began to walk with his uncle at night, after everyone had gone to bed in their village in the Nile Delta governorate of Damietta. With the help of his uncle, Hamadtou was able to get back on his feet and ultimately embark on his legendary career.

“My uncle was doing everything to make me happy,” Hamadtou said. “During one of our talks, he suggested that I play some kind of sport.” Hamadtou first tried soccer, but he would lose his balance when jostling by other players. “I was knocked to the ground several times when playing soccer,” he recounted. “That is why I began to think about another sport.

Read more:

Forum List

Back