El Paso cop pulls gun on children

Pointing a gun at kids, even for a moment, doesn't look good. On the other hand, what should the cop have done about the kids that were encroaching on the space of the arrest? Perhaps he could have beat a few with his night stick? (I'm being sarcastic).

I don't know that pulling his gun on the kids can be excused...but I wouldn't be upset if a few of those kids got taken to juvi, either. Those were some foul-mouthed, disrespectful, aggressive little shits. If you're going to hurl insults and epithets at a cop, at least have the common sense not to get in his face as a group while you do it.

It looks as if the cop let his anger get the better of him, but his anger appeared to come from a gaggle of instigating kids. My first impression is everyone was in the wrong.

There is some truth to that. Yet, we don’t expect the same level of maturity from a child, as we do an adult. Especially an adult who has been granted authority, and the power of life and death.

One of the reasons the "good guy with a gun" gambit is such a canard. Good and bad are value judgments. If the police officer had pointed the gun at a kid and a non involved gun carrying adult who was a distance away was watching the scene we saw on video...what should he have done?

Pointing a gun at kids, even for a moment, doesn't look good. On the other hand, what should the cop have done about the kids that were encroaching on the space of the arrest? Perhaps he could have beat a few with his night stick? (I'm being sarcastic).

I don't know that pulling his gun on the kids can be excused...but I wouldn't be upset if a few of those kids got taken to juvi, either. Those were some foul-mouthed, disrespectful, aggressive little shits. If you're going to hurl insults and epithets at a cop, at least have the common sense not to get in his face as a group while you do it.

It looks as if the cop let his anger get the better of him, but his anger appeared to come from a gaggle of instigating kids. My first impression is everyone was in the wrong.

There is some truth to that. Yet, we don’t expect the same level of maturity from a child, as we do an adult. Especially an adult who has been granted authority, and the power of life and death.

That's certainly true. It doesn't excuse the behavior shown by the kids, though. :dunno:

That's certainly true. It doesn't excuse the behavior shown by the kids, though. :dunno:

No. It doesn’t. However it’s always troubling to me that so many always lower standards and expectations for police.

When a Commercial Truck Driver is in an accident he is held to a higher standard than the driver of the family car. The driver is a professional and should be better. A Commercial pilot is held to a higher standard than a private pilot. Again the idea that he is a professional and the expectations are higher. As an example. The legal limit for alcohol for a commercial driver no matter what he is driving is 0.00 BAC. If I have enough alcohol in my system to blow a 0.01 in my car then I am DUI. I am the professional and expected to be better and even more careful than the average driver.

Pilot error for a private pilot is greeted with shrugs and almost apathy. Pilot error for a pilot of a jumbo jet is met with incredulity. Pilot error for a military pilot could spell the end of a career.

Yet when it comes to cops, we accept failures and mistakes that would be intolerable by any random untrained individuals. If a citizen pulled a gun on a group of kids it would be brandishing. Assault with a deadly weapon. Or even attempted murder. Yet if the guy waving the gun around is a cop it is acceptable.

If you or I did it the question would be where was the threat to our lives? Look how many blame the kids.

We hold the professionals in every other field to a higher standard. Why do we hold the professional police to a lower standard?

If any of you have ever been to El Paso you would understand it’s a tough place to be a cop. Couldn’t pay me enough.

No. It doesn’t. However it’s always troubling to me that so many always lower standards and expectations for police.

When a Commercial Truck Driver is in an accident he is held to a higher standard than the driver of the family car. The driver is a professional and should be better. A Commercial pilot is held to a higher standard than a private pilot. Again the idea that he is a professional and the expectations are higher. As an example. The legal limit for alcohol for a commercial driver no matter what he is driving is 0.00 BAC. If I have enough alcohol in my system to blow a 0.01 in my car then I am DUI. I am the professional and expected to be better and even more careful than the average driver.

Pilot error for a private pilot is greeted with shrugs and almost apathy. Pilot error for a pilot of a jumbo jet is met with incredulity. Pilot error for a military pilot could spell the end of a career.

Yet when it comes to cops, we accept failures and mistakes that would be intolerable by any random untrained individuals. If a citizen pulled a gun on a group of kids it would be brandishing. Assault with a deadly weapon. Or even attempted murder. Yet if the guy waving the gun around is a cop it is acceptable.

If you or I did it the question would be where was the threat to our lives? Look how many blame the kids.

We hold the professionals in every other field to a higher standard. Why do we hold the professional police to a lower standard?

It's a bit different, because an amateur cop might qualify as a vigilante. There isn't really an amateur level for policing.

This is a complex issue, involving things such as police salaries, levels of training, amount of funding for law enforcement, rules of engagement, a huge number of laws to enforce, not to mention the actions of those the police interact with.

There are cases where I think officers who did something wrong deserved more punishment than they received, and I get the impression that police take loyalty to other officers too far at times. However, police are often lumped together based on the actions of a few; sometimes, incidents that might at first glance appear to be bad actions by police turn out not to be; and because people's interactions with police are so often negative, or happen during negative incidents, the police are looked at in an unfairly negative light.

I'm not sure what should be done in this particular case. It depends on the rules for officers drawing their weapons and any applicable laws.

One of the reasons the "good guy with a gun" gambit is such a canard. Good and bad are value judgments. If the police officer had pointed the gun at a kid and a non involved gun carrying adult who was a distance away was watching the scene we saw on video...what should he have done?

Really? In what world is a murderer considered a "good guy"?

You are about a dumb shit......

In the world where people defend the actions of police, no matter what. There are many of those on this board.

In the world where people defend the actions of police, no matter what. There are many of those on this board.

I'd disagree with that, most [non-trolls] on this board argue that the full facts need to come out before guilt is assigned and do call out bad police when it's proven.

Indeed there are. And they are every bit as wrong as a person who is always anti cop. The reality is most cops do a good job. Ten percent are absolute criminals, and 10% are saints. The one common denominator is the standards and training with firearms have been lowered to such an extent that negligent, and unjustified shootings are becoming ever more commonplace.

That needs to stop. The way to stop it is to mandate the hiring standards be INCREASED, and that firearms training be likewise increased.

In what world did I say that?

"Good and bad are value judgments"..

Dumbest come back ever.

Dumbest come back ever.

Appropriate considering the stupid nature of the quote.

Forum List

Back