Elizabeth Warren Barred From Reading Coretta Scott King Letter About Jeff Sessions On Senate Floor

You have ten pages to work with

Show me a specific statement that you object to

This wasn't about me.....it's about why Warren was blocked......it broke Senate rules.

I'm still looking for a single statement that breaks the rule

What are you offended by?

Here's her full speech......or as much was allowed.

She was initially warned by Senator Steve Daines, the Presiding Officer from Montana, about breaking the rule somewhere around 23:20(?) about her previous quotes from Kennedy's letter of a setting Senator being a disgrace.
Then at 49:18(?) Mitch McConnell stated she again broke the ruling by quoting Kings comments in her letter saying 'Senator Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens'. McConnell's charge was that she was impuning the motives and conduct of a colleague of which she had been previously warned against.

That is a broad overreach

Both documents are a matter of public record from distinguished citizens and are directly related to Sessions fitness for the office he seeks

Do Republicans really think sessions record is off limits just because he is a Senator?

Regardless of your opinion on the matter.....or mine, or Republicans or Democrats..........the fact still remains that she broke a standing rule and was called on it. That is a fact.
She should have taken heed to the warning and maybe reworded her responses that did not include direct quotes from Sessions opposition 30 years prior to a lower appointment where those comments were acceptable.

Broad overreach of power that backfired Bigly

from one of Jeff Sessions VICTIMS
That's Immaterial, Sessions is going to be confirmed as the next AG and there is nothing the Democrats can do about it short of releasing video of him cutting the hearts out of infants. Best bet is to focus on what he does while he's AG, play time is over, Senator Nimrod D-Mass scored her political victory but it's time to get on with the inevitable.

This wasn't about me.....it's about why Warren was blocked......it broke Senate rules.

She was initially warned by Senator Steve Daines, the Presiding Officer from Montana, about breaking the rule somewhere around 23:20(?) about her previous quotes from Kennedy's letter of a setting Senator being a disgrace.
Then at 49:18(?) Mitch McConnell stated she again broke the ruling by quoting Kings comments in her letter saying 'Senator Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens'. McConnell's charge was that she was impuning the motives and conduct of a colleague of which she had been previously warned against.

Both documents are a matter of public record from distinguished citizens and are directly related to Sessions fitness for the office he seeks

Do Republicans really think sessions record is off limits just because he is a Senator?

That isn't his record.
It is an opinion of one person that is unsubstantiated. I think we should stop using articles derived from a biased source as evidence and stick to the facts.

It is part of his record

Both documents are public record pertaining to his fitness for office

How can you have a Senate Confirmation hearing without being allowed to provide negative information on the candidate?

no, that letter isn't.

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Warren was reading a 1986 letter by Coretta Scott King about Sessions.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

Watch a clip of the exchange above.

More: Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

Rules are rules.

That isn't his record.
It is an opinion of one person that is unsubstantiated. I think we should stop using articles derived from a biased source as evidence and stick to the facts.

It is part of his record

How can you have a Senate Confirmation hearing without being allowed to provide negative information on the candidate?

cause there are rules. learn something for a change.

dude, you can't yell bomb on a plane. and there is a first amendment right?

wow! the letter needs to be made part of the record in the sessions hearings....it's disturbing, to say the least! :eek:

Coretta Scott King's 1986 statement and testimony on Jeff...
so just a question is there any facts to support the letter? Why is it most blacks in Alabama like Sessions then? I don't get you stupid fks. cuckoo.

Do you have any "credible" proof that "most blacks in Alabama like Sessions"?
I watched back when he was nominated as the blacks in alabama were interviewed on TV and stated what a good and fair man he was. So, let's start with find someone today that can show he is a racist. can you?

Why did the Republican Senate reject him for a federal judgeship in 1986?

Jeff Sessions Was Deemed Too Racist To Be A Federal Judge. He'll Now Be Trump's Attorney General.

Regardless of your opinion on the matter.....or mine, or Republicans or Democrats..........the fact still remains that she broke a standing rule and was called on it. That is a fact.
She should have taken heed to the warning and maybe reworded her responses that did not include direct quotes from Sessions opposition 30 years prior to a lower appointment where those comments were acceptable.

So where is this overreach of which you speak? And just how did it backfire bigly?

wow! the letter needs to be made part of the record in the sessions hearings....it's disturbing, to say the least! :eek:

so just a question is there any facts to support the letter? Why is it most blacks in Alabama like Sessions then? I don't get you stupid fks. cuckoo.

I watched back when he was nominated as the blacks in alabama were interviewed on TV and stated what a good and fair man he was. So, let's start with find someone today that can show he is a racist. can you?

Jeff Sessions Was Deemed Too Racist To Be A Federal Judge. He'll Now Be Trump's Attorney General.
I have no fking idea since I wasn't there.

I wasn't there either - but I watched the hearings. Did you?

"King also took issue with the aggressiveness in which Sessions pursued the case at that time. She said witnesses who testified were pressured and intimidated into submitting "correct" testimony.

"Many elderly blacks were visited multiple times by the FBI who then hauled them over 180 miles by bus to a grand jury in Mobile when they could more easily have testified at a grand jury twenty miles away in Selma," said King.

"These voters, and others, have announced they are now never going to vote again."

A jury would eventually dismiss all charges against the three. Sessions, in 1986, had his nomination to the federal judgeship defeated by the Senate Judiciary Committee amid allegations of other racist claims which included alleged statements that he called the NAACP "un-American."

Coretta Scott King's 1986 letter opposing Sessions adds last-minute drama to confirmation hearings
Do you want to discuss how un-American and racist the NAACP is?

NAACP is a patriotic organization that has done more to fight for freedom of Americans than any other organization
They only fight for the rights of one group, not for equality. That is un-American.

I wasn't there either - but I watched the hearings. Did you?
I watched the ones this year. not in 1986

I was Born in Alabama, my father was born in Alabama, my grandparents were born in Alabama, and my great grandparents were born in Alabama.... :rolleyes:
Sessions DID NOT deny her accusations in the hearing back then...
Welll you have as yet not denied the robbery of two Wells Fargo banks either; get the point?

Mitch, a racist, defending racist Sessions.

Summation of liberals arguments today about any topic;
WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !WAAHHHAAAHH ! ! ! He's aRAYSSSISSS! ! !

That isn't his record.

It is part of his record

Kind of a flakey "rule" that you can't say anything about a Senator who is up for confirmation in another job

It was a beautiful thing to behold, and she deserved it. They are doing nothing but obstruction and character assassination of every single cabinet position. The Senate should just go Nuclear every time, and just get the cabinet fleshed out.

That isn't his record.

It is part of his record

Kind of a flakey "rule" that you can't say anything about a Senator who is up for confirmation in another job

so you don't believe in rules? I actually believe you don't.

"King also took issue with the aggressiveness in which Sessions pursued the case at that time. She said witnesses who testified were pressured and intimidated into submitting "correct" testimony.

"Many elderly blacks were visited multiple times by the FBI who then hauled them over 180 miles by bus to a grand jury in Mobile when they could more easily have testified at a grand jury twenty miles away in Selma," said King.

"These voters, and others, have announced they are now never going to vote again."

A jury would eventually dismiss all charges against the three. Sessions, in 1986, had his nomination to the federal judgeship defeated by the Senate Judiciary Committee amid allegations of other racist claims which included alleged statements that he called the NAACP "un-American."

Coretta Scott King's 1986 letter opposing Sessions adds last-minute drama to confirmation hearings

NAACP is a patriotic organization that has done more to fight for freedom of Americans than any other organization
They only fight for the rights of one group, not for equality. That is un-American.

They fought for freedom, justice and liberty

NAACP is as patriotic an organization as any organization during the founding of our country

what backfired bigly?

They fought for freedom, justice and liberty

NAACP is as patriotic an organization as any organization during the founding of our country
yeah like calling blacks who are conservative uncle tom? that kind of patriot?

I concede you and the liberals have a good objection

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement that McConnell's action was "selective enforcement" of Rule XIX.

"Senate Republicans have regularly flaunted Rule XIX in the past – but Republicans never asked them to sit down," said Schumer, who went on to point out that McConnell didn't object when Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, called him a liar in a 2015 dustup.

No they don't, you haven't looked at the rule either I guess.
Obviously, you haven't either. I even posted it in #52 and you still didn't read it.

I guess you didn't understand #2 of the rule, Warrens motive was to personally impute another Senator, that's a no-no.

No, the motive was to bring evidence of her concerns with the nominee for AG in the most appropriate time to do so. During the debate period.

She should have brought it up in the Judiciary Committee hearings where it was allowed.

What part of debate don't you understand?

Forum List

Back