Elizabeth Warren Barred From Reading Coretta Scott King Letter About Jeff Sessions On Senate Floor

She did open her mouth, she wasn't shut down for speaking.
She was shut down for speaking, however the poster I was responding too suggested that she be shut down before being allowed to speak.

If you're saying the public is better served by getting propaganda from Democrat media outlets I say bull. She can lie and CNN can report but America needs more facts and less manufactured drama.
She can go to the press and regurgitate all the unfounded accusations contained in the letter anyways but NOW she can not only do that but she can also go to the press and bitch about how the Republicans violated her right to speak on the Senate Floor, they just made her into a free speech Martyr instead of taking the opportunity to make her look stupid by letting her speak and then destroying her argument on the floor of the Senate in front of the cameras.

I don't watch the msm but if they are giving the GOP a black eye it proves how worthless they are, not how bad the GOP is.
That's not the point, what Republican hyper-partisans think isn't important, it's what the general "middle of the road" public thinks that will determine electoral outcomes and this makes the GOP look bad to them. Personally I don't really give a fuck since I have no more respect for the GOP than I do for the Democrats but from a political standpoint what McConnell did makes no sense.
Jesus H. Christ! She wasn't shut down for opening her pie hole, it's what flew out of it that caused her problems. Why is that too hard?

Dishonesty in the media and how it's presented isn't the point? It is for me, speak for your own points.
No shit Sherlock, why don't you go back and read the preceding portion of the conversation that you've inserted yourself into, what she said on the Senate Floor doesn't make a damn bit of difference it's how the Majority Leader reacted to it that does and what she can now do with that reaction, politics is PERCEPTION, what is that "too hard" for you to understand? :cool:
"McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.'

You mean that? It's exactly what I responded to. What's wrong with you?

Mitch McConnell, the Republican majority leader, objected that Warren had broken Senate rules that prohibit one member impugning the conduct of another. Senators then voted 49-43 to uphold a ruling in McConnell’s favour.

THIS^^^ is why she was shut out. She broke a rule that she had been warned about several times.

Except four other Senators all read the same thing.

No they don't, you haven't looked at the rule either I guess.
Obviously, you haven't either. I even posted it in #52 and you still didn't read it.

I guess you didn't understand #2 of the rule, Warrens motive was to personally impute another Senator, that's a no-no.

No, the motive was to bring evidence of her concerns with the nominee for AG in the most appropriate time to do so. During the debate period.

She should have brought it up in the Judiciary Committee hearings where it was allowed.

What part of debate don't you understand?
the part that says she must stay within the rules of the chambers.

Mitch McConnell, the Republican majority leader, objected that Warren had broken Senate rules that prohibit one member impugning the conduct of another. Senators then voted 49-43 to uphold a ruling in McConnell’s favour.

THIS^^^ is why she was shut out. She broke a rule that she had been warned about several times.

Except four other Senators all read the same thing.
so it was needed again?

In the letter, King wrote that Sessions “used the power of his office as United States Attorney to intimidate and chill the free exercise of the ballot by citizens.” Among other things, Sessions attempted to “intimidate and frighten elderly black voters,” King added.

McConnell said that, by quoting Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, Warren “impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama.” He then invoked Rule 19 to force Warren to stop speaking.

The rule is intended to encourage senators to be polite to each other. But McConnell used it squelch debate about a man nominated to be the next Attorney General of the United States.

More: Elizabeth Warren was just silenced on the Senate floor. Her crime was quoting Coretta Scott King.

Unbelievable!

The exact same evidence used in the 80's that led to Sessions not getting a federal judgeship. It was relevant then and it's just as relevant now given the scope of cases the AG will need to oversee.
How far we have fallen.

Yes, how far have we fallen, but not for the reason you ctrl-Lefties promote.

Here's her full speech......or as much was allowed.

She was initially warned by Senator Steve Daines, the Presiding Officer from Montana, about breaking the rule somewhere around 23:20(?) about her previous quotes from Kennedy's letter of a setting Senator being a disgrace.
Then at 49:18(?) Mitch McConnell stated she again broke the ruling by quoting Kings comments in her letter saying 'Senator Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens'. McConnell's charge was that she was impuning the motives and conduct of a colleague of which she had been previously warned against.

That is a broad overreach

Both documents are a matter of public record from distinguished citizens and are directly related to Sessions fitness for the office he seeks

Do Republicans really think sessions record is off limits just because he is a Senator?

That isn't his record.
It is an opinion of one person that is unsubstantiated. I think we should stop using articles derived from a biased source as evidence and stick to the facts.

It is part of his record

Both documents are public record pertaining to his fitness for office

How can you have a Senate Confirmation hearing without being allowed to provide negative information on the candidate?

cause there are rules. learn something for a change.

dude, you can't yell bomb on a plane. and there is a first amendment right?

Kind of a flakey "rule" that you can't say anything about a Senator who is up for confirmation in another job

Of course....since it's your girl.

Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.
16602970_1692148950796076_626794431366469042_n.png
170208-senate-republicans-racist-sexist_zpsxkgiocfo.jpg

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Warren was reading a 1986 letter by Coretta Scott King about Sessions.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

Watch a clip of the exchange above.

More: Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

It's about time McConnell grew a pair. damn rules, you folks just can't seem abide by them

What the fuck rule are you talking about? The letter was already in the congressional record. She didn't do anything wrong. She just read what was already there and had been read before. Why wasn't it wrong then but it's wrong now? The answer? It wasn't wrong. It was racist Republicans shutting up a Democrat because he felt like it. Period.

Evidently it violated rule 19, McConnell brought it up and the chair sustained and told the bitch to take her seat. I guess you didn't bother to watch the video. Maybe instead of bitching at me you should look up Senate rule 19, I'm not going to do it for you.

Cruz called Mitch a "liar" on the senate floor, but Mitch ignored it.

Ms. Warren read a letter decades old in the Senate record. But she is censored? Like I said a couple of hundred times. The rules are different for Democrats.

I concede you and the liberals have a good objection

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement that McConnell's action was "selective enforcement" of Rule XIX.

"Senate Republicans have regularly flaunted Rule XIX in the past – but Republicans never asked them to sit down," said Schumer, who went on to point out that McConnell didn't object when Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, called him a liar in a 2015 dustup.

He who owns the gold (senate), makes the rules.

Can't get enough of Lizzy Warren being told to sit down and shut up.

Thanks for posting.

The damn letter was 20 years old, and was nothing but an attempt at Obstruction and Character Assassination back then.
It was read by Democrat Senators 3 times previously, and each time each one of those Senators were given a warning that they were violating Senate rules, but the Senate let the letter be read anyways all three times.

Elizabeth Warren decided to test the patience of The Senate one more time and try to read it a 4th time, you know, so CNN could get a convenient sound bite out of it, because they missed the first three times.

Well, in my book, that is down right ANTAGONISTIC, and she should have not only been asked to sit down, they should have censured her and removed her from the chambers.

She and three other Senators were warned and told to quit reading the damn 20 year old letter, which again I remind you was written to Obstruct, and to Character Assassinate Sessions 20 years ago, and had already been read 3 times that day. The accusations had no merit or proof back then, as they have no merit or proof now.

It was nothing but pure unadulterated slander and read out loud with malice and reckless disregard for decency and decorum.

So what do the Dem Fascist Liberal Nazis do?

They do what all Dems do. They refuse to reform, and they double down on stupid. It's all they know.

So they got what they deserved.

Last edited:
The damn letter was 20 years old, and was nothing but an attempt at Obstruction and Character Assassination.
Benghazi

CNN: Silencing Elizabeth Warren backfires on GOP.
Silencing Elizabeth Warren backfires on Senate GOP - CNNPolitics.com

Washington (CNN)The Senate has silenced Elizabeth Warren.

And by doing so, majority Republicans just handed the liberal firebrand a megaphone -- further elevating President Donald Trump's fiercest and most prominent critic in the Senate and turning her into a Democratic hero.

SNIP

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted," the Kentucky Republican said on the Senate floor, delivering an instantly classic line -- the kind liberals imagine being replayed ad nauseum in TV ads in a future presidential campaign.

It couldn't have come at a better time for Warren, who is up for re-election in 2018. On Tuesday, she announced she hired an aide who is an expert on national security, a move that could help burnish her expertise in that area, as well as the publication of a new book, which will become available in April.

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Warren was reading a 1986 letter by Coretta Scott King about Sessions.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

Watch a clip of the exchange above.

More: Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

No one cares what some old lying hag, warren, has to say about kings opinion which she was speculating. Did the 3/89 native mention this?

In AL, Sessions Got Death Penalty for KKK Murderer | RealClearPolitics

The damn letter was 20 years old, and was nothing but an attempt at Obstruction and Character Assassination.
Benghazi

And by doing so, majority Republicans just handed the liberal firebrand a megaphone -- further elevating President Donald Trump's fiercest and most prominent critic in the Senate and turning her into a Democratic hero.

SNIP

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted," the Kentucky Republican said on the Senate floor, delivering an instantly classic line -- the kind liberals imagine being replayed ad nauseum in TV ads in a future presidential campaign.

It couldn't have come at a better time for Warren, who is up for re-election in 2018. On Tuesday, she announced she hired an aide who is an expert on national security, a move that could help burnish her expertise in that area, as well as the publication of a new book, which will become available in April.

CNN????

ROFLMAO

In the letter, King wrote that Sessions “used the power of his office as United States Attorney to intimidate and chill the free exercise of the ballot by citizens.” Among other things, Sessions attempted to “intimidate and frighten elderly black voters,” King added.

McConnell said that, by quoting Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, Warren “impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama.” He then invoked Rule 19 to force Warren to stop speaking.

The rule is intended to encourage senators to be polite to each other. But McConnell used it squelch debate about a man nominated to be the next Attorney General of the United States.

More: Elizabeth Warren was just silenced on the Senate floor. Her crime was quoting Coretta Scott King.

Unbelievable!

The exact same evidence used in the 80's that led to Sessions not getting a federal judgeship. It was relevant then and it's just as relevant now given the scope of cases the AG will need to oversee.
How far we have fallen.
that letter was not evidence it was the opinion of one woman

Try again.
Jeff Sessions, Trump’s Pick for Attorney General, Is a Fierce Opponent of Civil Rights

Benghazi

SNIP

CNN????

ROFLMAO
Maybe I meant CSPAN.

Who cares, they are all fake news, and all phucked in the head lying liberals.

The Libtards are just angry that Sessions went after their favorite organization "The KKK" sued them, prosecuted them and won.

So this is payback by The Elitist Racist Dem Party Leadership trying to simply derail all cabinet positions because they are Obstructionists and sore losers.

Well, seems like the GOP is tired of trying to treat Dems like Adults.
Too bad they aren't allowed to paddle children in The Senate.

Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

16602970_1692148950796076_626794431366469042_n.png
170208-senate-republicans-racist-sexist_zpsxkgiocfo.jpg
Poor Lizzy.

They're picking on her cuz she's a girl.
They would have let her read it if she had been in her squaw headdress.

That is a broad overreach

Both documents are a matter of public record from distinguished citizens and are directly related to Sessions fitness for the office he seeks

Do Republicans really think sessions record is off limits just because he is a Senator?
That isn't his record.
It is an opinion of one person that is unsubstantiated. I think we should stop using articles derived from a biased source as evidence and stick to the facts.

It is part of his record

Both documents are public record pertaining to his fitness for office

How can you have a Senate Confirmation hearing without being allowed to provide negative information on the candidate?
cause there are rules. learn something for a change.

dude, you can't yell bomb on a plane. and there is a first amendment right?

Kind of a flakey "rule" that you can't say anything about a Senator who is up for confirmation in another job
so you don't believe in rules? I actually believe you don't.

Well, sparky, if rules matter - why was a male Senator allowed to read the letter on the Senate floor?

LATER: GOP Lets Another Dem Read Letter On Senate Floor

Only Difference? It Was A Man This Time

Forum List

Back