EMT refuses to help dying woman because she is on coffee break gets off scott free

Well, we now have good examples of why so few are willing to become EMT's. When it comes to "Monday morning quarterbacking" suddenly everybody's a friggin expert. Whine all you like, I can find nothing that we actually know about that she should have done differently.

"...basic CPR training..... open the air way".

We aren't given any information to indicate this might have helped and unnecessary CPR can be dangerous, even deadly-especially on a pregnant woman? First rule: "Do no harm".

So....not even showing compassion is needed, eh? Kinda like that woman in NYC oodles of years ago that was murdered and not one person who heard and saw it, did a damn thing. I thought a new law was passed that if you are in a position to help someone, you are supposed to? Or was that dumped because humans know longer understand humanity?

In the real world attempting to "show compassion" has killed far more people than it's ever saved. Besides, what makes you think there weren't 47 people already crowded around "showing compassion" as is usually the case?

"I thought a new law was passed that if you are in a position to help someone, you are supposed to"?

The point is that we are given no reason to believe there was anything she should or could have done that would have helped other than call an ambulance-which she did. EMT's are not doctors and even doctors cannot know for sure what is wrong with someone just by looking at them. Even if EMT's could there is not much they can do without medications or instruments which-most often-they are forbidden to use without specific authorization. If an ambulance that has those things and radio contact to a doctor is just minutes away it would be stupid-and legally liable- to act on a wild guess.

Charges Dropped Against Melissa, EMT Who Refused Care to Dying Pregnant Woman When on Coffee Break | Fox News Insider

TNB! At least her piece of shit boyfriend got what he deserved...he was shot a few months after the incident...:) Lets hope she gets that lucky...

You are truly a piece of shit. What exactly did she do wrong (other than being black) that you would celebrate her boyfriend getting killed? Or wishing harm for her? She did call for help. What else would you expect an EMT without equipment to do?

You serious??? all you need iis a razor knife and a ball point pen hell I even know this.....last resort though, but the bktch did nothing, where in the story does it say she called 9/11?
Perform a Tracheotomy - wikiHow

Last edited:
Well, we now have good examples of why so few are willing to become EMT's. When it comes to "Monday morning quarterbacking" suddenly everybody's a friggin expert. Whine all you like, I can find nothing that we actually know about that she should have done differently.

We aren't given any information to indicate this might have helped and unnecessary CPR can be dangerous, even deadly-especially on a pregnant woman? First rule: "Do no harm".

I did not say preform CPR. I said..... basic CPR training.... you learn how to open an airway.

So you are saying helping to put someone in a position that would optimize the intake of air is going to harm someone who is having breathing difficulties?

So....not even showing compassion is needed, eh? Kinda like that woman in NYC oodles of years ago that was murdered and not one person who heard and saw it, did a damn thing. I thought a new law was passed that if you are in a position to help someone, you are supposed to? Or was that dumped because humans know longer understand humanity?

In the real world attempting to "show compassion" has killed far more people than it's ever saved. Besides, what makes you think there weren't 47 people already crowded around "showing compassion" as is usually the case?

"I thought a new law was passed that if you are in a position to help someone, you are supposed to"?

The point is that we are given no reason to believe there was anything she should or could have done that would have helped other than call an ambulance-which she did. EMT's are not doctors and even doctors cannot know for sure what is wrong with someone just by looking at them. Even if EMT's could there is not much they can do without medications or instruments which-most often-they are forbidden to use without specific authorization. If an ambulance that has those things and radio contact to a doctor is just minutes away it would be stupid-and legally liable- to act on a wild guess.

Oh god we are becoming a nation of dumb ass's and just walk on by... of course you can kill someone by trying to save them fucking doctors do it all the time. I could give a shit about a lawsuit if someone is dying I will do anyhing possible so they dont die on me that place/ that time/that day...and yes I have used my instincts and boy scouts/ company first responder training a few times in my life..

So you're stating that EMT/Dispatchers work their jobs carrying, and can administer Albuterol off duty?

How many asthmatics do you know? Every single one of them I have ever met has multiple inhalers, and always has one of them with them. As for administering it, I could do it, the hardest part is getting the person to breathe.

I was asthmatic for a while as a teenager/young adult. I almost never carried my inhalers. Probably should have though.

I bet your mother always had one with her.

But you are correct, kids are less attentive to dangers.

You think CPR after she stopped breathing might have been classified as unnecessary? Want to try thinking that through, and then explaining it?

Everything I have ever read says that performing CPR on a person who is not breathing is always a good idea.

Everything I have ever read says that performing CPR on a person who is not breathing is always a good idea.

No shit thats the first thing you do...and then you have to think quick...or they will die... the first person I ever saved in my life she was 10 I was 12 years old... long story short was at the play ground with my brother. it was winter...she was playing on the jungle gym.. she jumped and her scarf got caught on a bar she was being strangled....my 3 friends ran over and two of us picked her up why the 3rd untangled her.... they called us "Heros" in the local paper. nah, we just did the right thing...

No shit thats the first thing you do...and then you have to think quick...or they will die... the first person I ever saved in my life she was 10 I was 12 years old... long story short was at the play ground with my brother. it was winter...she was playing on the jungle gym.. she jumped and her scarf got caught on a bar she was being strangled....my 3 friends ran over and two of us picked her up why the 3rd untangled her.... they called us "Heros" in the local paper. nah, we just did the right thing...

the difference is you were not on a union break.

Charges Dropped Against Melissa, EMT Who Refused Care to Dying Pregnant Woman When on Coffee Break | Fox News Insider

TNB! At least her piece of shit boyfriend got what he deserved...he was shot a few months after the incident...:) Lets hope she gets that lucky...

You are truly a piece of shit. What exactly did she do wrong (other than being black) that you would celebrate her boyfriend getting killed? Or wishing harm for her? She did call for help. What else would you expect an EMT without equipment to do?

You serious??? all you need iis a razor knife and a ball point pen hell I even know this.....last resort though, but the bktch did nothing, where in the story does it say she called 9/11?

From the link: "...was having a severe asthma attack. Jackson called an ambulance..."

You don't know what you think you do. Run around cutting people's throats because they are having an asthma attack and you'll land behind bars, and rightly so. Read. Think.

From the link: "...was having a severe asthma attack. Jackson called an ambulance..."

You don't know what you think you do. Run around cutting people's throats because they are having an asthma attack and you'll land behind bars, and rightly so. Read. Think.

This is the same guy that thinks CPR is contraindicated when someone is not breathing and has no pulse.

I did not say preform CPR. I said..... basic CPR training.... you learn how to open an airway.

So you are saying helping to put someone in a position that would optimize the intake of air is going to harm someone who is having breathing difficulties?

Hyperextending the head of a person who has a broken neck can kill them.

So can an asthma attack.

The law requires ambulance drivers to respond to a person in distress. It doesn't say a dispatcher in uniform on a coffee break with no equipment is responsible for the death of a person suffering from an asthma attack.

oh please.

gently tilt the chin up.... Any boy scout who has his CPR badge can do it.

Last edited:

You think CPR after she stopped breathing might have been classified as unnecessary? Want to try thinking that through, and then explaining it?

We were not told she stopped breathing.
The first thing CPR training teaches is that you do not preform it if the person is breathing and has a pulse.

oh please.

Great. The problem is that is not going to help a person who really is having an asthma attack. Been there; done that and I was a certified CPR instructor.

If you know first aid, I expect you to lend a hand. She should have been made to help.

I disagree. Nobody should be made to help anyone. They should be called out for the pieces of shit that they are though. For the rest of her life this woman will live with what she did, or didn't do. I hope she enjoyed her coffee. :cool:

Did you see the interview with the EMT? She was angry, hostile and very happy with her decision. It's one she would make again.

Maybe she's one of those people who are incapable of caring about others. Someone said she'd have to live with this and that will be punishment enough, but without a conscience, she'll live with it quite well.

There are things she could have done, but chose not to. It's possible she chose to be a dispatcher because she isn't good at rendering care. Not all who pass the EMT course are good at it. She sounds so angry that people thought she should help. That is what bugs me. Some would at least feel bad if there was nothing they were able to do. Did she sit drinking her coffee while the woman suffered?

Last edited:
oh please.

Great. The problem is that is not going to help a person who really is having an asthma attack. Been there; done that and I was a certified CPR instructor.

been there done that too.... and i have asthma.

So you've had an EMT without meds or equipment save your life during an asthma attack?
How?

Forum List

Back