EMT refuses to help dying woman because she is on coffee break gets off scott free

Great. The problem is that is not going to help a person who really is having an asthma attack. Been there; done that and I was a certified CPR instructor.

been there done that too.... and i have asthma.

So you've had an EMT without meds or equipment save your life during an asthma attack?
How?

that is not what i am saying at all

i am saying..... she was on her union break...... and she did the ..."im on my break...get someone else to help" .....

my point is... she did nothing.

Should she be prosecuted for that... no
Should she lose her job for that... in my opinion yes.
Is she a piece of shit human being.... YES.

so question for you too..... since you claim some training.

if you were in that very same situation... would you have gone into the back room to see if you could do something...anything... to help?

Or would you have walked away?

Great. The problem is that is not going to help a person who really is having an asthma attack. Been there; done that and I was a certified CPR instructor.

So you've had an EMT without meds or equipment save your life during an asthma attack?
How?

Having the person sit and lean forward while holding their arms up can ease breathing. It doesn't always work, but a shame that nothing was even tried.

Well, we now have good examples of why so few are willing to become EMT's. When it comes to "Monday morning quarterbacking" suddenly everybody's a friggin expert. Whine all you like, I can find nothing that we actually know about that she should have done differently.

"...basic CPR training..... open the air way".

We aren't given any information to indicate this might have helped and unnecessary CPR can be dangerous, even deadly-especially on a pregnant woman? First rule: "Do no harm".

You think CPR after she stopped breathing might have been classified as unnecessary? Want to try thinking that through, and then explaining it?

We were not told she stopped breathing.
The first thing CPR training teaches is that you do not preform it if the person is breathing and has a pulse.

She is dead, so did they need to say that she quit breathing?

Well, we now have good examples of why so few are willing to become EMT's. When it comes to "Monday morning quarterbacking" suddenly everybody's a friggin expert. Whine all you like, I can find nothing that we actually know about that she should have done differently.

"...basic CPR training..... open the air way".

We aren't given any information to indicate this might have helped and unnecessary CPR can be dangerous, even deadly-especially on a pregnant woman? First rule: "Do no harm".

You think CPR after she stopped breathing might have been classified as unnecessary? Want to try thinking that through, and then explaining it?

The first thing CPR training teaches is that you do not preform it if the person is breathing and has a pulse.

Unless she kept breathing after she died your argument makes absolutely no sense.

How?

i am saying..... she was on her union break...... and she did the ..."im on my break...get someone else to help" .....

if you were in that very same situation... would you have gone into the back room to see if you could do something...anything... to help?

And my point is that we don't know enough about the situation to say for a fact that there was anything other than what she did do that she should have done. Yes, if she stopped breathing further action would have been required-but we don't know that that happened. We don't actually know anything except that someone thinks she was having an asthma attack. We don't know what had already been done or if anyone was already trying to help the patient. The fact that action was not been taken makes me tend to believe that all is not as it has been portrayed. In any case I'm not willing to 2nd guess without facts.

And yes I had an asthma patient go bad and I had meds. and equipment available along with a doctor on the phone. The doctor ordered meds. that were ineffective and the patient arrested. I did CPR for about an hour and a half until we were able to get the patient to a hospital ER. There he was defibulated and he regained a heartbeat and he was placed on a respirator. He died a couple of days later anyway.

How?

And my point is that we don't know enough about the situation to say for a fact that there was anything other than what she did do that she should have done. Yes, if she stopped breathing further action would have been required-but we don't know that that happened. We don't actually know anything except that someone thinks she was having an asthma attack. We don't know what had already been done or if anyone was already trying to help the patient. The fact that action was not been taken makes me tend to believe that all is not as it has been portrayed. In any case I'm not willing to 2nd guess without facts.

And yes I had an asthma patient go bad and I had meds. and equipment available along with a doctor on the phone. The doctor ordered meds. that were ineffective and the patient arrested. I did CPR for about an hour and a half until we were able to get the patient to a hospital ER. There he was defibulated and he regained a heartbeat and he was placed on a respirator. He died a couple of days later anyway.

lol... so what you are saying is you would have helped when asked.... break or not.

so as i have said all along

it comes down to she was on her union break.... and don't ask anyone to do anything on their union break.

She never went to the "back room" to even see if there was anything to do, or NOT to do..... simple as that.

and that makes her a piece of shit sorry excuse of a human being.

"...and ended up dying."

Is it really necessary to point out that "dying" and "dead" are two very different conditions?

"...and ended up dying."

Is it really necessary to point out that "dying" and "dead" are two very different conditions?

They are different words, not different conditions.

"...and ended up dying."

Wrong.
Do you think you know anyone who isn't dying?

Sigh.

Here is what the article said.

Eutisha Rennix was six months pregnant at the time and ended up dying.

Feel free to explain the difference between dead and dying as it was used here.

Wrong.

Sigh.

The op link tells us that she had an asthma attack at the coffee shop.
It also tells that she ended up dying.
It doesn't NOT tell us that she died at the coffee shop-dead people don't have asthma attacks-nor does it tell when she died. For all the information we are given she could well have died in a hospital ICU days later.

Wrong.

Sigh.

It doesn't NOT tell us that she died at the coffee shop-dead people don't have asthma attacks-nor does it tell when she died. For all the information we are given she could well have died in a hospital ICU days later.

If you can't answer the question just say so.

If you wanted an answer you wouldn't ignore it when it is given. Grow up.

You answered the question? Maybe I missed it, let me go back and look.

The question: Here is what the article said.

The (alleged) answer.

Nothing in there about the difference between dead and dying as it was used in the sentence I quoted.

Like I said, if you can't answer the question just say so. I will add that pretending I asked something else in order to make yourself look incredibly stupid rarely reflects well on the person doing it.

I am surprised by this story.

I am not a trained EMT and have very little even first aid training, but I cannot imagine her not going into the room to at least do whatever I could to help even if it was only CPR. There has to be more to this story than is being told.

This is truly a sad story, but not one that I believe we are receiving the entire story and clearly the focus of "she was on a coffee break" is sensationalism at its worst.

Immie

There are, quite probably, a number of things that the EMT-Dispatcher could have done, in order to settle the patient down and buy her some more time until better-equipped help arrived, from the obvious (inhaler, airway clearance, etc.) to more radical stuff like an emergency tracheotomy if a closed airway was the problem, over-and-above giving emotional comfort to a badly distressed pregnant mother-to-be...

They DO still teach EMT's how to perform trach's, don't they?

Personal opinion: even if she didn't technically break the law, this POS EMT-Tech needs to be sent back down to the minors for some refresher training in Basic Humanity, Ethics, and Having-a-Heart. She is scum. May she rot as a pariah in her chosen profession.

Last edited:

I am not a trained EMT and have very little even first aid training, but I cannot imagine her not going into the room to at least do whatever I could to help even if it was only CPR. There has to be more to this story than is being told.

This is truly a sad story, but not one that I believe we are receiving the entire story and clearly the focus of "she was on a coffee break" is sensationalism at its worst.

Immie

have you ever asked a union worker to do something on their union break? The answer is .... find someone else, i am on my break.

i believe every word of it..... especially considering her responses since the charges were dropped.

There are, quite probably, a number of things that the EMT-Dispatcher could have done, in order to settle the patient down and buy her some more time until better-equipped help arrived, from the obvious (inhaler, airway clearance, etc.) to more radical stuff like an emergency tracheotomy if a closed airway was the problem, over-and-above giving emotional comfort to a badly distressed pregnant mother-to-be...

They DO still teach EMT's how to perform trach's, don't they?

Personal opinion: even if she didn't technically break the law, this POS EMT-Tech needs to be sent back down to the minors for some refresher training in Basic Humanity, Ethics, and Having-a-Heart...

A tracheotomy would not have helped an asthma attack. And asthma attack is something going on within the lungs themselves....not a blocked airway.

i agree... she did not have to help

Her NOT helping makes her a low life piece of shit

Immie

have you ever asked a union worker to do something on their union break? The answer is .... find someone else, i am on my break.

i believe every word of it..... especially considering her responses since the charges were dropped.

As much as I dislike today's unions and the corrupt people that run them, the individuals in unions are human beings. I find it hard to believe that the vast majority would not lift a finger to save a life even if they were on a coffee break.

Immie

Forum List

Back