EMT refuses to help dying woman because she is on coffee break gets off scott free

The fact remains that there are times when "nothing" is exactly what should be done. There is nothing at all moral about the "do anything" argument. It should be obvious but if you don't know what you're doing you damn well shouldn't do it. You are many times more likely to cause harm than help and there is simply no excuse for that. Some of you guys would have cut the woman's throat to no purpose other than wanting to act like a TV hero.

As stated before, you are completely incorrect. The fact is, there is ONE thing that she should have done weather or not it actually changed anything – WALKED BACK THERE AND EVALUATED THE SITUATION. You keep harping on the fact that she could do nothing BUT the reality here is that she had no fucking clue that there was nothing that she could have done. In order for her to know that there was nothing to do, she would have had to take the time and bother to even LOOK at the woman, something that she refused to do. That is wrong and unlike syrenn, I actually believe it should be actionable as she was in uniform.

If she does not want the responsibility to bother and address the need of others then she should have never placed that uniform on her body. She is unfit for it.

So she IS actually a EMT/Dispatcher who called (dispatched) an ambulance. Why would she be arrested? What kind of care can an EMT give for a breathing problem without equipment?

If you know first aid, I expect you to lend a hand. She should have been made to help.

I disagree. Nobody should be made to help anyone. They should be called out for the pieces of shit that they are though. For the rest of her life this woman will live with what she did, or didn't do. I hope she enjoyed her coffee. :cool:
Yes, they should be ‘made’ to help if they willingly take on that responsibility. When she took that job, attended the training, accepted the pay, placed that uniform on and went into public with it she had accepted her responsibilities. When push came to shove though, she ignored the part of her responsibility that actually required her to do something.
The law requires ambulance drivers to respond to a person in distress. It doesn't say a dispatcher in uniform on a coffee break with no equipment is responsible for the death of a person suffering from an asthma attack.
No one claimed she is responsible for her death. What she is responsible for is REFUSING to act after taking on the responsibilities of an EMT.
Good. She did nothing wrong.
Yes, she did.

"...If she does not want the responsibility to bother and address the need of others then she should have never placed that uniform on her body. She is unfit for it."
Agreed.

And, as I've said before, if the EMT's in that State are bound by some kind of Oath to Protect and Preserve Life, etc., or related Code of Ethics or Code of Conduct, perhaps, if the State cannot nail her on Walking-Away charges (as they tried, and as they could with anyone who was actively practicing EMT work rather than just dispatching), then perhaps the State's Department of Professional Licensing (or whatever they call it) can look into revoking her EMT Certification or License for violating the Oath or Code of Ethics or Code of Conduct...

Conduct unbecoming...

main-qimg-459ba67fee26882223793ceea026303e

( DA-WT )

Drummed out of of the service...

Dishonorably discharged...

A pariah within her profession, forevermore...

A 'just' outcome...

Last edited:
The fact remains that there are times when "nothing" is exactly what should be done. There is nothing at all moral about the "do anything" argument. It should be obvious but if you don't know what you're doing you damn well shouldn't do it. You are many times more likely to cause harm than help and there is simply no excuse for that. Some of you guys would have cut the woman's throat to no purpose other than wanting to act like a TV hero.

Asthma attacks are not one of those times.

Then in your considered opinion what should the EMT have done?

Since you just claimed to be a medic, lets assume you came across someone having difficulty breathing, wheezing, lips turning blue, etc. What would you do? Finish your coffee break, or ask her about an inhaler, make sure she was sitting up so she could breathe better, and all the other things EMTs are trained to do in emergencies?

Like I said, I know people with asthma. I actually lived with a person with asthma once, so I know exactly what I am supposed to do in an emergency. If all else fails, ask the other people in the shop if anyone has an inhaler.

Want to keep pretending you are smarter than anyone else, and that there was nothing anyone could do but stand around and watch her die?

Asthma attacks are not one of those times.

Since you just claimed to be a medic, lets assume you came across someone having difficulty breathing, wheezing, lips turning blue, etc. What would you do? Finish your coffee break, or ask her about an inhaler, make sure she was sitting up so she could breathe better, and all the other things EMTs are trained to do in emergencies?

Like I said, I know people with asthma. I actually lived with a person with asthma once, so I know exactly what I am supposed to do in an emergency. If all else fails, ask the other people in the shop if anyone has an inhaler.

Want to keep pretending you are smarter than anyone else, and that there was nothing anyone could do but stand around and watch her die?

What is sad is that the EMT in the article did not even do that. She did not even go in to see for sure what the problem was, maybe the woman that died had something caught in her throat and the Heimlick maneuver would have easily saved her life.

Immie

What is sad is that the EMT in the article did not even do that. She did not even go in to see for sure what the problem was, maybe the woman that died had something caught in her throat and the Heimlick maneuver would have easily saved her life.

Immie

Which is exactly the point, doing absolutely nothing is never the right thing, even if the best answer is to leave the person alone. you have to look before you can make a determination.

It is so weird when people get convicted for so many things they didn't do, while someone blatantly screws up and doesn't get a thing. A coffee break? Really? It makes me wonder if EMTs are getting desensitized and might need scheduled time off...

There was a case over here recently, paramedics were called to an emergency but refused to show up because they were on a lunch break. The elderly woman who needed them died. In the paramedics defense, they are treated like shit, and had worked for 18 hours straight, but at the same time, you are the only ones around who can help, forget your lunch break and go and lend a hand - the lady died because of them.

Let me get this right.
A woman, who was first aid trained, called an ambulance.
She didn't have an ambulance full of medical equipment in her back pocket so, unlike if it had been MacGyver with a penknife, she could do shit all else so was pretty much helpless.

However, one poster here takes joy in her boyfriend, who was absolutely nothing to do with these events, being killed.
Clearly, AnCapAtheist has little clue what sick really is and, in my humble opinion, requires the assistance of a trained psychiatrist.

They should be charged with murder.

It would fall under negligent manslaughter, not murder. Fits the definition to a tee.
Negligent manslaughter legal definition of Negligent manslaughter. Negligent manslaughter synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
The essential distinction between the two offenses is that malice aforethought must be present for murder, whereas it must be absent for manslaughter.
They were negligent by refusing to respond to a call that they were required to. That is if that was a requirement and I assume from the info given that was the case. In the same manner, the woman in the op really falls under this as well IMHO. She was there and is a required responder. The ‘loophole’ that she was working dispatch at the time is asinine.

They should be charged with murder.

In answer to your signature who watches the Watchers.

The Cartels do. They don't like the Watchers so the Watchers had better Watch Out. That list of names is growing pretty long these days. lol...

-J.

Let me get this right.
She didn't have an ambulance full of medical equipment in her back pocket so, unlike if it had been MacGyver with a penknife, she could do shit all else so was pretty much helpless.

However, one poster here takes joy in her boyfriend, who was absolutely nothing to do with these events, being killed.
Clearly, AnCapAtheist has little clue what sick really is and, in my humble opinion, requires the assistance of a trained psychiatrist.

Which in your mind explains why everyone on this thread agrees with AnCapAtheist except yourself. Interesting, Fred.

- Jeri

Hang on.
A woman with a serious, life threatening medical condition got pregnant.
Was that responsible?

Let me get this right.

Which in your mind explains why everyone on this thread agrees with AnCapAtheist except yourself. Interesting, Fred.

- Jeri

You (The OP) are a very disturbed individual. I mourn for my country if a majority ever become like you and start taking joy in causing pain and death to others.

It seems, Jeremiah old chap, you may be guilty of a terminological inexactitude.

Your answer here is to blame the pregnant woman? Seriously? ! I can see why you don't agree with the people on this thread now!

You are missing a sensitivity chip in that brain of yours!

-Jeri

Your answer here is to blame the pregnant woman? Seriously? ! I can see why you don't agree with the people on this thread now!

You are missing a sensitivity chip in that brain of yours!

-Jeri

I didn't blame her; simply suggested she may not has been very wise or responsible to attempt a pregnancy whilst suffering from such a serious condition.

Perhaps you can explain why she wasn't irresponsible.

Forum List

Back