EPA to decide how cold your beer can be....

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
This is but one feather in the war bonnet of Big Brother Government. Tell me this big government has not gotten out of hand...I'll call you a loon.:cuckoo:

EPA Pushes Smart-Grid Connections For Refrigerators To Control Energy - Investors.com

Regulation: No longer the stuff of science fiction, a little-noticed change in energy-efficiency requirements for appliances could lead to government controlling the power used in your home and how you set your thermostat.

In a seemingly innocuous revision of its Energy Star efficiency requirements announced June 27, the Environmental Protection Agency included an "optional" requirement for a "smart-grid" connection for customers to electronically connect their refrigerators or freezers with a utility provider.

The feature lets the utility provider regulate the appliances' power consumption, "including curtailing operations during more expensive peak-demand times."

So far, manufacturers are not required to include the feature, only "encouraged," and consumers must still give permission to turn it on. But with the Obama administration's renewed focus on fighting mythical climate change, we expect it to become mandatory to save the planet from the perils of keeping your beer too cold.

So, I suppose the real lovers of a nice cold beer will have to go back to icing them down in coolers. I wonder just how many ice makers will be sold...and their efficiency is likely less than that of a refrigerator.

Last edited:
please merge this with Wehrwolfen's thread...or delete it completely. I didn't notice his until I posted...and I can't delete it myself.

Thank you. I will endeavor to be more careful in the future.

Forum List

Back