EV's are the future

I will drive an ICE vehicle until I die. No electric cars. No hybrids. Mini hydrogen cars. Hell, I’ll walk before I buy some newfangled vehicle.

As the batteries get better and cheaper, by 2025, the EV's will achieve price parity with ICE's, and from then on, it will be all downhill for the ICE's. Because the EV's require far less maintenance, cost far less per mile to run, and you can even make you own fuel for them with some solar panels. Plus they out perform ICE's in acceleration. Proof of that is that Ford is now building E-mustangs and E-150's. And virtually every other manufacture is adding EV''s to their product line. With more utilities encouraging VPP's, that will be even more incentive for owning an EV.
's,
We'd have to double electrical generation and distribution system to fully replace gasoline.
No, we will not. We will have to increase electrical supply, and that can be done easily and relatively cheaply. VPP's for urban areas and agrisolar for rural areas.
Do the math. Google gasoline consumption and convert that volume into BTU's then convert the current electrical generation number into BTU's and compare the two numbers. Since those two numbers are about the same, we would have to double our electric generation capability. It's simple math.

As the batteries get better and cheaper, by 2025, the EV's will achieve price parity with ICE's, and from then on, it will be all downhill for the ICE's. Because the EV's require far less maintenance, cost far less per mile to run, and you can even make you own fuel for them with some solar panels. Plus they out perform ICE's in acceleration. Proof of that is that Ford is now building E-mustangs and E-150's. And virtually every other manufacture is adding EV''s to their product line. With more utilities encouraging VPP's, that will be even more incentive for owning an EV.
's,
I really like EVs. My screen name is based on the fact that I have engineered an built EVs, so I am fully aware of all of their merits. Without a doubt, electric propulsion is superior to ICE, but I don't see a plausible path to an all electric future.

's,
We'd have to double electrical generation and distribution system to fully replace gasoline.
No, we will not. We will have to increase electrical supply, and that can be done easily and relatively cheaply. VPP's for urban areas and agrisolar for rural areas.
I'm not saying it cannot be done. I am merely pointing out the magnitude of the scope change.

The future is now.

No, that is the present. And as far as EVs "acceleration," that'll be all shits and giggles until you have to drive in the snow or even wet roads, and you can't get any traction, or worse, you lose control and wreck.
Do try to keep up with technology. Tesla has traction control that makes driving in slick conditions much better.
Far inferior to my Hemi powered Jeep for towing a trailer in blizzard conditions, not to mention the lack of charging ability in rural nowhere land.
Pretty much useless to folks like me

's,
I really like EVs. My screen name is based on the fact that I have engineered an built EVs, so I am fully aware of all of their merits. Without a doubt, electric propulsion is superior to ICE, but I don't see a plausible path to an all electric future.
I see a mix, with more urbanites using them, while rural folks and the construction trades still use ICE for towing trailers to multiple sites and longer commutes.
There will be no all electric scenario for quite some time.

's,

If they could figure out Tesla's theory for broadcasting electrical power EV's would instantly take over.

No huge battery required anymore, just a small one to power through dead zones and an antenna.

If they could figure out Tesla's theory for broadcasting electrical power EV's would instantly take over.
No huge battery required anymore, just a small one to power through dead zones and an antenna.

1622479576311.png

The solution is really pretty simple. All EVs need is a tether to the power source, either an overhead power rail, or one in the street, and EVs are good to go!

Gasoline is a storehouse of POTENTIAL energy. The gas tank holds an enormous amount of energy looking to be released. The problem with electric cars is there is no potential source for stored electricity in a latent form, so they try to save up actual live electricity as a saved DC potential in a storage battery.

@westwall No, it can't. To power the fleets of EV's you claim are going to take over the world, you would need to build over 50 fossil fuel power plants, next year. And the same number the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Solar and wind can't do the job no matter how much propaganda you believe.

Nuclear could...but that's a non-starter.

The solution is really pretty simple. All EVs need is a tether to the power source, either an overhead power rail, or one in the street, and EVs are good to go!

Gasoline is a storehouse of POTENTIAL energy. The gas tank holds an enormous amount of energy looking to be released. The problem with electric cars is there is no potential source for stored electricity in a latent form, so they try to save up actual live electricity as a saved DC potential in a storage battery.
Electric propulsion is a great option in an automobile, like a leather interior or sport package is, but it isn't any more practical or green.

@westwall No, it can't. To power the fleets of EV's you claim are going to take over the world, you would need to build over 50 fossil fuel power plants, next year. And the same number the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Why? Nuclear is the solution (molten salt reactor).

Why? Nuclear is the solution (molten salt reactor).
Because the NIMBY and BANANA idiots hear the word "nuclear", and immediately shriek, "THE SKY IS FALLING!" while shitting their pants.

Electric propulsion is a great option in an automobile, like a leather interior or sport package is, but it isn't any more practical or green.

Electric propulsion would be a great option for highway cruising in a hybrid car. The fact that the auto industry is trying to leapfrog over the next logical step of incorporating some electric drive in a hybrid system, instead going straight to full electric instead, tells me the decision is political and the consumer is getting screwed.

I can't see EV's being very popular in the northern states of the country.
Because in the winter time when temperatures get into 30 degrees and below. Battery efficiency and driving range falls by about 50% and is even worse if you use the car's heater to keep warm. Plus, if there is a power grid outage, you just have an expensive lump of metal on four wheels setting on the driveway.
Whereas, an ICE car has self contained stored energy in the form of gasoline or diesel, that is ready to start and drive regardless of the ambient temperature. ... :cool:

Because in the winter time when temperatures get into 30 degrees and below. Battery efficiency and driving range falls by about 50% and is even worse if you use the car's heater to keep warm. Plus, if there is a power grid outage, you just have an expensive lump of metal on four wheels setting on the driveway.
Whereas, an ICE car has self contained stored energy in the form of gasoline or diesel, that is ready to start and drive regardless of the ambient temperature. ... :cool:

1. Local power outage.
  2. Extreme cold and long winters.
  3. Heavy towing.
  4. Long distance traveling.
  5. Dump trucks.
  6. Construction vehicles.
  7. Semi trucking.
  8. Jet/airline transportation.
  9. Shipping.
  10. Plowing.
Ten areas where EVs will be a long time in coming, if ever. The poor consumer is the guinea pig yet again under the thumb of big government. (Took trains out for plowing as obviously, trains already are and can be electrically driven)

Last edited:

1. Local power outage.
  2. Extreme cold and long winters.
  3. Heavy towing.
  4. Long distance traveling.
  5. Dump trucks.
  6. Construction vehicles.
  7. Semi trucking.
  8. Jet/airline transportation.
  9. Shipping.
  10. Trains.
Ten areas where EVs will be a long time in coming, if ever. The poor consumer is the guinea pig yet again under the thumb of big government.

Trains can actually be powered by electricity without too much problem. That is one area where I think you are wrong.

Forum List

Back