EV's are the future

About 15 years ago I lived in Florida when it was hit by a category 4 hurricane.
My electric power was down for about a week. I was lucky because many people had no power for 2 or 3 weeks, some even a month or longer.
Like most people, I filled up my car with a full tank of gas before the hurricane hit. So I was in good shape, and could still go to my job and help get the factory where I worked cleaned up and the damage repaired.
Within a week the National Guard brought in huge generators and supplied power to the gas stations so people could fill up their gas tanks.
(but you could only pay with cash money because the credit card terminals remained down. There's a lesson there for everyone to heed)
Sure there was a long line to fill up your car. But the line went fast because filling the tank on an ICE car only takes about 5 minutes or less.
If that same hurricane disaster happened today, and all you owned to drive was an EV.
You'd be up ____ creek, without a paddle. ... :cool:

Last edited:
We’ll be taking on the Wisconsin winter again this year with two EVs. The battery can quit in bitter cold. Batteries on both EVs will now be heated by a rechargeable lithium-ion electric blanket wrapped around the battery, placed in an insulated compartment which is placed inside another insulated compartment. Since there is sunlight into December, solar panels will recharge the blanket when possible.
The addition of an electric trike will provide much more stability in ice and snow than a bicycle.

#61: No, EV recharging stations of the future will vend pre-charged batteries, eliminating the need for waiting. Being modular, even petite women will be able to handle one battery module at a time, depending on how many modules one wants or needs for (a certain amount of mileage [italics]).

I can't see EV's being very popular in the northern states of the country.
Because in the winter time when temperatures get into 30 degrees and below. Battery efficiency and driving range falls by about 50% and is even worse if you use the car's heater to keep warm. Plus, if there is a power grid outage, you just have an expensive lump of metal on four wheels setting on the driveway.
Whereas, an ICE car has self contained stored energy in the form of gasoline or diesel, that is ready to start and drive regardless of the ambient temperature. ... :cool:

1. Local power outage.
  2. Extreme cold and long winters.
  3. Heavy towing.
  4. Long distance traveling.
  5. Dump trucks.
  6. Construction vehicles.
  7. Semi trucking.
  8. Jet/airline transportation.
  9. Shipping.
  10. Trains.
Ten areas where EVs will be a long time in coming, if ever. The poor consumer is the guinea pig yet again under the thumb of big government.

Trains can actually be powered by electricity without too much problem. That is one area where I think you are wrong.
Only with the use of (expensive) overhead power. Electrifying all ~130,000 miles of rail in the US is, at best, impractical.

#6: You can pay attention to the possibility of establishing lithium recycling facilities in the U.S. that will eliminate child labor and much dependence on communist Chinese goods. When one owns the solar panels and electric motor to propel the body, there is practically no cost, including maintenance.

Because in the winter time when temperatures get into 30 degrees and below. Battery efficiency and driving range falls by about 50% and is even worse if you use the car's heater to keep warm. Plus, if there is a power grid outage, you just have an expensive lump of metal on four wheels setting on the driveway.
Whereas, an ICE car has self contained stored energy in the form of gasoline or diesel, that is ready to start and drive regardless of the ambient temperature. ... :cool:

1. Local power outage.
  3. Heavy towing.
  5. Dump trucks.
  7. Semi trucking.
  9. Shipping.
  10. Trains.
Ten areas where EVs will be a long time in coming, if ever. The poor consumer is the guinea pig yet again under the thumb of big government.

Trains can actually be powered by electricity without too much problem. That is one area where I think you are wrong.
Only with the use of (expensive) overhead power. Electrifying all ~130,000 miles of rail in the US is, at best, impractical.

No, you can build the power systems at ground level, the infamous third rail. It is expensive, but in the long run probably more efficient than the diesel electrics currently being used. I have never bothered to run the numbers so don't know for sure.

#61: No, EV recharging stations of the future will vend pre-charged batteries, eliminating the need for waiting. Being modular, even petite women will be able to handle one battery module at a time, depending on how many modules one wants or needs for (a certain amount of mileage [italics]).

Do you have any idea how big that "vending machine" would have to be? The current Tesla battery weighs 1200 pounds.

#6: You can pay attention to the possibility of establishing lithium recycling facilities in the U.S. that will eliminate child labor and much dependence on communist Chinese goods. When one owns the solar panels and electric motor to propel the body, there is practically no cost, including maintenance.

Yes, you can reuse the batteries, however you can only reuse about 50% of the material. The rest is merely toxic sludge. You do the math.

1. Local power outage.
  3. Heavy towing.
  5. Dump trucks.
  7. Semi trucking.
  9. Shipping.
  10. Trains.

No, you can build the power systems at ground level, the infamous third rail. It is expensive, but in the long run probably more efficient than the diesel electrics currently being used. I have never bothered to run the numbers so don't know for sure.

So...100,000+ miles of third rail...humming with high voltage, in isolated areas, totally unattended, where drunks, kids, and free-range animals can be blasted to carbon by 50,000 volts!

You have not thought this through. Third rails are used where access to the tracks by the public is extremely difficult. (Underground or elevated, usually.) If that is not the case, trains use overhead power.

Sure...let's open that lithium-battery recycling center next to your house!

Badger does not have all the answers, and is not afraid to stir the stew. Someone apparently has envisioned a recycling facility in their mind and it’s a monster.

1. Local power outage.
  3. Heavy towing.
  5. Dump trucks.
  7. Semi trucking.
  9. Shipping.
  10. Trains.

So...100,000+ miles of third rail...humming with high voltage, in isolated areas, totally unattended, where drunks, kids, and free-range animals can be blasted to carbon by 50,000 volts!

You have not thought this through. Third rails are used where access to the tracks by the public is extremely difficult. (Underground or elevated, usually.) If that is not the case, trains use overhead power.

Third rails, crossing Wyoming are not going to be a threat to anything but antelope. Surprisingly enough, they are smart, and figure those things out pretty quick. There are also safeguards that can be emplaced to seal the rail till the train is coming. The safeguard opens as the train passes over, then closes again. Technology is a wonderful thing.

And please note, I said it would be easy, not cheap.

When #69 gives a citation for the 50% recycling claim, we will add more info on lithium recycling.

Area #51: The fatal mistake of sucking on the Petroleum Pimp is that the fossil fuel is not renewable, it is a finite resource. Sooner or later, the party’s over. At least it is possible to recycle 100% of lithium.

Area #51: The fatal mistake of sucking on the Petroleum Pimp is that the fossil fuel is not renewable, it is a finite resource. Sooner or later, the party’s over. At least it is possible to recycle 100% of lithium.

By most estimates, there's enough natural gas to produce about 1.6 trillion barrels of oil. ... Still, the figure offers a hint at the extent of the world's reserves: more than all the petroleum ever consumed — roughly 830 billion barrels — and enough to fuel the world for some 60 years at current rates of consumption.May 31, 1999
Discover Magazine › ...
Why We'll Never Run Out of Oil | Discover Magazine

When modular batteries (each module is connected to another to make an entire battery) become automated via vending, the woman won’t have to do anything except a voyeur imitation. Not only batteries should be standardized, the method of installing them and taking them out should be standardized and automated. duh

#76-77: Yes, your article does state that it it knows the resource is finite, and 60 years is not a long time. On the other hand, the gas model, which was added to the fossil fuel model in the report, may be renewable. It’s like a Jones for heroin, always looking into the future “I’ve seen fire, I’ve seen rain....I always knew that I would see you again.” (James Taylor) Why does Homo sapiens never “tire” of performing environmentally nasty fellatio on the Superpimp and try something else for a change?

When #69 gives a citation for the 50% recycling claim, we will add more info on lithium recycling.

No problem. Badger should stop talking in the third person and actually do some of it's own research.

Lithium Ion Battery Recycling: Separating Fact from Fiction​

"First things first: The important thing to understand with these batteries is that even though they may contain materials that could be considered toxic or hazardous, the batteries are not exactly dangerous when they’re contained inside an electronic product (like when they’re inside a laptop, for example).

However, once you break down the electronics, the batteries that are now in the open can potentially be toxic to humans.
On average, about 50% of a lithium-ion battery can be recycled in an effective way.
This is especially true if they get exposed to dampness, heat, or accidental damage.

Every cell within a battery is a separate unit, but even if one of them gets damaged, this could cause a chain reaction. This would then lead to harmful metals leaking out.

Inhaling or otherwise coming into contact with metals like cobalt can cause very serious health problems.

That’s why battery recycling should be your first option for keeping your family safe."

Forum List

Back