Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

Why the govt combines UE with welfare I do not understand as there is monies provided by corporations to pay for UE, but any-way

$294.0 billion (+2.0%) - Unemployment and welfare

That is how much we spent in 2007 on an item that would be where if we had a living wage in this country above the level in which it would eliminate welfare

It would eliminate other things as well. Like jobs. There are many places the responsibility for providing for one's needs can come from. They can come from the individual. They can come from their employer via a living wage mandate or they can come from the government via welfare. All you are doing is shifting the responsibility of providing for your needs from government on to your employer. Why are you not willing to shift the burden of responsibility on to yourself?

States have their own minimum wage, the fed sets mim. wage standards so that companies like Walmart and other larger corporations don't get into the habit of paying someone $3.35 an hour and getting away with it. However, corporations still use discrimination tactics, even after the Ledbetter Law was signed into being. Ask any woman who works for big corporations and they'll tell you they're still underpaid compared to their male counterparts.
Now if you're here in the U.S.A. illegally, employers can pay you whatever the fuck they want to.
BTW, if anyone (righty) thinks a burger flipper can own a car, a home, and provide for a family on current wage standards, I know of some armadillo land in Texas near the N-head Perry ranch for sale. cheap.

States have their own minimum wage, the fed sets mim. wage standards so that companies like Walmart and other larger corporations don't get into the habit of paying someone $3.35 an hour and getting away with it. However, corporations still use discrimination tactics, even after the Ledbetter Law was signed into being. Ask any woman who works for big corporations and they'll tell you they're still underpaid compared to their male counterparts.
Now if you're here in the U.S.A. illegally, employers can pay you whatever the fuck they want to.
BTW, if anyone (righty) thinks a burger flipper can own a car, a home, and provide for a family on current wage standards, I know of some armadillo land in Texas near the N-head Perry ranch for sale. cheap.

Are you really going to vote for 4 more years of what the Obama legacy has brought us? are you a sadist?
THINK MAN, MY GOD THINK

I could live off of my current salary for the rest of my life, but I still want to move up in my company.

My comfort level is pretty high, but that doesn't eliminate my ambition.

Has it occurred to you that ambition is not a universal trait? It is not, as far as I can see, even a terribly common one. And, of course, not everyone has the SAME ambitions.

Ambition is relative. However, it's an interesting dilemma.

For the sake of discussion, what percentage of the population do you believe is as ambitious as I've indicated?

Ambition probably isn't the right word. Because yes ambition is relative. Good enough is good enough for a lot of people. The thing to discuss is potential. What percentage of the population has maxed out their potential earning capability? Determing how many are helps us determine whether someone else needs to be responsible for an individuals needs. If the large majority of people out there have maxed out their earning potential and there simply isn't any more they can do to earn more and that isn't enough to live on, then I could see an argument for a living wage. But based only on my own observations of everyone I've ever met, I can say that simply isn't the case. The bulk of the people I know and have met in life have not reached their full earning potential. And I would bet if you are honest with yourself you and everyone else on this thread would say the same about most of the peope they've ecountered. It doesn't make those people bad people. It simply means there were actions that could have been taken that would have yielded more income or a better financial position and for whatever reason they chose not to. That being the case I'm not sure why I, John Q Taxpayer, or some benevolent politician should be more concerned with improving an individuals financial positon than the individual themself.

Last edited:

But those who educate themselves, develop a good work ethic, credentials, references, and have a marketable skill set to qualify for a living wage seem to be able to own a car, a home, have nice things, and send their kids to college quite handily. I can look out over my own neighborhood at acre after acre after acre of homes all occupied by families who are doing just that. And we aren't a fancy smancy neighborhood of high value homes either are but mostly educators, entreprenours, and working class folks. But we all EARNED the wages we make and did not depend on the 'king' to dictate what we should have.

My god you lefites are idiots. (Pretty sure I'm accurate in labeling this guy a lefty this time given the avatar). Who ever said every job out there is supposed to pay enough for you to live on? Of course it's going to be tough to pay for a car and housing on a burger's flippers wage. No one ever suggested otherwise. Not that your idea of Wal-mart paying $3.35/hr if it could is even remotely realistic but if it were the only people who would be allowing them to 'get away with it' would be the people who AGREED to work for that amount. If the emplyer is fine with it and the employee is fine with $3.35/hr what fucking business is it of yours?

A living wage is what we used to have in this country when anyone with half an ounce of education, ambition, and drive could get themselves out of bed in the morning and go to job that actually paid enough to support the ideal of the American Dream.

Really? My wife who works for one of those woman hating, evil corporations makes about $25K more per year than I do.......and I'm the one with the degree. You might want to join the rest of us here in reality.

BTW, a burger flipping job isn't designed to support a family. Never has been, never will. If you are a married person with a family, house and car and you are flipping burgers, you made some really bad choices in life.

A living wage is what we used to have in this country when anyone with half an ounce of education, ambition, and drive could get themselves out of bed in the morning and go to job that actually paid enough to support the ideal of the American Dream.

We still have a living wage.....even a thriving wage, for people still willing to do that.

Too many people, too few jobs, and $14 trillion in debt hanging over our heads.

A recipe for disaster for sure.

What's your point? What benevolent god of the economy wrote in some book way back 'that's the way it's supposed to work'?

What's your point? What benevolent god of the economy wrote in some book way back 'that's the way it's supposed to work'?

My point?

Things used to be better. Now they're worse.

You can't argue that.

Too many people, too few jobs, and $14 trillion in debt hanging over our heads.

A recipe for disaster for sure.

The problem couldn't possibly be a shortage of skilled labor, could it? There are jobs out there. Lot's of them. Put a profile on career builder or monster or any industry website that sends out information on new job openings and watch your inbox flood.

My point?

You can't argue that.

No. Things are different. What worked then doesn't work now. Adapt.

For most of us with an education, ambition, and drive, we still get ourselves out of bed in the morning and go to a job that pays enough to support us quite nicely.

Those who want the government to do that for them aren't faring as well these days.

My point?

You can't argue that.

Mr Clean whats happen to you?

If you aspire to be the best burger flipper in the world, you will not be a burger flipper for long. That still does not mean you should not make enough while your doing it to pay your bills does it?

If you aspire to be the best burger flipper in the world, you will not be a burger flipper for long. That still does not mean you should not make enough while your doing it to pay your bills does it?

If you want to pay the bills being a burger flipper, no matter how good you are at it, you better be working for the most upscale burger place in the world. Demand and get a wage more than it is worth to the owner of the burger joint, however, and you won't have a job for long. If the government forces the issue, the burger joint will likely not stay in business for long and nobody will have a job at any amount.

Smart people work for burger joints because they don't need to make a lot of money and they ENJOY working for the burger joint - or - they are building a work ethic, and references to qualify for something better. Stupid people work there even though they hate it and don't make enough money because they simply have not qualified themselves to do anything else.

If you want to pay the bills being a burger flipper, no matter how good you are at it, you better be working for the most upscale burger place in the world. Demand and get a wage more than it is worth to the owner of the burger joint, however, and you won't have a job for long. If the government forces the issue, the burger joint will likely not stay in business for long and nobody will have a job at any amount.

Smart people work for burger joints because they don't need to make a lot of money and they ENJOY working for the burger joint - or - they are building a work ethic, and references to qualify for something better. Stupid people work there even though they hate it and don't make enough money because they simply have not qualified themselves to do anything else.

And then there are people who work at a burger joint because they can't do anything else.

And then there are people who work at a burger joint because they can't do anything else.

Why can't they do anything else?

Forum List

Back